Two arrested in theft spree at SF Whitewater

What moral culpability if any does the park have in charging $20 for a locker when something like this happens?

In other words, is it the park's responsibility (whether de facto or de jure) to help keep its patrons' belongings safe by offering affordable or complimentary areas for safe keeping valuables? Maybe or maybe not. I'm really just asking.

Family saves for a trip to their local amusement park, get inside, and finds a $20.00 locker as the only way to keep their bag from being left unattended. If they can't afford it, didn't plan for it, and can't use it, then what choice do they have besides asking a family member to stay behind to guard the bags? If the locker was say, $5.00 (which would still represent something near 100% income for the park, I'd wager), then maybe they would have had more options.

And then there are Universal parks, for example, where lockers are free for the first hour as a courtesy, a way to keep loose items off rides, and a way to keep belongings safe.

For what it's worth, I've never felt more nickel-and-dimed than at a Six Flags park. It was a fantastic park, really, but there was no way I was going back for a second day with $20.00 general parking.

It's a concept they didn't understand, I guess - that I would've come back, paid another day's admission, eaten two meals plus snacks, and probably purchased the Flash Pass except for how cheated I felt by parking, locker, and food prices...

"They've gotta eat." "They've gotta keep loose articles somewhere." "They've gotta park."

We'll see about that...

And parking prices vary from Six Flags park to Six Flags park.

This is true of Cedar Fair parks, too (though to a lesser degree, I think) and still doesn't sit right with me.

At Geauga Lake's Wildwater Kingdom, parking was $5.00 through last season. At Kings Island, it was $12.00. What services did Kings Island's offer that Wildwater Kingdom's didn't? Pricing integrity? If a parking spot is worth x in Northeast Ohio, why is it worth y in Southwest? Supply and demand? Or is it just that the price-setting-powers knew $12.00 wouldn't fly at a tiny little water park where people might "expect" it at a full amusement park?

I get that that's the nature of the business, but it's still a little irritating.

As for lockers, I'd make the excuse that on some roller coasters like Millennium, the train returns in a different place than it departs from... But then, Volcano? There's always an attendant with a cart...

I get that. It's the same reason why a Cleveland parking deck is $35 for a month-long parking pass, but $20 for a single spot on the night of a concert. But it's still irritating.

Or two different priced lockers in two different parts of the park. What if the price of a locker is 25 cents more near Millennium Force where people are forced to stow their belongings compared to a locker at the front of the park? Does it make sense from a business point of view? Sure. But it leaves the consumer feeling had.

Not a conspiracy theorist, but who here is monitoring those flashy video-screen menus? What's the price of a chilled Coca-Cola on a Saturday in July versus on a Sunday in October? ;) (I really am not insinuating that Kings Island changes the prices, because I don't believe they do).

But if that price were to jump a few nickels on a hot, crowded day, would that be smart? Certainly. Is that free enterprise and pursuit of profit? You betcha. But how do I feel as a visitor who becomes aware of that? Good will?

Aside from why a locker costs so much, the perpetrators are responsible for their actions and need to be held accountable.

If it were not for people like this, lockers would be unnecessary thus leaving the cost a moo (anyone get this?) point.

Now I do believe people need to properly protect their valuable belongings, yet using the cost of a locker as an excuse for not is plain stupid.

While I understand the culpability of those leaving their bags unattended in today's world - I also find it sad that you can't.

As for the parks responsibility - the price of lockers is getting ridiculous. Hopefully, parks will learn like it seems KI did this year on the food cost equation.

Not an excuse. Just a reality.

You can't expect everyone to pay $15 to $20 to hide their beach bag. And if everyone did, guess what? It would cost way more than $15 or $20.

Leave the valuables:in the car, at home, or with a non-rider.

If you want to use the convenience of a locker, pay the price.

And if you don't want to pay the price for the locker, consider what the alternative costs for not.

When I visit Kings Island or any other amusement park, I only take what is needed for that day: wallet, keys, cell phone and that is it. if I go to the water park, I only take a towel in bag, book to read, sun screen and leave any and all valuables in the trunk of the car. I do not over burden myself with loaded back packs and other items that I do not need and will have to find a locker or some friend to watch. As for parking, go to any sporting event, concert or other venues and you will pay to park in far excess of what KI charges. It is the same way where ever you large crowds wanting into the same event or venue at the same time or day. It is the law of supply and demand. That is why the Yankees charge far more than the Reds do for their games and parking.