Cedar Point to remove Disaster Transport & Space Spiral for B&M Wing

So now we just have to decipher @!!$!(*%%

ALLSLCIBB?

Do I win?

Or maybe it's scrambled. BALLBLISC. Okay, not a fan of that...

Oh shoot, do I see SLC? I didn't know Vekoma was going to fix Son of Beast?

Or if you take the first letter of each sign (e for exclamation point, etc) it's AEEDEPAPP. A DEEP APE. I KID YOU NOT. YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST. Son of Beast IS BEING RENAMED A DEEP APE AND REOPENING 2013!

... ... Where am I?

• Like 6

Disaster Transport will be gone after July, 29th:

Cedar Point and Give Kids The World

are partnering for another exciting event!

At Disaster Transport Final Dispatch: A Mission for the Kids, guests can become a part of history while helping children with life-threatening illnesses and their families make memories that last a lifetime.

Participation includes complimentary all-day park admission for non-season passholders, an hour of exclusive ride time on Disaster Transport, VIP access to a private reception, a commemorative event t-shirt, a special souvenir and eligibility for the the last ride with the lights on. The top three fundraisers will also receive prizes!

Here's what we have planned for Sunday, July 29:

9 p.m. Welcome Reception-- Enjoy light refreshments, music and a special presentation at the patio outside Disaster Transport.

10:30 - 11:30 p.m. Exclusive Ride Time Disaster Transport is officially closed to the public and open to all participants for ERT.

11:40 p.m. Final Lap-- Last ride with the lights on! The 50 participants who have raised the most money are guaranteed a spot. The first place fundraiser will have the privilege of choosing their seat first, followed by the second place fundraiser and so on until all seats are taken.

In addition to the $20 registration fee, a minimum of $50 must be raised in order to participate. Top fundraisers will be determined Friday, July 27 at Noon EST.

Online registration will close Friday, July 27 at Noon EST. Onsite. day-of registration will be available for $75 and includes all-day park admission for non-season passholders, an hour of exclusive ride time on Disaster Transport, VIP access to a private reception, a commemorative event t-shirt and a special souvenir. Onsite registrants are not eligible for the Final Lap.

https://www.firstgiv...w/finaldispatch

... ... Where am I?

Here....

Not my original idea, but:

Banshee

@ = 2 = B

! = 1 = A

!$ = 14= N

1( = 19= S

& = 7 = H

% = 5 = E

% = 5 = E

Via Pointbuzz. Blew my mind.

I've said it before; those in the know at any park have to LOL at what enthusiasts come up with...

Although I can say, with confidence, park enthusiasts are a few notches above Trekkies. ;)

• Like 3

That's kind of sad actually. I kinda liked Disaster Transport. Any time I managed to get up to Cedar Point, I always made an effort to ride that. The last time I got up there was in 2009. I went with my girlfriend and her sister. That day at the park the weather was horrible. It stormed and poured rain all day. Because of this it got rather chilly. Disaster Transport was an excellent ride to go into and escape the nasty weather while still being able to have some fun. I will miss it the next time I'm there. I understand rides like this eventually get replaced by bigger and better ones, but it's still kind of disappointing.

• Like 1

But where's the *?

It's also not nine letters, if that rumor is true. Very weird though!

Coasterfanatic2012 forgot the star. Here is the original from Pointbuzz:

@ - 2nd letter - B

! - 1st letter - A

!$- 14th letter - N

!( 19th letter - S

* 8th letter - H

% 5th letter - E

% 5th letter - E

Banshee isn't going to happen, they ditched that name because they thought people would be affended and chose Mantis instead. So I don't see it being the name of the new coaster if it wasn't chosen for one in the past.

But under new management things change ;)

Maybe they should make a ride inspired by CF's former CEO. Call it "Kinzel - The Ride". It will have its ups and downs but the end is rich. At first, people will like the new ride, but as the years past, coaster enthusiasts will despise it. Build it in the main parking lot so it can be viewed from the chaussee, along with the Magnum XL-200. AND - if it were a twin, racing coaster, make sure the one side can't see the other, and vise-versa, the entire ride. Then, when the riders are leaving the station, they can ask the other trains' riders, "Have we met yet?".

• Like 4

Banshee isn't going to happen, they ditched that name because they thought people would be affended and chose Mantis instead. So I don't see it being the name of the new coaster if it wasn't chosen for one in the past.

I hear how Elvis' dance moves were offensive way back when. Now look where we are. Things change.

• Like 4

Maybe they should make a ride inspired by CF's former CEO. Call it "Kinzel - The Ride". It will have its ups and downs but the end is rich. At first, people will like the new ride, but as the years past, coaster enthusiasts will despise it. Build it in the main parking lot so it can be viewed from the chaussee, along with the Magnum XL-200. AND - if it were a twin, racing coaster, make sure the one side can't see the other, and vise-versa, the entire ride. Then, when the riders are leaving the station, they can ask the other trains' riders, "Have we met yet?".

Don't forget to paint it red and yellow. Sell food in the queue... because, y'know, people gotta eat. Oh, and it'll probably cost a lot, but it will run pretty well--it's an operations ride, not a financial one.

• Like 4

I can't imagine Banshee being used.

The name was scrapped many years ago for what some may consider a stereotype issue as well as a word that has death undertones.

The decision to use Mantis as opposed to Banshee will certainly come up, how can it possibly be explained that it is acceptable to use now?

Today's culture plays Call of Duty and watches movies where people are getting shot and slaughtered in every scene. In the 90's they played Mario Kart. I don't think people today are going to have a problem with it.

Holiday World didn't have a problem with a ride named Banshee for years.

From your profile, I see you were born in 1993, so consider: just because you watched Barney in 1995 doesn't mean the world was a place of love, hugs, and singsong kum ba yahs in that year! ;) The 90's weren't squeaky clean and people weren't puritanical back then, even if things are "looser" today.

That said, I don't think it was the general public who had a problem with the name Banshee anyway. There was no Facebook or Twitter on which to hear about OR complain about the name.

What it comes down to, to me, is that it's a pretty bad name for a ride. but what do I know?

• Like 1

Today's culture plays Call of Duty and watches movies where people are getting shot and slaughtered in every scene. In the 90's they played Mario Kart. I don't think people today are going to have a problem with it.

Great point. Call of Duty has a "Mature" rating. Our video game rating system started in 1994. Before then, there was no rating system. This only reinforces how sensitive our society has become (btw- given how violent games have become, I do see the need for a rating system).

Today's World is MUCH more sensitive than ever: little Johnny has to get a 6th place trophy for his volcano science project or Billy Crystal being criticized for being racist for his parody of Sammy Davis Jr. at the 2012 Academy Awards- the same skit he used to do on SNL in the mid to late 80's. Even Davis' daughter was quoted it was not offensive and her father would have laughed, but that did not stop some in the media from writing how offensive they believed it was.

Holiday World didn't have a problem with a ride named Banshee for years.
Exactly. That was 1986. The decision to not use Banshee at CP was in 1995-96.

Some things get better with age and some things are just not acceptable anymore.

Today's news: http://www.cleveland..._two_rides.html

I would post an article from the Sandusky Register, but they don't seem to have any more information than what other media oultlets have.

^ I feel like it should be pointed out that Holiday World proceeded to use the Banshee name until 2002, if that has any relevance. Maybe the name was a factor in the ride's removal?

I'm excited about the possibility that it's a B&M 4th dimension. I wonder if Walter and Claude are feeling especially adventurous and are going to include the launch system their company's been rumored to have been designing for a while now.

Also, Cedar Point just posted this to Facebook:

EDIT: Darn it, Colonel_SoB_fan just beat me to it! :lol:

• Like 1

Let the teasing begin.

Watch out for inversions and (!%!@@!#%(!@!!^ You didn't think we would give away 2013 THAT easy did you?

CPTease1.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/cedarpoint

They have added symbols and inversions. Wonder what inversions are hinting at? ;)

They're telling us to watch out for inversions and FALSE CLUES. You have reverse characters and start from the back. i.e ( ^ = F), (! = A), (!@ = L)