Drink Wristbands

FOFreak

But that's just the point; you're limiting the abuse. Technically, one could take their $5 20 oz wrist band right now, and resell an unlimited amount of drinks to park guests. But, if the wrist band is limited to 5 drinks, it doesn't really matter. The amount of people doing this would be a tiny percent, and at $1 each, KI is still making a healthy profit.

IF KI is making a healthy profit at $1 each, why not just charge $1 each? Why is it okay to charge the unknowing about $4 each, while the cognoscenti pay only $1?

In addition, currently a family of four may be paying $20 for four wristbands for an average of two and a half drinks each (three each for the adults, two each for the kids). Under your system the park gets only $10. To correct some abuse, the park would give up far more.

The easiest system would be either no wristbands except groups or the Holiday World model (where the cost, perceived as free, is built into admission).

First off, as a business, you charge what people will pay to maximize profits. Some people won't bat an eye at paying $4 for 1 drink, so you charge them that. Others find it absurd and will just drink free water; for these people, you offer discounts to entice them to buy drinks at a lower price. As an example, my sister rolled her eyes and became frustrated when I began searching for a coupon when buying a large pizza at a local chain. She was hungry and felt that $12.99 was a fair price and would have paid it. Having always used coupons, I found that price so high that I would have chosen a different chain. However, within a few minutes, I managed to find a coupon for that exact same pizza for $5.99. Is it fair that my sister would have been charged $7 more? Very much so -- it's only unfortunate for them that I was buying on that particular day! ;)

Secondly, I don't get your logic regarding a family of 4 buying 4 wrist bands under the current system and 2 under my system. If they're ignorant enough or have particular morals about buying 4 wrist bands under the current unlimited system, why wouldn't they still buy 4 under my system? No rules have changed under my system; only an added limit. Each person is still being banded with a drink band that they are only supposed to use on themselves.

I respect Holiday World's model, and I'm glad it works for them. However, I don't see an issue with KI's current system (though it needs some tweaking). They're providing a lower gate price for those on a very tight budget (that don't purchase drinks in the park), and they risk losing them by increasing the gate price and including drinks. It's kind of like forcing everyone to buy a medium-optioned car for a higher price than base, and then eliminating the base option. There need to be different classes of access that draw in the highest number of customers.

However, I wouldn't mind seeing a Cedar Fair park experiment a year by switching to Holiday World's system. I do agree that there is a perception of value added to the day that might cause increased food, game, and merchandise sales. This might offset any lost customers due to the higher gate price. Of course, with a park that draws much larger crowds than Holiday World, the lines for free drinks might be so insane on Saturdays that it becomes a negative perk that people are paying for. It's all a very delicate system with advantages and disadvantages to be weighed. The park has begun experimenting by offering these drink bands, Fun Perks, etc. as they should be doing.

There is no way to prevent sharing of free drinks unless the park wants to force guests to consume the drink at the stand where it is purchased, where employees can make sure that the guest with the wristband is the only one drinking it. What's different between buying a drink for another family member and getting a free drink for another family member?

As others said, KI is going to try to maximize profits, so they've surely taken the idea that sharing will happen (against the rules of the wristband, if there are any, or not) into account.

They're obviously targeting a certain demographic with the wristband. Most likely, me. I carry around the same bottle of water all day and fill it up at fountains. I don't need soft drinks, I have water. I actually drink a lot of water and there's no chance I would pay $30+ for the equivalent volume of soft drinks during a day. I am also not interested in carrying around the oversized souvenir cup.

However, I will pay $5 for a wristband that lets me get the 20oz drinks on demand. So, the park has $5 more than it used to have, at a cost of very little--fountain drinks are extremely cheap for them to provide. The only real question is how much they are losing from the people who would have spent $30+ on drinks, and are now spending only $5. I'm sure they've crunched the numbers and probably continue to do so.

• Like 1

I had our "family drink wristband" on today and went to the LaRosas in Rivertown to get a 20 oz water and the girl told me that she got in trouble for giving someone water with one of these wristbands. I said this is crazy that I can't get a water and went ahead and ordered a Fanta Orange!! A supervisor overheard our conversation and told the girl that she can give water to those that have wristbands.

I had our "family drink wristband" on today and went to the LaRosas in Rivertown to get a 20 oz water and the girl told me that she got in trouble for giving someone water with one of these wristbands. I said this is crazy that I can't get a water and went ahead and ordered a Fanta Orange!! A supervisor overheard our conversation and told the girl that she can give water to those that have wristbands.

Sounds like the girl who I asked if they could sell me drink wristbands at a Larosas stand for the 20oz. She said they only had the souvenir and she had no idea where the 20 oz ones were. Needless to say I just bought the souvenir one and got 20 oz drinks no problem.

I think something is glitched with this whole unlimited 20 oz soft drink wrist bands, I mean $5 dollars for all day 20 oz soft drinks, that's too good to be true, When one drink alone cost over $4.00. Even with the soviner cups you pay 1.99 for a refill or $5 for the band, so it takes at least 3 refills to get your money's worth!

• 4 weeks later...

FYI....Our recent visit on Sunday proved that Kings Island has caught on and are 'Not Allowing The Purchase Of $5.00 Unlimited 20oz Softdrink Wrist Bands..Anywhere". It is NOW only a FUNPERK option that MUST be redeemed at the FUNPERK stand either by printing them out at home, or they will print them out for you on the spot.

Here's the real humdinger. I didn't print my funperks coupon because I thought it to be a real value to always purchased the band at a soda stand. Never had a problem. This was at every stand, every weekend. I have a Rainbow of bracelets for drinks in my drawer. What is funny is that this past Sunday, I stopped at Skyline on International Street (like always) and was told to go to purchase them at Funperks stand by the Theatre. I did so where I was informed that they NEVER EVER SOLD THEM IN THE PARK. NEVER!!! Then after advising that his information was wrong, I was then directed out of line to Customer Service who then proceeded to tell me that maybe I was confused from last year and that to his knowledge nobody in the park sold 20oz wristbands. I was furious. I did it. You guys have done it. I spent thirty minutes in the park before doing thing else arguing about that I'm not crazy. So, I was re-directed to the Funperks where I had to use a perk to get the wrist band.

Somebody needs to get their story straight...because as I went throughout the park getting my drinks, I asked each employee if they remember selling the bands this year and they said yes...Both the refill cups and the 20oz.

So I guess the funtimes are over! I'd pay $10 to get an unlimited drink band for the day. Seriously!!!

That's strange as on Sunday we purchased wrist bands at La Rosa's inside the Festhaus.

Grrrrrr! I wish I had known that. I actually went to three places to purchase bands on Sunday before getting the runaround. We always go to Skyline first when we enter because we head to FoF. This time, we went Right because we wanted to ride The Beast first...and stopped at: Cinnibon because there was no line, then LaRosa's on International Street and then Skyline. All telling me to buy them at the FunPerks Stand.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I am also aware that Kings Island wants $12 for parking, and has Coke, not Pepsi...but, from central Indiana, hmm...better do some math- this is how much it would cost me and 3 friends/family members to visit both parks:

Kings Island

4 Tickets: $30.99x4=$123.96

Parking: $12.00

Gas (From Central Indiana, 127 Miles, 25mpg car, Gas Price $3.75 per gallon): $38.10

Drink Wristbands: 4 x$5= $20.00

Total Cost: $194.06

Holiday World

4 Tickets: $37.99x4=$151.96

Parking: $0.00

Gas (Same Values, distance now 180 Miles): $54.00

Drink Wristbands: Not Needed

Total Cost: $205.96

Well, it's only an $11 difference here...I guess the choice boils down to wether you want tons of huge thrill rides (Kings Island) or a massive waterpark (Holiday World)...now, if this is only a Season Pass item, it makes getting a KI season pass well worth it, especially when they are $69.99 during haunt...

• 3 years later...

Maybe this means that we might be getting a larger tea selection provided by Gold's Peak or Lipton for The Kings Island and or Holiday World properties? Kings Island would be my tea place if Gold's Peak were to come for the Souvenir Cups, of which really I will never have to worry about drinking Coca-Cola all day. Holiday World already has some tea offerings but only one I believe for their drink stations.

I will have to admit, I love it that Holiday world gives out these free drinks. It's easy to grab and it's in the right portioned cup for a small walk to the next coaster or drink station. Meanwhile at Kings Island, sure I get the big 2016 Season Cup, pay 10 dollars up front and 1 dollar every time i refill it after the first day, but that still adds up. Yet, if you think about it you pay a Gold/Platinum Pass price upfront, of which will usually never pay for merchandise, parking, and whatever else you can think of, the park will get 10 dollars, then 1 dollar for every few hours for your visit. Therefore, if someone buys a refill every 4 hours for an 10 hour visit, that's 2 bucks a visit, 10 if they come 5 days a week. So, in all honesty, what you pay in gas would be more if you were to go to your local Kings Island (If you are local to here as I know a few of us are not) and buy your own drink.