Beast water

DBInternational

Hey guys,

Just DB with a question reguarding the history of KI. I know that The Beast at one point in time had water beneath the station and first turn of the ride back in the 80s. But why and when did they drain the water? And is this the same water from the lake with the canoe ride?

Thanks,

DBI

They drained it because it was a stagnant pool with no filtration or cycling system. The water just sat without moving day in and day out. It then became more of a swamp than a lake, drawing bugs and even worse, trash.

• Like 1

ok i was trying to find his post about it but cant remember what topic it was under but someone recently asked this question and Don himself answered it, he stated the water was drained a few years before Vortex's construction for the reasons stated above

As said, it was being more of a pain than a great thing! Now i could see a certain use of materials to make a new version of the "lake", with a filtration system, live fish, and the use of soil and rocks. A little known fact, if you go to The Beast after a rain, you will see the old lake persay!

It is not a big deal, but.....

I still have questions when the lake was removed as I can remember vividly in the mid 90's the lake still being present.

I brought my then g/f to KI for her first trip and remeber her getting sprayed in the front train queue near the paddle wheel (it was something about her hair :) ).

I'd love to see a return of some kind with water. Rivertown really has lost touch with the original idea it was based off of. We lost the Mining Co area, Swan Lake, Beast Lake, KCKC, Kings Mills Log Flume (when the ride was originally park of Rivertown), the Back porch stage, The old west show during the train ride, and most importantly... trees. I really don't feel that "old water town" presence it once had.

• Like 1

Thanks Cobra - I was just moving from Mobile device to Computer to check, but didn't see any water in the POV.

As for the erosion concern, not sure I buy that as the water only contacted the concrete foundation (footers/footings - I never remember which) as shown in this picture (copied from TopGun1993 - Flashback to Opening thread)

DAMsv.jpg