Cedar Point to remove Disaster Transport & Space Spiral for B&M Wing

WOW... :wub:

Must...go...Cedar...Point...2013... (Not only for this, but also MF, TTD, Maverick, Magnum XL-200, Raptor, and even...Mean Streak, just to see how bad, if it really is bad, it is)

This ride looks incredible. Cedar Point has yet ANOTHER awesome steel coaster. I'd still want a great wooden coaster to balance them out more, though.

PS: (WARNING- End O' World Joke Ahead!) If a comet or planet or something tries to end the world on December 21st, I will blow it up. How? Well, I'll drive to Mason, Ohio and go to Sling Shot and remove the ball the riders are supposed to ride in. Then, I will attach Son of Beast. Then I fire...KABOOM!!! Yay, no more mean comet/evil planet (Or Son of Beast, but as for SS, I'd just re-install the rider ball when done)! If somehow SOB does not do it, I will fire The Crypt building, too... :P

• Like 2

^

Ahh yes...Blue Streak. A classic John Allen. Supposed to have better airtime than Racer (though I had a great ride on that coaster earlier this year from the front seat, red train, first train of the day on May 5th). Want to ride it as well if I do go to Cedar Point. And I also want to try the bigger wooden coaster in the rear of the park, having heard it has gotten better...or maybe not, but even if so, I have not been on a wooden coaster many have considered "rough" yet so...to see what they are talking about...(though I had a rough-as-heck ride on Voyage @ Holiday World in late 2011)...

They could still use another great wooden coaster though...Blue Streak's fine, and perhaps Mean Streak is manageable, but the steel-to-wood ratio is horrible. Even a kiddie wooden coaster would help. (Wonders if something like Wooden Warrior @ Quassy would feel out of place at Cedar Point...)

Blue Streak, especially in the front row, is a great ride.

I am firmly in the 'this looks awesome' camp as far as Gatekeeper goes. $30 million total investment is a very large chunk of the cap-ex budget. Add in the cost of of CGA's new woodie and that could very well be over half of what CF spends for 2013.

^^ Mean Streak isn't bad at all, over the offseason it got extreme re-tracking and is now pretty smooth for a woodie.

I wish I rode in whatever seat you were in. After the first drop and turnaround, it was as rough as ever. I admire Mean Streak Henry.

EDIT: Fixed Henry's name

This is like an out and back coaster on crack. I think it's going to be cool walking up to the entrance of the park and seeing a coaster run over your head. Definitely will awe the crowd before they enter the park. I was wondering whether or not to take a trip to Cedar Point next year, but now I think I know my answer now.

• Like 1

Gatekeeper looks awesome!

First impression: I really like how it flips upside down before you go down the first drop so that you feel like you're diving toward the ground. One of my favorite first drops on anything I've ridden is Firehawk for that reason. The keyhole elements look great as well.

After not making it up there this year, I absolutely HAVE to make a trip to CP next year.

• Like 4

^^ Mean Streak isn't bad at all, over the offseason it got extreme re-tracking and is now pretty smooth for a woodie.

I wish I rode in whatever seat you were in. After the first drop and turnaround, it was as rough as ever. I admire Mean Streak Harry.

It's Henry, not Harry. (Phantomtheater who has ridden with Henry a few times).

A little off-topic, but you should all know that not only is Mean Streak smoother, but they have cut-back the trim usage on the first drop. It still catches, but not nrealy as bad as recent years, and the number of trimless rides has increased quite a bit.

I'm no Mean Streak fan-boy, but I was quite impressed this season...went from a 1 to at least a 5 or 6...which is pretty incredible for this ride.

• Like 5

I heard it's the wheels that cause the roar. Remember Diamondback had the B&M Roar when it first opened, but because of complaints from the house development around KI they put different wheels on it to stop it from Roaring. I doubt they filled DB's track or supports with sand.

• Like 1

"A notable feature of Bolliger & Mabillard roller coasters is the box-section track. The running rails are connected to a box-section spine, instead of the circular spine used by other manufacturers. When a train travels around a box-section track, it creates a distinctive roaring sound, which is unique to this style of track. However, on some Boliiger & Mabillard roller coasters, such as Talon at Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom, the tracks filled with sand to reduce this noise.[28]"

While this information was C and Ped from Wiki, the information was initially gathered from "Talon Review" on americacoasters.com... as is stated in note 28.

What are the odds a new intern was not in charge of "leaking the information?

Cedar Point addresses Gatekeeper's leaked information

"It's certainly a challenge to keep anything like this a secret because there is so much interest in it," says John Hildebrandt, Cedar Point's vice president and general manager. "And that's wonderful. It's great to have people talking about us and feeling that passionate about our product and our rides. I love it."

The image renderings of Gatekeeper weren't the only spoiled info about the new attraction. In May, a leaked memo indicated that Cedar Point would be building a winged coaster for 2013.

http://www.wkyc.com/news/article/256115/110/Cedar-Point-addresses-Gatekeepers-leaked-information