It's time for KI to get a new front gate!

Shaggy

I do not feel that a new front gate is needed. At the time being, it serves its function quite well, even if it might be dated as some might feel. Just because it is dated does not mean it is does not serve its function. A person might drive a 20 year old car that is in very good shape does not mean he should buy a new one with all the fancy options. It might be remodeled down the road but that would be all it would need. Maybe sometime in the future, a new sales/season pass processing center complex might be considered with efficient line queues. It could include restrooms, sales windows including group and will call areas and even a shops and a drink stand for added sales when guests leave and enter the park. With this complex, maybe even a new and improved Pet Daycare Center that is not hidden from view for guests trying to locate it for their pets.

• Like 2

I mentioned the front gate being remodeled sometime down the road. But believe me, the kennel has not been touched since it was built following the construction of the ride formerly known as Faceoff and now Invertigo when the former kennel was torn down where the lift hill is now. It would not be hard to include a new kennel if they were to build a new season pass/sales complex.

According to you, the kennel is too outdated and should get a facelift because it is just over a decade old? I have news for you; Kings Island's front gate has looked the same since 1973. First impressions are everything, so why shouldn't the front gate get a much more attractive look? Dogs don't seem to care about aesthetics as much as humans, anyways.

• Like 2

The kennel is not outdated but guests do not want their pets in the heat even if there are fans. Some guests have ask why it is not inside where it is air conditioned. But outdated is not the issue. Nothing has been done to it since it was built. The elements have taken a toll on the dog cage area with the fans, lighting, overhead insulation and other things needing attention. What I am saying if they were to build a new sales/season pass building complex, it would not be hard to include the kennel in the design. Right now, we are next door to the sales complex and both could be included in any new building. The current sales buildings were constructed in the early 80's and it could be made more efficient in getting guests in and out of both sales and season pass processing. Now we don't need a new front gate complex but it could be remodeled. As it is now, it serves its function in getting guests into the park. Most other parks only have the gate to serve as turnstiles for guests to enter and exit the park and shops. But ours serve a much great purpose with the second story that serves as a food preparation area for the entire park and group functions. It just needs rehabbed from time to time like the guest services center was a few years back.

Only include a kennel in any NEW sales and season pass complex construction. We are all in the same department, which includes admissions and guest services. Both the kennel and the NEW sales, season pass complex would be included in the new building and not apart. The current kennel would be in the way in any new construction and we can share the same offices and functions now included with the current building, which include HVAC, which we do not share. With a NEW sales and season pass complex, we would share the same HVAC, plumbing, have access with each other without going outside, have access to a new restroom which would be included, have more security cameras and we could provide support for each other. But the only reason for the new kennel is the current kennel would be in the way of construction as both areas would share the same building and not a separate building for each as it is now. Now if in the future the park decides to add a new camp grounds, we will be almost filled to capacity on a regular basis like it was when we had the old camp ground. But that is only and if the park decides to include a new camp ground, either on their own or if a private came ground is built somewhere near the park. But a camp ground is a different thread.

The old guest services was nothing more than a couple windows for guests to interact with the people inside. The guest services were enlarged with the new lobby that took out the wall where the admission entrance was for employees and office space inside was taken for the improved guest services. Guests do not have to wait outside of the old window to speak with a guest services person. So rather than the former area that housed admission and guest services, it was enlarged for better access for the guests. The shops are operated by the merchandise department and it was not infringed upon with the former admission/guest services expansion. At the time guest services was expanded, it was felt it was needed to better serve the parks guests than the former arrangement, where they had to wait just to talk to someone.

As for the kennel, if and when they decide to tear down the current building and include all the features, the current kennel would obstruct the construction of the new building without going further out into the front of the park. With the new building, if and when it is built, it would be a single building housing both, which would include a sales area, season pass processing, group sales, will call, rest rooms, offices and such. But this is just my belief rather than just build an entire new front gate complex with all the current facilities.

Some might say it is broke.

Look at what SeaWorld in California is undertaking. A year-and-a-half-long expansion and remodeling of their entrance that will replace the very "1970s" set-up (also seen at Kings Island) with an immersive entrance that sets a tone and draws people in with unique architecture, touch pools, gardens, waterfalls, etc. Functionally, it also provides a more natural experience where people can easily redeem online tickets, use smartphone tickets to enter the park, purchase tours, front-of-the-line passes, dining plans, and more at one convenient spot, etc. The park wouldn't take on this massive project if they didn't think it would benefit them in the long run. I'm sure armies of industrial/organizational psychologists advise them that this setup will pay for itself. Buy a ticket, buy a dining plan, get a Fast Lane, and schedule your day in one spot.

Meanwhile, major parks across the country are taking advantage of new technologies to make entering the park smoother. SeaWorld parks, Busch Gardens parks, Universal's Orlando parks, and Walt Disney World parks already use touch-and-go fingerprint scanning on multi-day tickets and passes (eliminating the need for costly, manned photographing of pass-holders or the absolutely ludicrous "sign your name on the back of the ticket" that Kings Island currently sometimes remembers to use).

Walt Disney World has tested RFID technology that removes gates completely and allows radio-frequency-transmitting tickets to scan on contact at the open entrance. This allows one employee to man a number of entrance portals, and reduces the time taken to let in strollers or people in wheelchairs.

In other words, Cedar Fair has (in the past) been slow or even resistant to allow technology into the parks. Just because we've gotten used to that doesn't mean it's still the standard. In fact, things can be much smoother and simpler while also benefitting the park. Not saying Cedar Fair's seasonal parks ought to switch to RFID scanners, but there's a happy medium.

• Like 3

• 10 months later...

The radiant heat from the black top on a cold night, oddly enough, is rather comforting....

As far as the front gate is concerned, I would love to see an open plaza with fountains, water features with shade trees and entry gates similar to Disney with very minimal obstruction of view of International street. It would be nice to have the "International" back into the shops on the street with products and foods from around the world too....and Jungle Jim's could sponsor, if they were so inclined....

• Like 1

More so than the front gate, I would rather them replace all the terrible asphalt inside the park with pavers.

My wife gives you a 'like' as well. She is from California and never had been to Kings Island until I took her in 2009, she loves the pavers and is starting to love KI more every year since Cedar Fair took over. I remember her not wanting to really ride anything because the park looked and felt unsafe to her, it was hard to convince her it use to be beautiful, now she is seeing the improvements being made and loves the direction the park is heading so far. I have yet to hear her complain about the front gate however?

• Like 2

Who knows? It was Paramount Parks. They did lots of strange things.

I assumed it was when they went to scannable tickets, it made it that both regular tickets and passes could go through the same turnstiles. Which, in turn, removed the need for a second entrance for passholders and employees to man that entrance.

Of course, it happened in a period of time when I wasn't hitting the park much, so my timing could be off.