For those of us who visit CP check this out

stky6

Well, that sucks. They have now taken out 1 few coasters I can get my son to ride, and now they are going to take out the other...when is Iron Dragon getting axed, so my son has nothing left.

We also loved the space spiral. I love to get up and look out, but not a huge fan of the open air ones like the ferris wheel and the sky ride. I have a very young child that loves to climb and prefer something more "enclosed" with him...

I won't miss DT but it is sad to see a family attraction go. I will kinda miss seeing Space Spiral but not nearly as much as Demon Drop... and to be fair, I don't miss seeing DD any more.

I am crazy excited about seeing the beach front opened up and the idea of a winged coaster coming out into the parking lot sounds epic! All in all, I think this is a great move for CP

With the X-Flight having rave reviews in Chicago, seems only fitting that Ouimet would get the "coaster" wars going again. I know I am going to hear it for that term but honestly, Cedar Point loves to have its name in lights and the flagship park for Cedar Fair better have something new to hang its hat on other than Mille. Mille will one day lose its luster for certain fans

With the X-Flight having rave reviews in Chicago, seems only fitting that Ouimet would get the "coaster" wars going again.

I don't see this as a "coaster wars" move due to removal of a coaster.

I do see this as steering away from just "focusing" on families though.

The question would be: would this Wing Rider use themed set pieces and perhaps the new entrance to have famous "near misses?" Maybe travel through a "keyhole" right in the center of the entrane turnstiles? :P One can dream. Hahha

Sigh.

If the article is true, another one of my "non-obvious" favorites bites the dust. Chaos, Demon Drop, WildCat, Disaster Transport. That leaves only Cedar Downs on my list of "non-obvious" favorites there. Not to mention one of my favorite haunts at CP, Happy Jack's Toy Factory (which could always be moved though). And by the time I get a chance to go up there this year, DT will probably be gone to make room for construction, so I've probably already had my last ride on it. And with so few bobsleds left... When does Flying Turns open again?

Sigh.

All I can say is, this wing rider better be better than Wild Eagle. WE is good for Dollywood, but it's my 2nd least favorite coaster there (least favorite being Veggie Tales).

Sigh.

I'm very mixed about the addition. I've been waiting for a new roller coaster at Cedar Point. To me, none of the additions since Maverick have been that exciting. Knowing that this will be the longest wing rider is great since the others seem to be a little short.

I am sad to see Disaster Transport go. My family goes on a trip to Cedar Point once a year. While my Mom doesn't ride much, she loved Wildcat and Disaster Transport. While these weren't my favorite rides, I enjoyed getting to ride them with my Mom. Now all that remains is Iron Dragon for her to ride. While I'm sure that the ride will be great and may possibly become one of my favorites, I wish it wasn't at the loss of one of my Mom's favorite rides.

• Like 1

If this article turns out to be true, I'll be sad that DT will be leaving, but excited for a

new coaster.

In all honesty, DT is a guilty pleasure coaster for me....in fact on the 19th DaveStroem and I rode DT 10 times in a row, without getting off, traveling through the curtain on a little bit of track that many can't say they've ridden on.

I will miss it for sure....hope Happy Jack's finds a new home!

So...this probably isn't the best title for this thread...something a little more descriptive would probably prevent duplicate threads popping up. (Not to mention--actually describe what this thread is about...)

I find it interesting that the Sandusky Register says that this information is taken from a memo written to the board of directors in February, but no mention of how they obtained it. I'd say this almost sounds like an internal leak done on purpose, but why? Seems like they'd get a lot more bang for their PR buck having a big, flashy media event announcing it a little later in the Summer.

Quick note: I can almost guarantee Ouimet did not take the reins less than a year ago and say, "I want a coaster for next year!" Coaster planning takes TIME. Also, Kinzel stated before he left there would be big news for 2013. So no, Ouimet is not starting the "coaster wars" back up, nor is he straying one bit from HIS vision of being more family friendly. This is most definetly the old regime's handiwork. Just sayin'

:)

I personally enjoyed both DT and SS, but honestly, love the sound of opening up the view of the lake and the new coaster flying over the entrance. I think it'll be a fun addition. I wouldn't be surprised to see more family-friendly additions in future years to make up for the loss of WC, DT and SS. Only time will tell...

I am sad to see Disaster Transport go. But, here's the way I see it in terms of what could come to Kings Island in a few years. In 2008, 2009, and 2010, CW, KI, and Carowinds all got Hypercoasters. In 2010 and 2012, KD and CW got Gigacoasters, and CP already has one. So if CP gets a WingRider in 2013 it could set off a ripple effect for other Cedar Fair Parks. Always be optimistic. At first glance, it seems Ouimet is butchering CP's record of the most roller coasters. But to me, it's not about having the most it's about having the best quality coasters. Most of Magic Mountain's coasters are cookie-cutters, while Cedar Point's are unique and the best in the world. I'm sure this WingRider will be the best one we've ever seen.

I enjoyed both Wild Eagle and X-Flight and think a wing rider would be a good addition for CP. I found W.E. to be a better overall ride experience than X-F. Probably because of its location on top the hill and zooming past the trees more so than the bland, flat, blacktopped atmosphere of X-F. The only thing I really enjoyed more on X-F was the keyhole element. Yes, the first drop inversion was pretty cool, but it really seemed to make the ride fell a lot slower than if it had a straight forward first drop. That could also have been a result of not really having a frame of reference as to how fast you are going without the trees to gauge your speed. I think the possible CP installation will be really interesting because you will have the beach and lake for a great view and atmosphere, but you will also have the bland, flat, blacktopped area surrounding the coaster also.

As far as me wanting KI to receive a similar ride in the future.....eeeehhhh? It's not really all that important to me. I can't say my rides on W.E. or X-F were any better than the rides I've had on MOST (keyword there) B&M inverts or floorless coasters. I would be just as happy, if not more so, to see one of those 2 types of coasters show up in the park before a wing rider. Not that any of those have been have been installed recently. KI does really need something "smooth" with multiple inversions that can replace Vortex in the very near future.

I think I'll just wait until next year to make a trip to Cedar Point. This is going to be another great addition. Not sorry to see DT go, I thought it was really boring and felt it only warranted one lap and have been several times since 2000 when I first started going to CP.

With the X-Flight having rave reviews in Chicago, seems only fitting that Ouimet would get the "coaster" wars going again. I know I am going to hear it for that term but honestly, Cedar Point loves to have its name in lights and the flagship park for Cedar Fair better have something new to hang its hat on other than Mille. Mille will one day lose its luster for certain fans

However, this is likely not Ouimet at all. Big projects, such as coasters (if they are being designed brand new for a park, and not a transplant) usually take a few years to plan. As was mentioned on here before, Kinzel stated last year that there would be a big announcement for CP this year. I wouldn't put it past anyone that Ouimet may have added a bit of a twist to the plans. Like Goodyellowkorn, I am hoping for at least a little bit of nice themeing to go along with this new ride. It appears to work very well with the other two installations, and would make an already unique coaster even more unique. Not just another bland pad on concrete with a bare red coaster sitting on top.

The company will do what's financially fitting though....

*Anyone else notice that so far under Ouimet, we have/will be losing two dark rides, which is the complete oppositie of what many of us were thinking. Hopefully we will get some nice dark rides in the future, but I can see the point, CF's dark rides, for the most part, were mediocre. The company did not place much an emphasis on them on planning (even though TR:TR was a Paramount addition, and the licensing was strict, I'm sure the company could have been much more creative) and on upkeep. Hopefully, we'll see most of that change.

You sort of just contradicted yourself. As you just said, this is likely not a Ouimet plan. Also, this has been rumored for quite some time.

I am thrilled to see this plan come to fruition. If Ouimet did get involved, I'm really hoping there was some theming added to this like KIBOB said above. I'm over the Cedar Fair Buy it, build it, profit deal.

You sort of just contradicted yourself.

I suppose, what I meant to say was that the Crypt had been shut down, which appears to be a recent descision. No, Ouimet may not have anything to do with the removal of DT, I'm just saying how weird it is that the opposite of what many of us may have been thinking would happen is happening. :)