Trip Report 5/27-5/28

HWBeast1039

First off, I want to apologize for the length of this. I wrote it on my phone on the drive back

I  went to Kings Island for the first time in 2012 on May 27-28. I was eager to see all the changes everyone had mentioned. The first ride of the day was Diamondback. Diamondback had not changed. Still fast and full of venom. The crowds on the 27th were great, barely 20 minute waits at the most. Next was The Beast. I was excited to ride it since it had parts retracked. It was wonderful! I didn't have to grit my teeth and have a death grip on the lapbar. I could just sit back and enjoy the ride. Next was The Vortex. It was great. It rides like it's not a day over 20. The Racer was next, and hopefully, next on the retrack list. It was downright unpleasant. I couldn't put my hands up for fear of getting jarred into pieces. I am usually shocked at how smooth it is. Not this year. Continuing in the cycle, next was Adventure Express. The first time I came to Kings Island, I hated Adventure Express. But the more times I go, the more it grows on me. I respect it. Next was Flight Deck. Every time I go to Kings Island I try to ride Flight Deck as much as I can because, being an Arrow Suspended Coaster, and seeing how there is never a line, I feel that it could go at any time. It's also one of my favorite rides. People always rip on Flight Deck and the Iron Dragon for being slow, short, etc,  but I love them. Next we got a bite to eat, and then I rode WindSeeker. There was no line. I waited one ride cycle and then got on. Since it was so hot, (did I mention it was 100 degrees?) the breeze was fantastic. We went on Diamonback and The Beast again, then we left to check in at the hotel. Since we had platinum passes, we expected to re-enter with no problems. Nope. Apparently you can't get free parking twice in one day without showing some paper work. The lady made us pay the $12 to park. We still got preferred parking. While my mom went to have a talk with the head office, my dad, brother, and I went to get in the park. Again, being two-year platinum pass holders, we expected it to be routine. Wrong again. Apparently you can't get 'scanned' into the park more than once in a day because it messes up the attendance counter. But the lady at the turnstile was cool. Her son went to Indiana and since my brother was wearing an Indiana shirt (Go Hoosiers) she let us in with no problems. My mom ended up getting the $12 refunded.  We rode Diamondback again. Following that was a sunset ride on The Beast. We rode in the front. With the smoothness, the breeze, and the sunset park view on the second lift hill, it was downright magical. Next was a night ride on Flight Deck and Adventure Express. Something I notice about roller coasters. In the day, they are just hunks of man-made steel and wood. At night they have their own personalities, like they are living, breathing entities. It was overall one of the best days at Kings Island. 

Memorial Day was great, too. But, we had to pay $8 to park and they wouldn't let us have preferred parking. The lines were good today, too. The longest we waited was during Diamondback ERT. We rode all the stuff we did the first day. Next I experienced the new moral of the Kings Island employees. We were walking towards the bright new blue Invertigo when an employee stopped us. She said, " I'm going to need you step back. Can't you see we're closed?"  First off, there was no trashcan at the entrance to show that it was closed. Next off, we were a good one hundred feet from the entrance. It's not like we were in the station trying to hop on a broken coaster. A simple "Sorry, the ride it closed," would have sufficed. Next we went on Backlot Stunt Coaster. I had a drink in my hand. I asked one of the employees if there was anywhere I could put it while I was riding. She said, "You have to take it with you." The way she said it sent chills down my spine. It was like she was being sarcastic to a toddler. Way rude and uncalled for. But, the good news is that I stayed plenty  hydrated during the ride. 

So, all in all it was a great trip to Kings Island. But, other than the smoothness of The Beast, I didn't see any of the great changes that everyone had mentioned.

It was overall one of the best days at Kings Island.

I didn't see any of the great changes that everyone had mentioned.

It looks like you didn't need to see the changes to enjoy them. :)

Was the $8 you had to give them the difference to upgrade into preferred parking?

It was overall one of the best days at Kings Island.

I didn't see any of the great changes that everyone had mentioned.

It looks like you didn't need to see the changes to enjoy them. :)

Was the $8 you had to give them the difference to upgrade into preferred parking?

That's the thing. They made us pay $8 AND wouldn't let us have preferred parking.

Yes with a pass you still need to get your hand stamped to re-enter the park, season passes are only good for one visit per day.

Season passes only good for one visit a day, so get your hand stamped on the way out if you are gonna be returning.

Parking - keep your receipt and you can re-enter all day long.

Keeping the reciept for parking is new this year, but getting your hand stamped to return to the park in the same day has always been that way as long as i can remember.

When you entered the parking tolls they should've mentioned to you that passes only scan once and you need to have a reciept to re-enter the parking tolls without being charged again.

If you have any questions with the admissions process of the park let me know and i will be happy to explain it to you :)