Believe ir or not, but weather makes a differance

PKICoasterFreek

Believe it or not, but weather actually decides how a coaster will "act" on that day.

I find this subject fasinating, because the rides will perform differantly when the weather is hot or cold outside.

There is a simple "theory", most of all found noticable on bridges, but during hot weather the bridges will "expand" and on cold weather the bridges will "contract". if you have ever looked at an over pass of anysort you will see these little areas were the bridge will be "broken" away from the main part of the roadway and there will be an area of metal " teethed" like grooves. This is to recooperate for the " expanding" and the " contracting" of the bridge.

Well, coaster work the same way, esspecially with the wooden coasters. If this "theory" is correct then it explains most things rough, slow, fast and loose rides. I have put this "theory" to the test and so far it hasn't gone wrong. i have found that when the weather is cool or even cold out , most wooden coasters are slower and possibly rough due to the " contracting" of the wood and the track. When the weather is warner and maybe a little hymid, the coaster will be very quick and more rough, this is due to the "expanding" of the structiure and the track giving the train a little bit more room to move and shake around. But if you hit that perfect day right in the middle of the year when it is warm but cool at the same time your ride should be perfect.

I have tested this "theory" out on both The Beast and Son of Beast. I have had to ride in the same car and in the same seat each time I rode to make sure my "research" was correct. There were a couple of weekend back last year when I had some time to go to the park and ride the coasters. It was in the middle May last year as well, partually why I am talking about this right now. during thos couple of weekends I experienced all hot, warm, cool and cold temperatures. The "theory" I talked about above took place and there was one day that I rode noth The Beast and Son of Beast during middle 60 degree days and i had the best ride of my life on both of them that day, never have experienced it since. maybe this year I will get lucky again, but now that the weather is warming up i am sure i will have to wait towards the end of the season. Don't think this is goingto keep me from riding the rides, lol NOPE! biggrin.gif

- Anyone have anything to say?

Yes you are correct in saying that the temperature effects the structure of the ride. Steel has a much larger expansion rate than wood. Both could realisticly change due to weather conditions. Temperature is not the only factor that effects how the cars ride though. The humidity levels can make a major diffrence in how wooden coaster rides. A high humidity can cause the track to swell up causing a rougher ride.

Also, the ride can depend on how the train is loaded (if there are seats open or they are all full of 300 lbs people). Things like wheel and track ware can also cause a bad ride.

So to comment on your theory... Yes, temperature should make a diffrence on how smooth a rollercoaster is. But, it is not the only factor.

SOmeone did figure this out a very long time ago.

LOL

Anyway, there are other factors like wind speed. This is why Top Thrill Dragster has problems with rollbacks. The wind generally comes from the opposite direction that the train is traveling over the top. And, coldness affects it somehow, but I'm not sure how. Also, I think this is true but correct me if I'm wrong, SOB could close due to high winds as well.

Yes, wind does have a factor in TTD's rollbacks, but the main reason why it rolls back often in the morning is because the temperature is cooler. When the ride is just starting out, the lubricants in the wheel bearings are not warmed up to what they would be later in the day, meaning they do not rotate as freely as they would when warmed up.

There are also many other factors which I'm sure Tyson can fill us in since he's the mechanical engineering major here, but right now he's at the Boomerang Bay media preview. wink.gif

The temperature effects wood coasters too. It's held together by steel nails/bolts/whatever which, on a small scale, either push or pull the wood together or apart. On a large scale, that can determine how turbulent the ride will be.

Good post, but none of this is exactly groundbreaking.