Best wooden roller coaster?

BB1

My favorite would have to be The Voyage! While I do love The Beast, Voyage is a crazy, exhilarating adventure of a rollercoaster. I even rode it last year when it was considered the roughest it had ever been. I can't wait to go again this year to experience it in all its retracked glory!

• Like 2

Definitely the Voyage. The Raven, The Beast, Tornado (Stricker's Grove), and the Legend round out my top five.

I may have to try this voyage coaster, sounds interesting.

You should! If you live in the Cincinnati/Dayton area, it's only about 3 hours to get there. It's worth it.

Agreed. Definitely worth the trip, though I should note that the Dayton area is actually about 4 hours away.

My favorite 10, not necessarily the 10 I feel are the best.

1. El Toro

2. Shivering Timbers

3. Prowler

4. Thunderhead

5. Ravine Flyer II

6. Raven

7. Wild One

8. Screechin' Eagle (Limited memory, but my first coaster ever.)

9. American Thunder

10. Legend

The Beast is the coaster that made me realize how fun coasters could be after years of being afraid of "big" drops (Thanks 1st generation Intiman freefall at SFOG when I was 8). But unless the sun has set and there is a heavy fog that has settled in the woods (after a good, hard rain) then I would rather ride The Racer any day. For me airtime > no air, tunnels and laterals.

The Voyage is now my favorite wooden coaster. Sorry, Kings Island and The Beast. I rode The Voyage about two weeks ago, re-track and all. I have nothing to compare to. The Voyage is an awesome roller coaster. Anyone who can make the trip, Holiday World has 3 wonderful wooden delights.

I also have to comment, the staff was A++

Every single person we came in contact with were truly glad that you were there to enjoy the park.

BTW- Unlimited drinks all day

• Like 1

Yeah, I always hate to say Kings Island isn't my favorite park, because it is my home park, but Holiday World is just awesome. The Kochs do so well running it. I remember when I went (two years ago. I miss it!) there was an employee washing a window and while she was doing it she waved and smiled at everyone that passed her. I also did not find one piece of trash on the ground. That aside, they do have awesome roller coasters and the best waterpark I've been to!

• Like 1

Am I the only here that thinks Voyage is the 3rd best coaster at Holiday World? Out of those I have ridden my top ten are.

1. Legend (airtime, crazy unpainful laterals, ride interaction, tunnels!)

2. Thunderhead at night

3. Beast (only at night)

4. Raven

5. Voyage

6. Grizzly (KD) at night

7. Rampage :(

8. Swamp Fox

9. GA Cyclone

10. GASM (SFOG)

Granted if I ever get a chance to ride El Toro, Boulder Dash, Cornball, Prowler, etc my list will likely alter.

Am I the only here that thinks Voyage is the 3rd best coaster at Holiday World? Out of those I have ridden my top ten are.

I think Voyage is probably the best coaster at Holiday World, but I also think it is the least tolerable. Therefore, not in my top 10. Comfort and fun > broken ribs and headaches. In all fairness though I haven't been on it since the re-tracking this year, so my opinion is based off of my rides from the past 3 seasons.

There are a few serious gaps in my wood collection that I would like to fill as well. Namely Boulder Dash, Phoenix, Kentucky Rumbler, Tremors and Renegade to name a few.

OK, I'll bite...with a top 5 list...I have been to Indiana Beach (not since 1999 though), Kings Island, and Holiday World...

MCSALSA'S TOP 5 WOODEN COASTERS

#1-The Beast

Huge drops (135' and 141'). High speeds (64.77mph). 7,359 feet of track buried in 35 acres of dense woods. 4 tunnels. A 540 degree helix finale. Amazing pacing. Awesome Night Rides. I know it has little airtime and tons of straight track, but it does everything else so well, I don't really care. ^_^

#2-The Voyage

As good as Beast is, it is only #1 because of its night rides. My #1 woodie with the Sun up is The Voyage. The Voyage, when running properly, is downright epic...I did not give a (SHUT YO MOUTH) that the ride beat the tar out of me. It had downright INSANE airtime that made Diamondback look like a puppy, numerous "head choppers" (Voyage's airtime+head choppers combo is downright crazy...crazy fun!) too many tunnels to count, and unrelenting intensity. To be fair, I have never ridden The Voyage @ Night, mainly because Holiday World, for some reason, closes early...however, I would love to go to Holiwood Nights or some other event if I got the chance, simply to try this sucker at night...one of the few things that I can knock against The Voyage, however, was that my last 2 rides on it were far inferior to what I got in 2010 (the ride had little airtime for some reason, killing the head chopper effect, and was even rougher than usual!).

#3-The Legend

Yeah, if I ever do Holiwood Nights, I can't forget Legend either. The ride packs the best first drop I've ever been on, wood or steel, lots of airtime, interaction with other rides, strong laterals, a helix, tunnels...Legend is the all-you-can-eat buffet of wooden roller coasters! However, it falls to #3 simply because these elements, on their own, while great fun, can't quite overcome The Beast or The Voyage.

#4-The Raven

The smallest and oldest wooden coaster at Holiday World, The Raven is a coaster that packs more "oomph" than it looks. It's got solid airtime (strangely missing when I rode in 2011), respectable laterals, and great pacing. And it, like Beast, is buried in the forest and even one-ups Beast in this category by going over a lake! And it's also very smooth for a woodie! So why is Raven only #4? One reason, and one alone- it's simply far too short. I'm digging this awesome ride, and then buzzkill...there's the brakes, already. :( (Kings Island's Flight Deck has this same problem)

#5-The Racer (I perfer Red Racer)

Believe it or not, I once hated this ride, because it scared me to death as a 9-year-old. I didn't know what airtime was, and it made me think I was going to fall out. 9 years later, however, after overcoming my fear of coasters (thanks to Beast) and learning what airtime was (thanks to Diamondback), I gave Racer a second chance. It's been forgiven- the ride is quite simple, as you go up and down up and down up and down and get good airtime, turn around, and do it again. But it's got that classic wood coaster appeal. And it was, ironically, the first ride I ever managed to hold my hands up the entire ride, 12 years after it scared me to death in 2000.

Honorable Mention: Hoosier Hurricane @ Indiana Beach

I loved Hoosier Hurricane as a kid, rode it 3 times with my dad. Wasn't afraid of it...went on it 3 times...then went on Racer @ KI and became afraid of roller coasters...I would like to get back to IB someday, a friend of mine went recently and said HH was running great (but he also told me that IB has, as I have feared, become run-down)...

This is current as of 6/14/2012. I have yet to ride such epic rides as El Toro (SFGadv), Boulder Dash, Colossos (Heide Park), T-Express, Hades, Shivering Timbers, Cornball Express, Ravine Flyer II, Son of El Toro (coming to SFGadv in 2013 :P ), etc etc. There is a possibility that all 5 of my current top 5 coasters could fall out of the list... PS: One of the coasters I listed above is fake and a joke...

1. Voyage (Holiday World)

2. Shivering Timbers (Michigan's Adventure)

3. Cornball Express (Indiana Beach)

4. Raven (Holiday World)

5. American Thunder (Six Flags St. Louis)

6. Georgia Cyclone (Six Flags Over Georgia)

7. Prowler (Worlds of Fun)

8. Boardwalk Bullet (Kemah Boardwalk)

9. Legend (Holiday World)

10. Thunderhead (Dollywood)

Don't get me wrong, I love Beast, but it doesn't provide the best ride. To me, its more sentimental value rather than being an amazing ride.