Diamondback Down for Week of June 4th

Josh Moore

I doubt the trains too close together..... Diamondback is probably one of the roller coasters that has the most distance between trains in the brake run. Have you seen the distance between the 2nd and 3rd train when trains are stack? The transfer track isn't even being used to park a train where it easily could. And if the ride was having "near-misses" the ride probably wouldn't of been running if that was the issue and they knew it. Maybe they were checking the slabs to make sure Diamondback isn't sinking like Vortex :P

Diamondback definitely ran on Sunday, June 3. I rode it 5 times (I think) for ERT and then another time later in the day with about a 30 min wait for the front seat.

As we exited from that last ride, all of the turnstyles had been opened and were mostly full, but the line had been cut off. I don't know why, because the cars were still running.Some people had lined up outside the area where it had been cut off as well. We weren't planning to ride again that day anyway so I never saw what happened after that.

Yeah, I'm not sure who she heard it from or what their credibility is. I mean is it possible that they were dispatched to early, and two trains were in the same block? I have no idea though, so you're probably right. :P Sucks that its down though.

^ The issue you explained is certainly a safety issue & would have been present before & after the pre-Memorial Day weekend downtime thus it would have been already fixed prior to the current downtime.

In a nutshell- The trains being too close may have been an issue, but I doubt it is why DB is currently down.

When I went on Saturday, they launched our train when I could see the one in front of us cresting the 3rd hill. It was the closest I have ever seen a train launch to the one in front of it. I'm sure that it can't be much of a problem. I would think that the train on the course would get to the MCBR by the time the one I was on had left the lift chain, if not, the lift would stop and everything would be fine.

I would assume it could be dispatched before then, just that it can't go over the lift hill until then (meaning that the train would stop on the lift hill temporarily if that occurred). In other words, I assume that the lift hill is a block of its own. meaning that a train loaded and checked ultra-quickly must only wait until the previous train has cleared the lift hill. Sometimes I've seen this happen in a power hour, where all ride-ops give the thumbs-up signal and the driver announces "train locked, five seconds" and then only gives "all clear" a few seconds later.

From what I saw that main support for the photo helix has a main cement slab where the pipes come out. Then there are four slabs on each side about at ground level. The one that is south of the support( the one that's farthest from the station) is where the guy was walking around with a pole. The grass was gone around that slab as well.

Yeah, I'm not sure who she heard it from or what their credibility is. I mean is it possible that they were dispatched to early, and two trains were in the same block? I have no idea though, so you're probably right. :P Sucks that its down though.

^ The issue you explained is certainly a safety issue & would have been present before & after the pre-Memorial Day weekend downtime thus it would have been already fixed prior to the current downtime.

In a nutshell- The trains being too close may have been an issue, but I doubt it is why DB is currently down.

I would assume it could be dispatched before then, just that it can't go over the lift hill until then (meaning that the train would stop on the lift hill temporarily if that occurred). In other words, I assume that the lift hill is a block of its own. meaning that a train loaded and checked ultra-quickly must only wait until the previous train has cleared the lift hill. Sometimes I've seen this happen in a power hour, where all ride-ops give the thumbs-up signal and the driver announces "train locked, five seconds" and then only gives "all clear" a few seconds later.

jcgoble3 is correct. In blocks as a train heads forward, the block ahead of the train in it's current position must be clear. Therefore, if a train hasn't reached the block after the lift hill, the train leaving the station would stop at the end of the block on the lift. This goes with any and all blocks on Diamondback. That blocks wouldn't be a reason to take Diamondback down for routine maintenance for a week. Sensors would need replaced, but I'm fairly sure they have some on site that would be easily replaced.

So, Diamondback was running on Saturday/Sunday, so it could have not been a mechanical issue, or it would of not ran the weekend.

Like Shyflyer said, it must of been a computer issue/program, or it wouldn't of run at all this past weekend.

Not necessarily true, as many people have said in this thread, they could have detected the issue early on, made a band-aid fix to get it through the first heavy weekend attendance with opening weekend, school just getting out, music in the parks, etc.

But like you said, it could be a computer or program issue. Those who know for sure won't say and many will speculate.

In response to earlier flat "hate" (I hate to call it that, but it's the only fitting word at mind right now), those small flats are really fun. I go on Zephyr, Shake Rattle and Roll, Scrambler, etc every time I go, and always have a great time. Sure, they don't match the magnitude of the larger rides, like The Beast, but they still have an element of fun (especially with friends--On the Scrambler, my friends and I always gang up on the kid unfortunate enough to sit on the outside seat and squish 'em! :D). I think that if they added something like Wheel of Fortune, The Flying Eagles, etc, they will be a big hit, as they were really popular at the park.

Something that I feel neeeeds to be mentioned: The Crypt is not SBNO! The Crypt has been scrapped like WildCat, Son of Beast's loop, Bavarian Beetle, [screamin'] Demon, etc!

I find it questionable about the structural footings of Diamondback... Did something change how the concrete was made or something? Because older rides like Adventure Express haven't had the concrete problems (to the best of my knowledge), so are all the concrete footings under review or something?

• Like 1

FOF1996- Oh that makes sense!

( I'm sorry I keep bringing this up, I'll let it drop after this :P ) but since it's computer programmed, couldn't the computers be telling ride-ops the trains are out of a certain block when they're really not?

Seeing as several people have seen people examining footers and pouring concrete it is most likely that.

In response to earlier flat "hate" (I hate to call it that, but it's the only fitting word at mind right now), those small flats are really fun.

Where exactly did you see flat "hate" in this thread?

As for the concrete work - it is possible that a footing may have a problem, but likely not due to a concrete problem, but a problem with the soil underneath. Recall on WindSeeker, they buried piles (which are a foundation element that transfers load down to bedrock usually). I'd doubt that piles were used under every footing (I don't know, I'm guessing some might, but all don't), which means the footings sit on compacted soil which was expected to be suitable for the loads. If something happened and that soil settled or was undercut by something like water, a repair might be necessary - they could be repouring a footing or the equivalent of slab-jacking a footing by pumping concrete into a void.

In response to earlier flat "hate" (I hate to call it that, but it's the only fitting word at mind right now), those small flats are really fun.

Where exactly did you see flat "hate" in this thread?

As for the concrete work - it is possible that a footing may have a problem, but likely not due to a concrete problem, but a problem with the soil underneath. Recall on WindSeeker, they buried piles (which are a foundation element that transfers load down to bedrock usually). I'd doubt that piles were used under every footing (I don't know, I'm guessing some might, but all don't), which means the footings sit on compacted soil which was expected to be suitable for the loads. If something happened and that soil settled or was undercut by something like water, a repair might be necessary - they could be repouring a footing or the equivalent of slab-jacking a footing by pumping concrete into a void.

Maybe the massive amount of rain we've had the past two years had something to do with it...that makes sense to me