Cedar Point to remove Disaster Transport & Space Spiral for B&M Wing

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This didn't seem worthy of a new thread, so I'll ask here:

What are the details of Coastermania 2013? I have searched here, pointbuzz, CP's site, google news, and haven't found much. I was sure that details came out by this time in prior years. The only info I've found for 2013 is a mention on pointbuzz's home page of the date: June 7.

We are thinking of a trip northward for some Gatekeeper ERTs!

Cedar Point: Gatekeeper coaster construction 'on schedule'

SANDUSKY -- The Gatekeeper scream machine is quickly taking shape, and Cedar Point officials say the new roller coaster's construction is right on schedule.

"The crews have been working 10-hour days, six days a week, through the snow and cold Lake Erie winds," spokesperson Annie Zelm says. "But it looks like they'll enjoy a momentary reprieve this week as temperatures climb to highs in the 50s by Saturday."

Zelm says approximately 40 percent of the ride's structure is complete.

"It's quickly approaching the main gate and Blue Streak, which is the turnaround point," she explains.

http://www.wkyc.com/news/article/277161/110/Cedar-Point-Gatekeeper-coaster-construction-on-schedule

I find this news interesting.

CP/ Sandusky area usually gets the same, if not better, weather than where I live in Erie, PA.

We are still over a foot less than normal for snow accumulation, and the temps have been above average for the most part, and GK is only "on schedule"?

This winter has been more significant than last year (by comparison, I only used my snowblower 3x last year and have already reached that amount this winter) but it is still mild by our standards.

Although, they may actually be ahead of schedule, but report to be "right on" in case something unexpected comes up.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't realize this was a SF coaster. I am happy though that pavilion 1 is still standing.

Hopefully, whoever would be in charge of the landscaping of the area will make it look much nicer than a "parking lot coaster". I can imagine parts of the lot near the ride may be demolished aswell.

Terp, while I agree most would be huffing, puffing and snickering. I am still not the a fan of parking lot coasters, i.e. Intimidator at Carowinds (I do like Dominator at KD), I feel that Gatekeeper will give a better experience than the typical parking lot coaster. Gatekeeper, will make riders feel like they're going somewhere, passing the beach, passing over the main entrance, close to Blue Streak, etc. where as the typical parking lot coaster wraps just around the parking lot and the returning track passes by the same track the riders were just on. I know that Gatekeeper will do a little bit of both, but feel I think it'll be a much different experience having the fly-throughs and inversions.

• Like 2

Terp, while I agree most would be huffing, puffing and snickering. I am still not the a fan of parking lot coasters, i.e. Intimidator at Carowinds (I do like Dominator at KD), I feel that Gatekeeper will give a better experience than the typical parking lot coaster. Gatekeeper, will make riders feel like they're going somewhere, passing the beach, passing over the main entrance, close to Blue Streak, etc. where as the typical parking lot coaster wraps just around the parking lot and the returning track passes by the same track the riders were just on. I know that Gatekeeper will do a little bit of both, but feel I think it'll be a much different experience having the fly-throughs and inversions.

Might I also add that they are actually putting GRASS under the ride.

But then again, those were just renderings...

• Like 4