It's time for KI to get a new front gate!

Shaggy

That building was such a memory to go into this weekend.

Seeing the pipes for the fog/water/ect. on the side, then the mural still on the wall, just brilliant.

What I would do to tour through there with no haunt on the floor and see what all is still there honestly. Plus it's been a dream of mine to go up to the control booth and peer out into where that ride used to be.

One of my fond memories I truly miss

• Like 2

That building was such a memory to go into this weekend.

Seeing the pipes for the fog/water/ect. on the side, then the mural still on the wall, just brilliant.

What I would do to tour through there with no haunt on the floor and see what all is still there honestly. Plus it's been a dream of mine to go up to the control booth and peer out into where that ride used to be.

One of my fond memories I truly miss

The control booth sucks. You can't see much and you needed cameras to see down to the gondola. That building is an eyesore. It was even when they had a ride in there and it needs to go.

• Like 2

I think it's my fascination with dark/closed rides

Like for instance I was always DYING to see inside of DT at CP during a trough walk...it was pretty lame, but I got to see and do things you don't normally experience...

Same with Crypt, seeing that building lit up and stuff, just made it seem different. I agree the building is pretty lame, and especially now, when it had the ride I didn't care. However, it's a huge box, you can't expect them to get too involved in everything outside that's not really needed per the ride experience.

Also while on the subject of the building, they need to air it out, when we went in for the tour, nice moldy smells and dusty, you could tell they have barely been in there or even at all prior to the event. But ugh what I'd do to see that ride there again, even it's 2011 incarnation. Sucky ride cycle or not, the queue music and ride music fit very nice, and it was a pleasant break through my days there.

• Like 1

Fair enough but it would be nice to have such of a lovely entrance to greet the guests as they come it, the thing about the gate right now is that it is kind of like Disney, emphasizes on kind of, but when you standing there you can't really see much other than Drop Tower an Invertigo, it kind of hides everything else and builds everything up even more.

But if they could maybe spruce it up a bit like this rendering or even this one, I would definitely approve, I actually don't think it would cost all that much and it would really be a big step towards reviving the park to the former glory.

The front gate looks like the back of an office building...they need to open up the area and incorporate the old tram plaza with more trees and maybe a few shops around the circle. I think it would look beautiful open in this way, similar to SeaWorld Orlando. the outside shops are always a last minute sell by the park and it works. Plus opening up the area to view the fountain from outside would be so inviting to visitors....they won't want to wait to get inside.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

That looks better than Carowinds' new maingate.....

Welcome to the Carowinds Fairgrounds.

Carowinds new gate is nice...until you find out what the old one looked like. Then you want to throw up a little.
That is exactly my point, Carowinds had a beautiful Disney-style gate. It was a Southern Plantation House and was one of the few things left in the park that hadn't been remodeled. Carowinds told ACE members at C3 that Paramount management didn't maintain the structure, it has water damage and needed a new HVAC system. Paramount hadn't ran Carowinds since 2006, this was 2014. Cedar Fair management deserves half or more of the blame too. I love Fury but there is more to a park than coasters. The old maingate was like "Welcome Home", the new one says "Welcome to the fair" to me. Between the Plantation House and Thunder Road, Carowinds is murder the heart and soul of it's park.
  • Like 8

The new haunt entrance is a really nice touch. I don't think it would look good come the regular 2016 season, It doesn't really give off an international street feel to it. They could easily give the current entrance an international street, facelift without actually having to build a new entrance.

• Like 1

Excuse me?

A fair entrance?

Some are QUITE impressive.

See Minnesota. The Great New York State. Texas. Kentucky, even....

Some may be, but the average fair entrance isn't usually impressive. Maybe my fair exposure hasn't been as nice as yours.

How about this?

State fair grounds' entrances - usually really good.

County fair grounds' entrances - usually nothing special (sometimes non-existent)

Because when I was thinking of fairs, I was thinking of the several county fairs I've been to, not the one state fair I've been to.

• Like 2

Good point on the Ki entrance, maybe in the coming years, they can do a Kings Dominion and revamp International Street, with a soundtrack, revamping buildings, and an entrance facelift that will not require building a new entrance.  

• Like 5

Since there's an elevator that possibly goes to the International Restaurant, I would love to see them do some work up there and reopen it.

Regarding International Street, I would love for the shops to get names that go with their architecture a bit more. A new soundtrack is a no brainer. I would love walking down I Street listening to "La Vie En Rose" by Mantovani and his Orchestra, Sabre Dance by Aram Khachutarian, Hoedown by Copland, and the theme to "A Summer Place" by Percy Faith.

• Like 6

Since there's an elevator that possibly goes to the International Restaurant, I would love to see them do some work up there and reopen it.

Regarding International Street, I would love for the shops to get names that go with their architecture a bit more. A new soundtrack is a no brainer. I would love walking down I Street listening to "La Vie En Rose" by Mantovani and his Orchestra, Sabre Dance by Aram Khachutarian, Hoedown by Copland, and the theme to "A Summer Place" by Percy Faith.

Head to the Mouse if you're looking for ambient music that matches your surroundings. I may be wrong, but I recall that the IR elevator still exists and is used.