Ambient music

Balloondoggle

Is it just me, or is the background music just too loud? I can't have a normal conversation in Action Zone, Coney Mall, or International Street because the speakers are blasting so loud. My sister says "If it's too loud, you're too old!" but she's my baby sister so I would expect that from her. :rolleyes:

It seems to me that the ambient sounds at an amusement park should be the ratchets and chains on the coasters, followed by the screams of the riders. Those sounds are most clearly heard from the parking lot right now, and once you're in the gate it's like attending Lollapaloosa (or Woodstock, if it's raining). The selection is fine, but it really shouldn't be so intrusive. At the end of a visit, my throat is sore not from screaming on a ride, but from trying to negotiate the next ride with the kids over the music.

IMO the sound volume just one of the only reasons I would not go to the park for consecutive days. But I believe that Kings Island it one of the only parks that have it this bad. This is a frequently discussed issue inside the park amongst the GP almost more than SOB and can be easily fixed so there must be a good reason to why management doesn't turn the volume down, or make the sound fit the area of the park.

I don't think there is a good reason for drowning out the sounds of people enjoying themselves. And it defeats the game barkers, who can't be heard over the music promoting the games. In that regard, the overly loud music is costing them some money.

Last night we walked past a trio of apparent management-types and my wife had to stop me from asking them to follow me to spot in front of a speaker and then inviting them to try and continue their conversation. If it really is that common an issue with the public, maybe we should make more noise about it at the park.

There's a few other niggling little things I'd like to see fixed, but this is by far the easiest fix with the most impact.

The way to get by the photo people at Carowinds is to walk past them one by one instead of as a family, that tells me who they target. I havent been bothered by the hawker at Carowinds since I was an emplpyee when I wasnt allowed to play, now they are all just standing around.

Nice way of responding without appearing to be backtracking on those annoying SCREAMING commercials they ran earlier this season. I can only imagine the complaints the tv stations and the company got. Annoying potential customers is seldom a good business strategy ( but see life insurance).

IMO I don't mind not being able to hear, "Give it a shot! Give it a try!" My new home parks will be Universal/IOA soon and when I go there, I really don't notice any difference in volume from the music from Universal/IOA compared to Kings Island. My suggestion would be, if you want to have a conversation, don't sit next to audio speakers pumping out the music.

IMO I don't mind not being able to hear, "Give it a shot! Give it a try!" My new home parks will be Universal/IOA soon and when I go there, I really don't notice any difference in volume from the music from Universal/IOA compared to Kings Island. My suggestion would be, if you want to have a conversation, don't sit next to audio speakers pumping out the music.

Kings Island plays the greatest hits of today (and mostly of 2 or 3 years ago, not to mention a show centered around basically every decade you can imagine). Islands of Adventure plays a custom-made orchestral arrangement that is specific to each island, setting the tone perfectly and creating an emotional compass toward what you should be feeling (awe, tension, mystery, grandeur, etc) not unlike a film score.

In other words, pumping Rihanna's "Umbrella" through Oktoberfest at a 9 / 10 is different than hearing the Jurassic Park score at the same level when you're walking through Jurassic Park.

• Like 2

Kings Island plays the greatest hits of today (and mostly of 2 or 3 years ago, not to mention a show centered around basically every decade you can imagine). Islands of Adventure plays a custom-made orchestral arrangement that is specific to each island, setting the tone perfectly and creating an emotional compass toward what you should be feeling (awe, tension, mystery, grandeur, etc) not unlike a film score.

In other words, pumping Rihanna's "Umbrella" through Oktoberfest at a 9 / 10 is different than hearing the Jurassic Park score at the same level when you're walking through Jurassic Park.

Completely understand what you are getting at, it's all in what you can handle. I have an annual pass at Universal/IOA and I have a season pass at Kings Island and go to both often. I enjoy listening to the hits of today as well as the themed music of IOA. IMO the loudest music out of either park is the music when the Marvel villians and heros come out to meet the guests. It drowns out the sound of the Incredible Hulk ride, and if you have been near that ride, you know that is quite an accomplishment.

Theme parks should play theme music in my opinion, but Kings Island has become much more of an amusement park than a theme park over the years. Personally, if CP is driving the family experience again, I'd like to see more emphasis on the environment / themeing, more rides for families, and more ambient music that is just that - ambient background sound that supports the theme of the park area that you're traveling through, not top 40 hits. The problem with playing pop music is that its so taste specific, and then if you blast that in people's ears, that alone can drive away visitors. Why would you want to do that?

I would guess another way around the speaker sound issue is installing more speakers around the park and lowering the overall volume (more speakers with smaller sound radii).

^ Yeah, that's the other thing. Barkers should at the very least be banned from using microphones.

The thing is that theme/amusement parks already load visitors senses, and bad audio decisions just lead to unnecessary sensory overload, and possibly unhappy guests. Balancing the sensory experience = happy guests = return visits = more money for the parks.

• Like 1

I ignore them everytime I walk by so I don't notice the game barkers much anyway.

Some areas of the park are louder than others but I do audio for a living and live by the "if it's too loud, your too old" philosophy. Loud music builds energy and excitement. (in the right circumstances) Maybe that is what they are thinking.

If you do audio for a living, then you should know what are appropriate levels for the different applications of your sound. Background sound should run around 60-65 decibels, measured against ambient noise of guests talking and rides running. 60 decibels is about the level of conversational speech.

It's called background sound for a reason... it remains in the background, not the foreground. Even a majority of concerts don't run past 95 decibels due to noise ordinances. Sound is a tricky subject because not everyone hears the same way. Loud music doesn't necessarily build energy. If a system isn't properly designed to reproduce a wide range of frequencies and cover them in an area effectively, the loudness becomes a null factor. As a mix engineer, I want my sound to be full, not loud. There's a difference.

Don't even get me started on the style of music they play...

• Like 2

It's called background sound for a reason... it remains in the background, not the foreground. Even a majority of concerts don't run past 95 decibels due to noise ordinances. Sound is a tricky subject because not everyone hears the same way. Loud music doesn't necessarily build energy. If a system isn't properly designed to reproduce a wide range of frequencies and cover them in an area effectively, the loudness becomes a null factor. As a mix engineer, I want my sound to be full, not loud. There's a difference.

Don't even get me started on the style of music they play...

A more appropriate response than I had.

Background sound should run around 60-65 decibels, measured against ambient noise of guests talking and rides running. 60 decibels is about the level of conversational speech.

It's called background sound for a reason... it remains in the background, not the foreground. Even a majority of concerts don't run past 95 decibels due to noise ordinances.

Not sure what type of concerts you are attending but try in the range of 105-110 dB(A) with some reaching 115dB(A).

Granted these are concerts in appropraitely designed venue and not ones you would find in a neighborhood or street fair.

The systems installed in the park are 70V systems which have a limited frequency range regardless.

Could they run everything at a lower level? Sure but you are going to have dead spots between coverage zones.

This isn't elevator music in a restraunt, it's a theme park.

You are correct in that everyone hears things differently.

What one person may think is an appropriate level, others may think is too loud hence the entire reason this thread was started!

For example, I think the anti rollbacks on Firehawk are extremely loud and are near painful at times. Do other people think the same? Doubt it.

I personaly enjoy the music. They can't please eveyone.

Background sound should run around 60-65 decibels, measured against ambient noise of guests talking and rides running. 60 decibels is about the level of conversational speech.

It's called background sound for a reason... it remains in the background, not the foreground. Even a majority of concerts don't run past 95 decibels due to noise ordinances.

Not sure what type of concerts you are attending but try in the range of 105-110 dB(A) with some reaching 115dB(A).

Granted these are concerts in appropraitely designed venue and not ones you would find in a neighborhood or street fair.

The systems installed in the park are 70V systems which have a limited frequency range regardless.

Could they run everything at a lower level? Sure but you are going to have dead spots between coverage zones.

This isn't elevator music in a restraunt, it's a theme park.

You are correct in that everyone hears things differently.

What one person may think is an appropriate level, others may think is too loud hence the entire reason this thread was started!

For example, I think the anti rollbacks on Firehawk are extremely loud and are near painful at times. Do other people think the same? Doubt it.

I personaly enjoy the music. They can't please eveyone.

I don't know what your Radio Shack SPL meter is reading, but most concerts run comfortably around 95 to 100 at FOH. There are several factors that play into this as well (distance of front of house to stage, the fact that most meters only measure the highest frequency in their range, etc.) Bar none, if it's too loud, it's uncomfortable.

Distributed systems have only a few advantages to traditional "8-ohm" setups. You're correct in that they have a weaker response, however, I stated that a properly designed system will allow you to have a better response and coverage. In this regard, blasting Daniel Powter's "Bad Day" throughout the park with no definable treble and bass makes perfect sense. It IS an amusement park, after all.

I'm glad you enjoy the fact that the park plays cool music. After all, nothing says a great day at Kings Island quite like hearing Adele's "Rumor Has It", a song about cheating and betrayal.

I haven't payed attention to the music, which is why I don't really hear it often times. But on the few times of which I've payed attention to the music, I don't really think Rhiannah is quite the appropriate choice for a German "themed" area.

Or, maybe my hearing kinda sucks! :P

It's funny you mention a Rat Shack meter as I had one until someone stole it.

So are you telling me my Goldline meter is wrong? Would you like to stop by my arena and take a measurement for yourself?

I have miranda Lambert in a weak who shouldn't be that loud but will still be well above 95dB.

I wish I had taken a reading at LMFAO a few weeks ago as they were darn near shaking lighting fixtures out of our offfice spaces.

You are correct with saying if its too loud, it's uncomfortable. I don't know how many concerts have been through where I will step out into the arena and run for shelter because its too loud and I like it loud myself.

Again, everyone is different and I highly doubt they acctually pick every song that is played. I am sure it is a subscription service and they just pick the channel.

How many times do radio stations play the same song over and over daily especially top 40.

Was at the park yesterday and had to shout for my friend to hear me several times over the annoying music that was played. Specifically over by the Snake Pit and the area between Rivertown Junction and the White Water Canyon entrance come to mind. There were other places through the park as well. I'm not really a shouter so at times I'd have to stop talking until we passed a loud spot and then continue so that I wouldn't have to yell.

I was in the park for about 4 hours last week, and about 80% of the time some really sad-sounding stuff was being blasted out over the speakers; minor chord progressions, funeralistic and somber tones with growling, angst-ridden lyrics that finally depressed me enough to want to leave. Kings Island used to sound like a festive, happy place, with beautiful, relaxing, up-beat music that was theme-oriented. Now it sounds like going into some store at a shopping mall.

I guess it's generational. Who knows what it will be like in another 10 years. I could get both political and religios right here, but I'm aware of the TOS, so suffice it to say I'm just going to cherish the memories I have of a time when this park was truly an escape from the world.

Personally, I don't mind the music. The only time I thought that the music was super loud was when I was eating at the tables near Coney Skyline the other day. Actually, I really like it when they play songs from the 90's and early 2000's. :)