Photo TR 6/6/12

ahank

Let me preface by saying this; this is the first time my parents let me go to the park by myself (we live in Indianapolis, a good 2 hour drive). So needless to say, I couldn't sleep the night before and ended up getting to bed around 4:00 a.m. I woke up at six and met up with my friend at 7:15 and we got breakfast at McDonald's and took I-74 toward the park.

We got to the park around 9:45 and, between parking and such, got into the park just after it officially opened. First thing we did (after going to the restroom, of course!) was head back toward The Beast. We were both happy to find that it was a walk on (although it didn't stay that way for long). We hopped on 3-2 and had ourselves an extremely nice ride. The retracking did it's purpose and the ride feels great, not to say it didn't before!

Afterwards, we made a counterclockwise motion and headed for Vortex. When I was younger, I didn't mind the bang-i-ness of this ride as much. But now that I am pushing 6'0", my shoulders were definitely in for a world of hurt. It may have been the seat (although I have always enjoyed 7-1) but besides the great airtime on the first drop, the rest of the ride was not to pleasant.

We decided to make our way over to Flight of Fear and Firehawk only to find that Flight of Fear's outdoors switchbacks were already all open and Firehawk was down, so we decided to head over to Racer instead.

Only the red side was running in the morning, but it provided a great ride nonetheless.

7162057397_3a20dca933_h.jpg

After Racer we head toward Adventure Express which already had its queue back past the wood overhangs, which surprised me since it was only about 10:45 on a Wednesday. Everything seemed to be working except for one of the stone men and the door that was, once again, left wide open.

We decided to head toward Action Zone and take a spin on Delirium, which we didn't expect to have a long wait. Turns out, we were wrong. All of the switchbacks were open and the ride ops took a long time. Now there may have been good reason, but whatever it was, it took a good 10 minutes between each cycle to get the ride going again. After about an hour long wait, we were finally treated to a pleasant ride in the cooling breeze.

We decided to backtrack and head toward WindSeeker. If there's one ride in the park that I really feel uneasy riding, it's this one! While I can see how others enjoy it, it is definitely not my cup of tea.

7347265130_dd8665ab1a_h.jpg

We then decided to head back to Flight of Fear to see if the line had gotten any better, but it had not. All of the switchbacks outside were open as well as the entire group of switchbacks on the left side of the building.

7162054757_40b97f2695_h.jpg

It was really nice to see a lot of the lights and theming functional. Flight of Fear continues to be one of my favorites at the park to this day.

Since both Diamondback and Invertigo were closed, I got the opportunity to ride many rides I hadn't ridden in some time. Some of these included Zephyr and Shake, Rattle & Roll.

7162056431_7c9a6e1390_h.jpg

7162053805_a24d7ca7f7_h.jpg

After riding some flats and grabbing some lunch at Potato Works, we decided to head back up to Rivertown and catch another ride on The Beast. This time we sat in 1-2 and had yet another great ride. Shoutout to the ride op who was really lively and full of energy as well (whose name escapes me). He really kept the crowd at an ease and peppy.

7162053079_095d6d65d8_h.jpg

We backtracked yet again to catch another long wait and ride at Delirium. We then headed over to Flight Deck which was a walk on. We were extremely tired by this point, I running on two hours of sleep and my friend having back pains. We decided to get a nice ride on the train.

7347262166_01cc8c45fc_h.jpg

We then went and got another ride on The Beast, picked up a few souvenirs, and decided to head on out. Despite some of the marquee attractions being down and the park being surprisingly busy, it by no means ruined our day. We had an absolute great day to come to the park on (mid-seventies all day) and it really couldn't have gotten much better!

Ride totals:

Beast - 3

Delirium - 2

Adventure Express - 1

Racer - 1

Flight Deck - 1

Vortex - 1

Flight of Fear - 1

Eiffel Tower - 1

WindSeeker - 1

Viking Fury - 1

Scrambler - 1

Zephyr - 1

Shake, Rattle, & Roll - 1

Train - 1

Sounds like a great day! Like Terpy said, I can only imagine your excitement at your first trip without your parents. Glad you had fun, but be careful driving long distances on just two hours of sleep. Always make sure that you're awake enough to drive; sometimes you don't have trouble keeping your eyes open until you hit the highway, and often you can be fine on the morning drive but have trouble on the return trip in the evening after being on your feet all day. I personally would not have attempted a two-hour drive on that little sleep because I would be too tired on the return trip in the evening. You obviously made it home OK, but be careful in the future.