Front Seat

emileeee

...Mantis, Raptor, the Raven, the Voyage, and Invertigo are good in the front, but not so much that I'm willing to wait more than two or three extra trains for it. Otherwise, I mostly prefer the back.

Raven is a thousand times better in the back imo. The ejector air on 'the woods drop' is one of the highlights of the ride!

I guess I am missing something in regards to Flight Deck. It seems a lot of people here enjoy it in the front but I have always thought of it as a back of the train ride.

I'm not a big fan of ejector air. I'll try the back again on Friday, though.

On Flight Deck, you get more swinging action the closer to the front you go. Also, FD is consistently fast, and nothing beats the wind in your face combined with the most swinging action.

Maverick. Otherwise, it isn't worth my time.

Oddly, on The Georgia Cyclone, I only ride the very back, preferably the right side. And the forces on The New Texas Giant are much, much stronger in the back.

On Vortex and other Arrow steel loopers, I ride in 5-1, the seat that Ron Toomer designed to be the optimal one.

I completely agree; Maverick is front seat only. I still have a lot of parks I'd like to visit, but of the ones I've been to Maverick is definitely a favorite in the front seat.

Maverick. Otherwise, it isn't worth my time.

Oddly, on The Georgia Cyclone, I only ride the very back, preferably the right side. And the forces on The New Texas Giant are much, much stronger in the back.

On Vortex and other Arrow steel loopers, I ride in 5-1, the seat that Ron Toomer designed to be the optimal one.

I completely agree; Maverick is front seat only. I still have a lot of parks I'd like to visit, but of the ones I've been to Maverick is definitely a favorite in the front seat.

I forgot that in my first post. Maverick goes with Flight Deck in the "refuse to ride anywhere else" category for me.

My Fiance' and I rode The Beast second car, back seat from the rear of the train last night. Normally because my girl had been afraid of Rollercoasters before meeting me, we are slowly working of the courage to get to the front row. We always ride middle on everything. Since The Beast has been refurbished, it rides like a dream. Now, when I rode last night, we were given double rides as we were the 2nd to last train out of the station. (i don't know if it has to do with recycling the order of the trains, but who's complaining...RIGHT? LOL :lol: ) Anywho...the first ride was really really bumpy and then when they sent us out again...of course I was for it, but thought, here comes the headache. We rode again, same car, same people in the same position and HAD THE SMOOTHEST TIME AND RIDE OF OUR LIVES!!!! Two DIFFERENT RIDES!!! So, I don't know how to answer the question. We also rode during the HOT AFTERNOON on The Beast. It was in the middle and it was the bumpiest ride ever as well. Doest it have something to do with the expansion of the track and the wood and the night time returning it back to normal???

I don.t really ride any coaster in the very front unless it happens to be no line or the shortest line. However I love riding DB in the second row. When you get to the top of that first hill and look down and your not able to see any of the track to the ground it is absolutely breath taking. Plus being in the second row you and the person next to you are not hitting each other in the head while trying to keep your hands up the whole time.

On all the reset of the coasters I prefer to ride in the back.

Generally, I ride all launched coasters, inverted or suspended coasters, or any other coasters with inversions (with the exception of 4th dimensionals) in the front seat.

Otherwise I ride any giga coasters, hyper coasters, wooden coasters, and of course 4th dimensional coasters in the very back seat.

If the ride is a flying coaster, mine train coaster, or any other non-inversion coaster under 200 feet, I just ride wherever has the shortest line, as the ride experience, in my opinion, is the same in all seats.

If smoothness is your goal, the middle seat in a CAR in a 3 bench wooden coaster train is smoother than the front, which is partially over a wheel. The second row or next to last row are both smoother than the front seat on Beast. The most airtime is typically found in the back row of the front car. See Magnum or Racer, for example.

I can't believe I almost forgot it, but I've had some legendary rides on Magnum in the front car. The trimless ride I once had in 2008 after a heavy rain was absolutely insane. I've never had ejector air come close in intensity since, and my lap is thanking me for that.

Besides that, there's also Flight Deck, like others have said. I also enjoy riding towards the front on GCI's, particularly Thunderhead (where the front row, despite my preferences, entirely blows the back out of the water.) There are aspects of riding in the front on The Racer, Invertigo, and Blue Streak (CP) that I enjoy, but I don't have to sit there.

I moreso make a point to sit in the last row on coasters. Be glad the topic isn't about that, because I could probably write a book about the last rows on Adventure Express, Voyage, Legend, and Raven. Or Kennywood's Thunderbolt and Jack Rabbit. Or Dollywood's Tennessee Tornado. Or...

• 1 month later...

Most of the coasters, I prefer the back or near the back. The Beast? The next to the last row. Most wooden coasters I ride in the MIDDLE seats. If not available, I go for the front seat of the last car. There have been only 3 coasters that I truly felt were the best front seat rides: Shivering Timbers, X or X 2, and Dragging Iron (or is it Iron Dragon).

• Like 1

I rarely ride in the front seat of coasters but occasionally I like the front of Vortex or The Beast. The front of Diamondback was quite an experience, too.

*pukes* Ugh! I hate the front seat on Diamondback! Sure, it's quite the view, but the airtime there is terrible. I much prefer the back seat.

For the front? I would say Flight of Fear LEFT SIDE ONLY (farthest from the loading gates), The Beast sometimes but not often (I much prefer the back), Mystery Mine, Thunderhead, Iron Wolf, Maverick (or like Terp said, not worth my time), Mean Streak... I could go on, but I doubt anyone cares!

Decided to try the front seat on Diamondback today..rode as a single rider and thoroughly enjoyed the "oh sh*t" look on the guy's face that was sitting next to me as we crested the lift hill and began the first drop. As we don't live locally this was only my third ride on Diamondback but enjoyed this one as much as the other two so far.

Also sat in the front seat on racer with our 8 year old son and he LOVED it!!!! His reaction was much more important than any thoughts I had about it.

I have to have rows 1 or 2 on Diamondback. I favor Row 2 on Beast and Racer for smoothness, but I also really enjoy the front row. On Vortex, it has to be 1-1 for the view, or 5-1 for the smoothness, no exceptions. I prefer row 6 on Backlot, and any seat in the back half of the train on Flight of Fear. On Firehawk, I usually have no say in the matter, but I've noticed no real difference. Finally, on Flight Deck, it's gotta be the front. Did I miss any at KI?

Outside KI, my only preference is that I be in the front on any B&M standups or inverts that I may ride. Afterburn in the front seat was the greatest coaster experience I've ever had, other than night rides on The Beast, or any ride on Vortex.

If I'm riding a new ride for the first time I usually decide by the following:

If the ride has parabolic-shaped hills, then it's probably a front-seat ride. There are some exceptions to this (Apollo's Chariot, Raging Bull and El Toro come to mind) but this rule usually holds pretty true to form.

If the ride has inversions then it's likely a backseat ride. Maverick and the two wingriders are really the only exceptions I can think of to this (and even then I wouldn't really classify Maverick first and foremost as a "looper"). I'll note that all B&M inverteds are MUCH better in the last row, even after accounting for the visuals you get in the front. Same goes for the B&M dive coasters.

Wood tends to be all over the place for me. I generally prefer the back, but GCIs like Prowler and Thunderhead deliver some fantastic air in the front. Shivering Timbers is also a front seat ride. Most others, however, I generally prefer in the back seat.

...If the ride has inversions then it's likely a backseat ride. Maverick and the two wingriders are really the only exceptions I can think of to this...

...Shivering Timbers is also a front seat ride...

I found Wild Eagle to be 1000x better in the than in the back than in the front and while I love Shivering Timbers in any seat, I think the back delivers a better ride. It is really interesting to hear everyone's opinion on all these rides. Love topics like this!

It is obviously up to preference. But the ride is also a factor. Such as if you like airtime the back is wear you want because if your in the front your allready pretty far down the hill before you pick up speed, but in the back you get whipped over hill very fast.

For me it mostly about the air time but for some rides the front does have soom benefits in certains circumstances. Like when i rode the manta ( at seaworld )

we rode in the font one time and in the back the other time. I found the time in the front much more enjoyable then in the back. But that ride a flying coaster with a lot of scenery. but for most rides the back is where it's at

I prefer The Beast, Vortex, and Diamondback in the front row. Every great once in a while, I'll get the urge to ride Diamondback in Row 16.

Honorable mentions on Vortex...7-1 will actually startle you with the amount of airtime on the first drop, and as Terpy mentioned 5-1 is the recommended seat on this ride, as Ron Toomer designed the ride experience around this very seat.