Good news/bad news for Food Allergies

KIfan1980

As one of the 'new for 2012' food items was Gluten Free Pizza, I have been excited to take my boys to the park, ride some rides, and enjoy a pizza dinner (not something we've been able to do in the past with my 8 year old with food allergies - including gluten).

The Good News is we did that tonight and he totally enjoyed his GF pizza in the festhaus! Thanks Kings Island/Larosas for this add to the park food lineup! Also thanks to the festhaus crew for being knowledgeable about it and willing to help (table delivery)!

The Bad News is that KI continues to risk allergen issues and/or lose potential customers through poor understanding and management of allergen info at Guest Services.

While I knew GF pizza was available, prior discussion here on KIC made it less than clear where it was available so I thought I'd check with GR when I arrived. Here is the ups and downs of the encounter:

- first I was given a copy of 2 pages from a manual at GR. while this seemed helpful - and the first page was as it was a listing of Skyline Chili GF info, the help was limited as the second page detailing the rest of the park food was a printout of an old (from 2010) special diet web page that was not updated with the new site, has incorrect info on it, and mentions nothing about the pizza.

- Next I was told that all LaRosas pizza in the park was gluten free; the associate decided to call and check as I disagreed with this.

- Finally after the phone call I was told that I could get GF pizza by asking specially for it at any laRosas in the park

I'm glad we got to the right answer at the end and enjoyed our dinner, but I can't help but wonder about the lost opportunity (and risk) the park faces by not being more up to date, clear, and knowledgeable about the special diet offerings. The website now has limited info and directs people to Guest Services - if this is the approach, the associates in Guest Services need better info available to them.

• Like 2

One of the infamous things about Cedar Fair parks (and really, perhaps all parks) is that new systems are implemented without letting any seasonal employees know. In other words, people come to the food location looking for the much-advertised gluten-free pizza or a special coupon or a FunPerks certificate and no one is quite sure how to process the order or if it's even available. It causes a lot of confusion from what I've seen in the past, and it really is from a lack of communication between parties.

So while the park's Twitter account trumpets new gluten-free options, Guest Relations hasn't heard a word about it, and if they don't even know what gluten is, you're in for a real treat. Then to have outdated information from an old website? If everyone could just stop for a second and get on the same page and have the answers ready it would be ideal, but that's basically impossible with so many hundreds of seasonal employees and so many fluctuating offers.

See FunPerks or Fast Lane, both of which debuted with employees even more confused than guests at the sometimes-nonsensical system and odd ins-and-outs that had to be learned.

• Like 1

Good points. The park needs to realize, though, there is a major difference between allergy information and operational issues with Fast Lane and Fun Perks. Food allergy information goes in the same category as ride safety, water safety and maintenance. I really think the problem here is not so much one of communication as emphasis.

What is stressed gets done. And this information needs updating. I suspect it's not on the website as it is subject to change. Fine, then be sure GR and the restaurants have the latest information.

• Like 2

GYK - understand your point and agree with it to certain degree, but like Terpy don't think it a good thing for the park to be so unclear with food allergies. Forgeting the safety piece, and look at from a revenue peespective - one child gets sick eating the supposedly GF fries at rivertown Potato works and this info gets shared via web group and it will cause many future GF visitors to skip eating at the park.

I guess I didn't do a good job making my point though as in reality:

- I was happy with the level of knowledge of the associates at Feathaus where the food was served

- I think my input is that the associates at Guest Relations need better info available to them when asked. There is no way for them to know everything, but they need to have quick access to the right data.

Seriously just trying to provide some constructive input.

I can't eat any shell fish for this same reason and because of this, I always carry an EpiPen where ever I go. It would be the same with anybody that has a allergy to peanuts and any other food allergy or bee stings that causes severe, life threatening issues. If you don't carry an EpiPen, then they should consult with their doctor about it.

I recently discovered that i have a Gluten alergy the day before my last visit to the park. I ended up eating french fries from Rivertown and nothing else all day.

Was planning on some of the GF pizza but never made it.

A list of other GF foods would be GREAT!

Orig-Emp: even though the gluten issues with my family are not an anaphylactic risk, we do carry the epi-pen due to other (tree nut) allergies. Our goal, though, is to not have to use it and to avoid causing our son to get sick via gluten consumption.

Jbum: FYI, even though the fries are described as GF at Rivertown Potato Works, this is one of the areas we don't trust, so we do NOT buy them. Last time we checked we were told that the fries are cooked in the same fryers (cross contaminated oil) as the chicken bites and fries shrimp (which are both breaded - a gluten containing coating)

• 8 months later...

I can't believe I missed this thread back in June... Anyway, I've contacted the park a couple of times suggesting/asking if there was anyway that they could put together an allergen menu of all, or most of the foods in the park. Some things are obvious, like sandwiches or the regular La Rosa's pizza. But I'd like to know what all of my options are, as I'm sure many people would. I know this would increase how much I spend in the park, because right now with my wheat and peanut allergies, I'm limited to about 3 things: Skyline Chili Cheese Fries, the GF pizza, and Dip 'n' Dots. When I was younger, all I ever was able to get was the Dip 'n' Dots because we had no idea what else I could have. This last season was definitely a step in the right direction, I just hope they continue in that direction this season...

EDIT: Don got back with me today, and said that they've been working with the food dept and are planning on having this info available this season online and in Guest Services. :D

• Like 7

• 3 months later...

Has anyone been there this season (2013) and had any of the GF items? My 10 yr.old daughter and I both have Celiac Disease and I was thinking I would have to pack food for the entire day, but I am excited to learn there are some options! Anyone have reaction after eating the GF food in he park?

Has anyone been there this season (2013) and had any of the GF items? My 10 yr.old daughter and I both have Celiac Disease and I was thinking I would have to pack food for the entire day, but I am excited to learn there are some options! Anyone have reaction after eating the GF food in he park?

I'm actually severely allergic, rather than Celiac, so I may not be the best to answer. But I haven't had any problems so far. I've had the GF pizza in Festhaus (you order at the Yeungling Brewery, not LaRosas), it's been great. Also can have the Chili Cheese Fries at Skyline no problem. I haven't had a chance to hugely delve into the other options that were added this year at Conet Potato Works yet, but I've had the bacon cheese fries and they were awesome...quite filling though. They also have chicken tenders, corn dogs, beer, and ice cream comes that are all gluten free. I would imagine they're all fine, but I haven't had a chance to try them yet. The nice thing is though, they don't serve anything else (as far as I know) that isn't gluten free. So that's a plus for cross contamination. :) Hope that helps!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm not sure how much they've improved since these options were originally introduced. It seems like the park had really been pushing the allergen friendliness and what not. However, an allergen guide has never been published to the website. Only a very large binder of individual food item ingredient lists that isn't very easy to navigate is available in Guest Services. That is almost more frustrating than knowing I have 2 or 3 guaranteed options available at the park that are considered "gluten free".

Granted, 2 or 3 is better than none. And I definitely appreciate that.

• Like 2

There is a food stand in Coney where the entire menu is completely gluten free. The name escapes me but I believe the former name of the place was "Its Fried." The wifey and I were pleased to see this as my daughter has Celiac Disease. She is very sensetive to gluten so we highly worry about cross contamination and employees having little to no training when it comes to food allergies. We pack her food regardless but it's nice to know we have an option out there when visiting the park.

• Like 4