Cedar Point to remove Disaster Transport & Space Spiral for B&M Wing

Oddly enough, I'm getting nostalgic about the loss of Disaster Transport. (I've never seen Space Spiral open even once in the visits I've had between 2005 and 2011. I haven't made it to Cedar Point this year.) It wasn't the most thrilling ride, and I didn't love it that much. For some reason, though, rides like DT, CCMR, Magnum, Gemini, Wildcat, Iron Dragon, Corkscrew, etc. all tend(ed) to define CP for me, at least in the years I've known it.

That's not to say that Millennium Force and Top Thrill Dragster aren't great rides--don't get me wrong. (Millennium's one of my favorite steel coasters, as a matter of fact.) I just think one of the things I liked the most about the place was that you have super-modern record-breaking rides like those, but then you've also got these really unique rides from the 60's-80's that are part of how Cedar Point got its current reputation. Maybe I'm the only one to whom that matters, but it's part of what I enjoy about the place.

That's also not to say that I'm not excited for Gatekeeper, either. I really like the name and creative use of the ride's location. (Name haters, let's face it: the ride's an adornment for the front gate. Cedar Point's got this reputation as the coaster park in the Midwest, at least with almost anyone I've ever encountered who knows about the place. Having a coaster built into the entrance of the park is a no-brainer.) The wing coaster style is practically unheard of around here by the average park guest, and it looks like it will likely eat through lines, which is something Maverick, which seems to me to still be riding its "newest coaster in the park" popularity, is lacking. Or here's hoping Gatekeeper pulls some the lines away from that ride, anyway. ;)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this is bittersweet for me, much like the removal of The Crypt.

• Like 9

SS has been a maintenance nightmare for some time. Spending excessive resources (time & money) anymore would be counterproductive.

It was a nice ride & I'm sad to see it go for nostalgic reasons.

The park has mentioned on a few occasions that the removal would take place during the off days in September.

• Like 1

Anyone who judges a ride before they ride it should not be allowed to consider themselves an enthusiast

And anyone who believes a ride is only worth riding or considered "thrilling" if it's at a set height, speed, or style should not be allowed to consider themselves an enthusiast, either.

• Like 4

When I noticed that they removed every bit of DT besides the metal box with the 12E, I was hoping they would use that as a surprise, unannounced fly-through element of Gatekeeper. It would have been a nice little addition, while at the same time sticking with the "nostalgia" shtick that was met with such fanfare the year that Racers trains were turned around.