Cedar Point to remove Disaster Transport & Space Spiral for B&M Wing

Per Sandusky Register:

Code-named “CP Alt.Winged,” the coaster will have the “longest drop, run the fastest and be the longest ride” of its kind, Cedar Fair CEO Matt Ouimet wrote in Feb. 15 memo to Cedar Fair’s board of directors.

http://www.sanduskyr...ld-coaster-2013

Given the early release of this, I assume work to begin soon.

This does not necessarily mean the "coaster wars" are back on by any means, but this certianly ends the notion that CF's new chief is only partial to family rides.

• Like 1

I can't imagine that CP/Engineers couldn't work the coaster around Space Spiral... rather I think the execs feel SS no longer serves a purpose. CP has always been pretty transparent in their installs. When they start "working on an area" - shifting rides or revitalizing nearby attractions - you can bet they are making way for a coaster. Hence I think that the initial thought of a coaster taking DT's spot has been in the works for sometime. Re-development of the area no doubt cast a speculative eye on the usefulness of SS... Thus last year CP got a version of WindSeeker which, more or less, serves the same purpose as the Spiral in a much more modern/marketable way.

I am one of those old schoolers that rode DT prior to it being enclosed. I rode the year it opened as Avalanche run and distinctly recall being dissapointed with it. When Avalanche Run opened, people waited for hours in excruciatingly hot sun reflecting off the water (long before the park began covering queues and using fan misters.) The benefit of it being enclosed and turned into DT was that you no longer baked in the sun waiting for it. But enclosed or not, the ride never was a redeemable one. You wait(ed) eons for a coaster that never delivers - it's just eh. Finally, I never thought of it as a "family" coaster - it wasn't built to be a "family attraction." When it opened, it was promoted as a big-bad new coaster - so imagine the dissapointment it held. I always considered it a rare mis-step by CP that originally predicted it to be more thrilling than it turned out. Heck, Falfas was embarassed of the ride from the start.

As for WildCat - seems to me that removal was not pre-meditated. I would suspect it simply reached the end of it's maintenance life and the cost of maintaining overrode it's validity as an attraction. Wildcat was not marketable, the new nightime show is. Both are geared to families - so I dont think the park sees the loss of Wildcat as a loss to the family attractions - rather a trade off. In addition, Wildcat is easily replacable. It wouldn't surprise me to see CP install a small mouse-type ride to up the coaster ante - I don't expect it, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Ultimately, a ride or attraction must be markatable, viable, and crowd-drawing. Parks must survey if the turnstyles "turns" warrant a ride's upkeep and real-estate value. DT, SS and WC obviously do not meet those requirements.

• Like 2

For family friendly attractions to leave it does not make sense, removing DT will open the beach, Whatever Cedar Point does will be remarkable, interesting how the entrance will be to the park, forever changes, could this mean even moving the carousel?

Per Sandusky Register:

Code-named “CP Alt.Winged,” the coaster will have the “longest drop, run the fastest and be the longest ride” of its kind, Cedar Fair CEO Matt Ouimet wrote in Feb. 15 memo to Cedar Fair’s board of directors.

http://www.sanduskyr...ld-coaster-2013

Given the early release of this, I assume work to begin soon.

This does not necessarily mean the "coaster wars" are back on by any means, but this certianly ends the notion that CF's new chief is only partial to family rides.

Actually this says to me that the coaster wars aren't back on, because if they still cared about having the most coasters they would find a way to keep DT. This will not increase their count. Of course if the coaster wars is about quality not quantity their hasn't been a cometitive war for years.

Why does everyone think that CP doesn't have a lot of family friendly attractions? They have not 1, not 2 but 3 great children's sections, not one but two antique car rides, one turnpike ride, a great train, Cedar Fair Mine Ride, need I go on? Plus what do you define as a family attraction? There are families who love thrill rides like roller coasters and families who can't stand them. Just sayin.

• Like 1

could this mean even moving the carousel?

Assuming you mean Midway Carousel (1912 Muller), it was moved in 1994 to accomadate raptor. The outside row was moved in slightly and became non motion and the mechanical parts rebuilt. In my opinion it has not run the same since the move, but it still operates daily which many of its era are no more.

Why does everyone think that CP doesn't have a lot of family friendly attractions? They have not 1, not 2 but 3 great children's sections, not one but two antique car rides, one turnpike ride, a great train, Cedar Fair Mine Ride, need I go on? Plus what do you define as a family attraction? There are families who love thrill rides like roller coasters and families who can't stand them. Just sayin.

I'm thinking of gentle rides. When my mom was recovering from an injury one year, the only rides she could ride were CP&LE RR, Midway and KK Carousel, Giant Wheel, Sky Ride, Cad, Antique, T-pike cars, Paddlewheel and Spiral. Not many to begin with before Paddlewheel was removed.

I will not miss Space Spiral nor Disaster Transport. I hate to be that person who complains about something good, but I will... Imagine a giant Intamin pre-fab woodie (think El Toro) along the beach! It could easily be "the best wooden roller coaster in the world." Cedar Point could market themselves as having the best roller coasters; wood or steel (Millennium Force & 13' woodie). Plus it would be great for the boardwalk area. Don't get my wrong, I am ecstatic that CP is finally getting a new coaster, I just feel as if they could of done something better. Regardless, it still isn't 100% official, and none of us have even seen the layout. For all we know, it may be better than El Toro!

Maybe Kings Island can receive an Intamin pre-fab instead? ;)

I would love to see Cedar Point/Cedar Fair let the public pick the name of the new coaster.

Any suggestions guys?

Mine is Steel Scorpion

After the public thought that Dragster H2O was a great name for Soak City's new water slide, I'm hoping they have nothing to do with it...

• Like 5

Given that we have information on a new coaster, and, there is a great amount of work to be done before opening day 2013, I assume work would begin during the season and DT/ SS would close early. (but I also assumed DT would be around for 2013, so you see how accurate I am! ;) )

When? Good question. Perhaps both rides will stay open.

But let's lay it all on the table. The park did not come out with this info, a local paper did. There is a possibility the info the paper provided is not 100% accurate.

So to answer your question :) , someone knows, it just has not been made public yet.

Even if the rides do close early, don't let that stop you from visiting the park. Neither ride is a game breaker & being closed should not sway your decison.

I'm pretty excited for 2013 at CP I'll miss the space spiral for nostalgic reasons, its still not the same without the sound of Demon Drop, but I'm really happy to see DT go. Its a big ugly eye sore on the inside and outside that will hopefully be relocated without the building.

The only concern I have is the location.

Hopefully this http://i.imgur.com/9aBM2.jpg

Doesn't turn into this http://cache.rcdb.com/0p1t33t81220fa11sg00bn.jpg

CP has really done a lot of nice landscaping in recent years but it is going to take a lot of work to make that back stage area look attractive.