Holiday World Trip Report 6/3

thunderbeast1968

I finally made it to Holiday World, and all I have to say is WOW!!

First off, Pat Koch was greeting people as they came into the park, and she was the last person that I saw and talk to as we were leaving the park. More on that later.

I will try to make this brief, and not ramble too much.

We hit the Raven first. Nice coaster, It packs a little punch and I loved the track layout running through the trees.

Moved onto The legend. Man, what a coaster, the air-time was good and the pacing is great.

Last but not least, The Legend. I am so sorry KI, and The Beast, but the Voyage has taken over as my favorite Wooden Coaster. This air-time machine is great, the twist and turns, tunnels, and just pure raw speed. Three different 90 degree banked curves are totally amazing. This coaster does not let up the entire time. If you haven't rode this coaster, do yourself a favor and go to Holiday World.

After taking several spins on the coasters and a few flat rides, we ventured over to the water park. Rode a few slides and took a trip in the lazy river. Then we decided to hit the two water coasters, hit the Pilgrim Plunge, dry off and take one last spin on all the coasters.

Mammoth and Wildebeast were fun water rides (KI needs to add on of these type water rides) Both of them were fun and gave a little pop of air-time and fun were had by all.

The food was very good. We ate lunch at Kringle's Kafe. I had a Pizza, and fries combo with a cookie. I believe it was around $6. I really enjoyed the free beverages all day. I drank Gatorade all day to keep hydrated.

As we were leaving, I ran into Mrs Koch, I told her that I really enjoyed our first time at Holiday World, and told her the staff were super friendly, helpful, and always smiling. She went on to tell me that the following day, that her entire staff was going to do "customer service" training, then asked me if she was wasting her money, after the great comments that I already had for her staff. We laughed and I thanked her again for her time. By far one of my favorite experiences at a park.

Side note, If you go to the water park side and want to rent a locker, bring your money. It is $5 to rent and another $5 for a key deposit, the deposit you get back when you return your key. I figured it was like I remembered at KI, with quarter operated lockers. I explained this to the locker rental staff that I was a few dollars short, they said it was OK (others have done the same thing) They rented me the locker for $8.75. I returned my key, thanked them an left with my $3.75.

I rate this park and my experience a 10/10. Do yourself a favor and go, if you have never been.

I have been and yes, Holiday World is EXCELLENT...though I have not yet been this year, a "family trip" is in the works...which I hope happens.

Glad you enjoyed your trip!

PS: Next time, get fudge. ^_^ Also, as I have not yet been on Mammoth- is it better than Wildebeest, worse, or about "equal"? (Though my rides on Wildebeest in 2011 were amazing and hence even being "equal" means "awesome")

Mammoth is a different ride every time; you can go forward, backward, or sideways, possibly all on the same ride. The LIMs spin you around, but every boat spins differently; some boats will spin a lot, and others hardly at all. So you never really know what your experience is going to be.

However, Mammoth also gets you a lot wetter than Wildebeest. On Wildebeest, you just get a few splashes on your lower body plus the light spray from above. Mammoth, on the other hand, will drench you, if not during the ride itself, then at the final whitewater splashdown.

I don't think either one is clearly "better" than the other; it's a matter of personal preference. I prefer Mammoth, but YMMV.

Well, for water rides, in my opinion, wetter is better...and the spinning does seem like it would add an interesting effect...

More Mammoth questions I thought up...

#1-Does the ride have just the 6-seater "spinny" boats, or are the 8-seater "toboggan" boats also on the ride, as the park and ProSlide hinted they may also want to try (and a model of the ride had both on it at once)?

#2-How are the wait times compared to Wildebeest (basically, how much of a difference does 2-4 more people per "boat" make)?

Well, for water rides, in my opinion, wetter is better...and the spinning does seem like it would add an interesting effect...

More Mammoth questions I thought up...

#1-Does the ride have just the 6-seater "spinny" boats, or are the 8-seater "toboggan" boats also on the ride, as the park and ProSlide hinted they may also want to try (and a model of the ride had both on it at once)?

#2-How are the wait times compared to Wildebeest (basically, how much of a difference does 2-4 more people per "boat" make)?

The cloverleaf style boat does spin more, unlike the toboggan style boat. On Sunday, the wait was 1 hr for Mammoth, and about 30-40 min for Wildebeast 10min on the other slide we went on. Sorry, I don't recall the name of said slide.

^

Hmm...it would seem with the new "bigger" Mammoth, the lines for Wildebeest have decreased. Interesting...AND THE TOBBOGAN (8-seater) BOATS SPIN!?!? (I didn't realize they were supposed to...I was under the impression that they were like Wildebeest's and faced forwards the whole ride)

Picture of the boats I'm talking about (are these on Mammoth, or just the spinning 6-seater boats?):

7074803593_f9641b4195_m.jpg

Those boats are coming to Mammoth, but as of last weekend weren't being used yet, if they were even there. It's my understanding that they do NOT spin, though I'm at a loss to figure out how they'll do that given the method by which the round boats are spun (LIMs). I don't know how the LIMs will be able to sense which boat it's grabbing and thus know whether or not to spin it.

Lines: I haven't the slightest clue. I walked on to both Friday afternoon because the temperature was only in the 60s, and Saturday morning was ERT. So I never got a sense of typical line length, and even if I had been there on a hotter day, I would have used the single rider lines.