Coasters Getting Stuck

Hank

I don't know a whole lot about what happens when a coaster train gets stuck along its circuit. Maybe some of them never do? But I was thinking particularly about Vortex. Besides wanting to know what the park does when a train stops during its course, has Vortex ever stopped in its corkscrew? I know that it can be stopped at the MCBR and that there should be enough velocity to propel it through the corkscrew, but has it ever happened that it simply didn't make it?

lost coaster of superstition mountain (indiana beach) sometimes cant make it out of the cave & back to the station. but then again, it used to be a dark ride that was retro fitted to make a new ride by turning it into a coaster. it packs alot of twists & turns. but the only (mechanical) way for it to make it out of the cave & up the ramp is enough momentum & truck tires like you see on swinging ships (example: viking fury). so yes, tests can be done & safety measures put into play; but even then it comes down to nature & science.

rotag, who has experienced a few rollbacks into the cave on locosumo...

The velocity would make it able to go through the corks, its been tested for any occasion.

Really? How'd that work on Demon in Chicago on one occasion?

If it just stalled, what was stopping them from just giving the train a push to get it moving again like they do if TTD stalls at the top of the hill? (I mean this seriously and literally, as I'm sure they probably would have done just that if it was possible.)

But what do tthey do to get the train moving again - especially in the case of Vortex getting stuck in the corkscrew?

Winch it back up into the brakes and remove each car one at a time with a crane.

Edit: You are right Interpreter. Vortex has never left passengers stranded upside down.

Either manually push or evacuate and then winch. Son of Beast valleyed fairly often. Sometimes the track was cut apart to allow the cars to be lifted off with a crane and taken back to a high place, from which to coast on for the rest of the course. Racer had helper chains to help it up the hill before the turnaround during the early season (bearings not yet as warmed up as later in the season).

I've rolled back on the Dragster, almost being stuck at the top. But as far as your concern, I don't think this would be a very "usual" thing to ever happen. Like its been said multiple times, this was a very very rare occurrence.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I am new to the forum :)

This might be a silly question, so I will go ahead and apologize if it is ;)

Is it rare that coasters get stuck and people get evacuated? I have seen some get stuck a few times and have been stuck maybe 3 times in my life but everything always seemed to start back up and be okay pretty quickly. Just curious. I love riding them but I have to admit that the thought of being evacuated doesn't sound too fun to me ;)

Hi, I am new to the forum :)

This might be a silly question, so I will go ahead and apologize if it is ;)

Is it rare that coasters get stuck and people get evacuated? I have seen some get stuck a few times and have been stuck maybe 3 times in my life but everything always seemed to start back up and be okay pretty quickly. Just curious. I love riding them but I have to admit that the thought of being evacuated doesn't sound too fun to me ;)

Hello EnchantedMoon! Welcome to the forum!