Best wooden roller coaster?

BB1

I'll be honest, people. I just don't like The Beast that much. I guess it's because everyone here talks about how great it is and it kind of makes me think it's awesome as well; kind of like the placebo effect with medicine? It's still a great ride but not my favorite. My honest top 5 now.

#1. The Voyage

#2. The Legend

#3. The Raven

#4. The Racer

#5. The Beast

#1- The Voyage- Just an absolute BLAST from beginning to end. The only rest on this ride is the MCBR that last about 3-5 seconds... A Masterpiece!

#2- The Beast- Great ride through the woods. You truly feel alone out in the back with this classic. Double helix finish is a great way to end this ride. The night rides are just fantastic!

#3- The Legend- Very underappreciated IMO. I like the hard laterals and the pockets of airtime mixed in throughout the ride.

#4- The Raven- I think this one could be in the running for #2 only if the ride was about 500-700 feet longer... It seems like the ride just gets going right when it ends.

Ok. After 110 Rides in a Row for Coasting for Kids this past Sunday, I now have new found LOVE for "The Racer". The Racer is everything I think an old tyme coaster should ride and feel like! I NEVER had so much fun actually racing and talking to guest who were intrigued about "how many rides have you done?", "are you trying to break a record?" & "you guys are crazy!" all while going up the first lift. It was a Hoot!!!

Now, after getting a Beast Tour (which has always been a dream of mine), I took a ride on The Beast about two hours later and for the first time....it seemed like after seeing all the behind the scene stuff, the ride only lasted about a minute and a half. It was the shortest Beast Ride of my life. I don't know why. I guess the way to describe it is to imagine watching a magician do a magic trick and being facinated with it, but once you know the secret and see it performed again, it looses it's Lustre.

And, I worked last year in Gatlinburg, TN and one of my employee perks was a VIP pass to Dollywood. I never heard of THUNDERHEAD until then, and all I have to say is WOW! It is one of the most fun and thrilling coasters I've ever rode. I never laughed so hard on a coaster before and that's what this does. It never lets up, even flying through the que house, it was amazing.

Final Results:

1) The Beast at Night - The Standard to How I Judge All Other Coasters

2) Thunderhead - The Feel Good Coaster

3) The Racer - The Classic Coaster

Last year I went to St. Louis and found American Thunder(Evel Knievel). It became a favorite, along with Phoenix.

After those, I prefer Georgia Cylone, El Toro, Raven, Thunderhead, and The Voyage as my top 7.

The Beast would be in there too, if I only included night rides.

1. Legend

2. Voyage

3. Beast

4. Blue Streak front row only

5. Raven

The Raven just beat me up last week and was way to short. After riding the Legend I was physically exhausted. Hell of a ride.

I'll be at Dollywood in a few days so this list is gonna change.

my favorite is the Son of Beast, just because i like tall & fast roller coasters.

it didn't jerk me around too much, & i just love it

Kaitlin - welcome to KIC.

At the risk of being rude, however, I'm also going to ask you to think about how often you post about your "love" of SoB (which is mentioned in your first 5 posts to the site - and is part of your Avatar). You even admit to only riding it once the week before it closed and it being very rough in another post - not exactly the foundation for undying love.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the forums - just wanted to give you a heads up that always posting about SoB won't earn you much respect or many friends around here.

Tornado is my favorite wooden coaster. There's some vibe of "old fashioned entertainment" on that ride that goes a long way.

Does the new Texas Giant count? Racer is always on my "must ride" list at Kings Island. Thunderhead is also a good time, especially at night.

Also, Gwazi? No. Not at all.

My top 5 has to be

1. Thunderhead just awesome

2. Beast longest Wooden roller coaster in the world and awesome night rides

3. Racer just a classic

4. Mean Streak I haven't been to many parks so this basically has to be put in there

5. Big dipper (Camden Park) my first coaster and from my home park gotta give Camden a shout out

My favorites are are the following, and no, I have never ridden The Voyage. :)

1. Mean Streak, the track work that was done to it over the off-season was amazing. The ride is almost smooth compared to how rough it has been in the past. I like it because it is well paced and fun with a good layout and a good amount of airtime.

2.The Beast, it is a classic with a very fast paced and exciting layout that feels like it's never going to end.

3.Blue Streak, A very fun little coaster with (maybe) the best airtime I've ever experienced.

4.The Georgia Cyclone, It was my first wooden roller coaster and it holds many fond memories, even though it feels like it's trying to kill you.