Racer bad supports?

stashua123

u freakin swear when i went to ki 6/4 from WindSeeker's line, i saw racers supports move while the train was over it so do you think it needs to be refurbished?

Dont believe me but i saw it with my own eyes :blink:

-Stash

u freakin swear when i went to ki 6/4 from WindSeeker's line, i saw racers supports move while the train was over it so do you think it needs to be refurbished?

*I* don't "freakin swear" anything about what "u" saw when "u" went to "ki"!

If you were made of wooden planks and a metal train full of Americans drove over you at 40 miles per hour, you might shake, too! That is to say, all wooden roller coasters react to the train traveling overhead and all appear to "shake" when that happens. It's normal and you can rest assured that if anyone were in any foreseeable danger, the ride would not operate.

Keep in mind that most man-made structures are able to way, contract, expand, and move with wind, earthquakes, heat, etc. If The Racer was made so rigid that it couldn't sway or shake, how would the energy (shock?) produced by the moving train be released? (One of the smarties here with a physics background can speak more to that, I'm sure).

shake more than others, though...
  • Like 1

Very well put. Wood is a flexible material. It inherently will sway and move when temporary heavy loads are placed on it, such as a roller coaster train. If it was so rigid that it didn`t sway it would become brittle and break, which would not be good. The swaying helps the structure evenly distribute the loads across all members.

• Like 2

I bet you were typing on a telephone, or you were typing fast. Anyways all wood bends at one point or another, yes a few maybe one or two may need to be taken out, but if it were to have major issues then it would be shut down.

Yes all coasters need to bend and sway especially in turns to absorb the forces created by the train on the tracks. If they are rigid they cannot support the forces created by the train going over and the track and supports would snap causing a catastrophic collapse. They are designed that way. The Legend at HW comes to mind, with its focus on hard laterals, with big shifts by the supports.

It's not just wooden roller coasters that bend either... Check out this video of the Diamondback and the first two clips of the b-roll footage.

I know Vortex for a fact, the supports sink into the ground (double entendre!) and come back out again. Doesn't this put a lot of wear and tear on the footings? It's noticable on the midway between Coney Mall and Rivertown. What is going on here?

Every structure is designed to sway due to forces that are acted upon it. Go to the top of any skyscraper and you will notice it sways in the wind. It is the same with bridges and other tall objects. Even the Eiffel Tower in Pairs and at Kings Island sway in the wind. If it was rigid it would collapse upon itself.

Every structure is designed to sway due to forces that are acted upon it. Go to the top of any skyscraper and you will notice it sways in the wind. It is the same with bridges and other tall objects. Even the Eiffel Tower in Pairs and at Kings Island sway in the wind. If it was rigid it would collapse upon itself.

How are the ducks?