No Big Ride

SonofBaconator

Okay this will take a while to read.

People think that Kings Island is going to get a new coaster that's 300 something feet and its going to be one of the best roller coasters in the world. But here's the thing, Kings Island is owned by Cedar Point. As any regular coaster enthusiast would know, Cedar Point owns most amusement parks in the US besides Six Flags and Busch Gardens. Cedar Point is known for its world class rides and their high, world record breaking coasters. Cedar Point will never make a Coaster that's bigger than one of their famous ones. For example: Look at Millennium Force, it broke several world records back in the 2000's and if they put a roller coaster that's taller than that at one of their other amusement parks, they'll lose many things. First is publicity because if people realize that their is a bigger coaster than Millennium Force or Top Thrill, than they will go to that park and there will be less guests at Cedar Point. Second, they have tons of world records and they don't want one of their parks being better than them. Think of Cedar Fair Entertainment Company as a gang. You've got your big tough guy(Cedar Point) who is the big dog and nothing goes past him. Now if his henchmen(the other parks Cedar Fair owns) tries to do something worst (aka build a bigger coaster) than the leader than they have a problem but the leader will let his henchmen to little things. As an example look at Canada's Wonderland: They rust build a whopping 306 ft hyper coaster. Does anyone relize that all of the coasters that ceadr fair creates at their other parks are so slightly shorter than their own? Or what about Intimidator 305 at Kings Dominion that's 300ft tall? I've been thinking of this deeply and it annoys me when I hear people say, "Oh, Kings Island is gonna tear don Son of Beast and build a new ride that's 300 something feet." If they do build a new coaster, its gonna be just under 310 feet.

I'd like to hear what you guys have to say to this.

First of all, Kings Island is owned by Cedar Fair.

Secondly, Kings Island and Cedar Point are two very different parks with different park guests and expectations. Cedar Point has been known as "roller coaster capital of the world" for years- Kings Island, Canada's Wonderland, etc. have not.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if we were only comparing Cedar Point and Kings Island, Cedar Point would be considered a destination park while Kings Island would be considered a regional park.

"Cedar Point will never make a Coaster that's bigger than one of their famous ones."

So why did they make Top Thrill then?

Because he meant "Cedar Fair" at the beginning of the sentence and "Cedar Point's" in place of "their" near the end.

Ok first of all, Cedar Fair was named after Cedar Point and Valleyfair as they were the only two parks when Cedar Fair was founded. Second, I agree with him. Kings Island will not get a giga coaster, they are just not that kind of park. Also, ya Dick wouldn't of let a coaster be built taller than Millennium at a different park but Matt is about family attractions. People think that Kings Island will get a giga coaster just because Canada's Wonderland did. Let me guess, Carowinds will get a giga coaster in 2014 right?

WHAT?! I thought we were getting a gigastratamegahyper coaster next year that launches 20 miles per hour and goes up 17,000 feet in the air! Now I'm dissappointed.

The 3 mile climb would be pretty cool, assuming I didn't black out, but the 9 minute wait to climb to the top (assuming a steady 20 mph rate after launch) would feel like forever :)

Seriously, how many people would really care if King's Island got a 308 foot tall coaster or a 315 foot tall coaster? Besides, I'd say getting a 300 footer, after Diamonback being their last major install isn't likely. I'd put a 300+ foot tall coaster about 5th on my list of coaster types that I'd like to see the park add thru the years, not to mention the other type of rides I'd like to see them install.

Okay so maybe not a 300ft roller coaster, does it matter? The fact is that they wasted a lot of money on WindSeeker. They should of used the money to build a ROLLer Coaster or fix SoB. Something other than WindSeeker.

@Meford, DB is probably not their last MAJOR coaster, maybe they will build something bigger. But I agree with you, I would put 300 foot tall coaster at about 5th on my list.

Okay so maybe not a 300ft roller coaster, does it matter? The fact is that they wasted a lot of money on WindSeeker. They should of used the money to build a ROLLer Coaster or fix SoB. Something other than WindSeeker.

@Meford, DB is probably not their last MAJOR coaster, maybe they will build something bigger. But I agree with you, I would put 300 foot tall coaster at about 5th on my list.

So what kind of coaster or fix of SOB would come at $5 something million?

Sorry for the confusion, didn't mean last one ever (at least I certainly hope not), I meant the last major coaster (or ride) they built, meaning the next couple roller coasters probably won't be a similar go high, go up & down, turn around come back type ride, something with a smaller footprint, likely some inversions, etc... In other words, I don't envision their next coaster to be a clone of Leviathan (sp?) at CW or Millie up at Cedar Pointe. I wouldn't complain if that were the case, just not how I think things will go.

I'd love to see a 4th dimension or winged coaster, a B&M invert, a floorless, etc..

Some sort of family style rollercoaster would seemingly fit the new CEO's message, thinking about the size of Italian Stunt job or Adventure Express

A water coaster for Soak City would make a nice addition

A new large flat or two in different areas of the park

an indoor themed family ride (preferrably water based) would fit the new CEO's message as well or even an outdoor family style boat ride where you don't get too wet (think about incorporating all the dino's into some sort of boat ride)

All of the above would require a sizeable investment, and IMHO would make the list of additions to King's Island prior to the addition of something like Leviathan.

Check out X-2 at Six Flags Magic Mountain something like THAT would be awesome

Agreed, plus if they used the area around SOB or behind X-Base or by what used to be The Crypt, they could combine the key hole elements of X-Base with the terrain and woods feel of Wild Eagle and get something better than the most recent winged riders. Something tells me however, with the winged coaster going up at Cedar Pointe, Cedar Fair will wait a few years (decade?) before adding something similar a couple hundred miles down the same state. Would love to be wrong on that count and see a winged rider standing in place of SOB in 2014 or 2015 though.