Soak City Disappointment?

Joncars05

I have been to Soak City 3 times so far this year. There have been a couple of things that have sort of disappointed me with the expansion.

1. Rocks/Pebbles- I have noticed rocks and pebbles everywhere throughout the paths. I walk with no shoes on through the water park and can't help but step on at least 2-3 pebbles in the middle of the paths.

2. "Action River"- Now I will preface this with I like getting "soaked" in the water park. Heck that is usually the point of going to the water park. But I can't help but being upset with the way they have set up the new Lazy/Action river. The zero depth entry is nice but after that the first "action" part has you getting spray/blasted/shot in the face with jets and water guns from little kids on the side. THEN you get shot and if you are "lucky" get a full bucket of water dumped on you from above when you go under the bridge... You can avoid most of the other water spouts but not the aforementioned water effects.

Now I know I sound grumpy but to me the lazy river was the only place in Kings Island/Soak City where you could get in the water and relax without having to fight waves or slide down anything. You could just sit there and float. These new water attractions really take that away. mainly just the two "human controlled" water areas. Now there is no where to relax in water at SC.

3. New wave pool- Now I do not know if the new wave pool is heated. But it sure seems like it. Also the major flaw with this wave pool is the fact that they allow water tubes in the pool. Not only is it annoying, it is flat out dangerous because the tubes are amassed where the waves are crashing and if you don't have one well you better grab onto someone's tube otherwise you will end up under someone or getting hit in the head while trying to swim. I really could see someone dying drowning from these tubes just purely from being over taken by a group of 6 people interlocking their arms. In the new wave pool it seems that if you want to be in the ,as KI touts "more aggressive waves", you will need a tube to enjoy it.

4. $12-$15 lockers, w/ no refund (oh and exact change)...- That is just outrageous. Especially for a park that isn't even known for their water section. HW's lockers are $10 with a $5 refund... Yes I know they are smaller but still you can buy two for $5 less than one at KI. I feel that they are taking advantage of you for having to use a locker in the waterpark. It is almost straight gouging and I don't know about you folks but I hate feeling like I am being taken advantage of... $15 is just too much for a locker IMO

These are just some of my peeves about the new SC. I think that the paint jobs and new additions of the volleyball courts are actually pretty cool. But I still think that

These are just my opinions. I want to know what you folks think. Are you disappointed with anything at SC?

• Like 1

I'm not real impressed with SC either, for some of the same reasons you are disappointed. On Action River, the "interactive" part just plain sucks. I don't like it that I can be blasted mercilessly by some punk who thinks he's working a pressurized neti pot and doing me a favor cleaning my sinuses. You are dead on when you say that there needs to be a place to just relax in the water, and The Beach had that with the Lazy Miami. Action River is not it. The entrance to Action River is a study in chaos and if someone gets hurt at SC, it will be there.

I've only been there once, for the Gold Pass preview, and that was enough to convince me that I don't want to be there when it is truly crowded. The lines for the slides, the tubes in the wave pools, lack of security..... I just didn't enjoy it. I'm a little surprised I'm saying this, but I liked The Beach better.

Locker prices, as mentioned, are exorbitant as well. I already leave most of my stuff in the car when we are in the dry-park, and have established with the kids that when we go to KI, we will visit only one side or the other. This way we don't have to stash wet towels in the car or a locker to be secure while we hit the coasters, or clothes while we swim.

To be fair though, I should go again and give it another chance. Some of this may have smoothed out as the season has progressed, and I'd like to try the surfing simulator.

"I really could see someone dying from these tubes just purely from being over taken by a group of 6 people interlocking their arms. In the new wave pool it seems that if you want to be in the ,as KI touts "more aggressive waves", you will need a tube to enjoy it."

Dying? C'mon man, I think that's a bit dramatic. If you look on each side of the pool there are many employees bobbing there heads up and down constantly. They're not trying to get cricks out of their necks, they're scanning the pool for any problems. If they see a problem, I betchya they're on it like stink on poop.

The point of the new wave pool is to be floating on tubes. I thought there weren't enough tubes last weekend.

If you want to be in a wave pool without tubes.... when you first start walking into the tube pool entrance....look to the left!!!!! Your gonna be shocked.

You seem to be complaining about getting soaked in the river at "Soak City", I don't know how to reply to that.

If you want to chill out in the water, try sitting at the edge of either wave pool. Many people do that and seem to be enjoying themselves.

If you look on each side of the pool there are many employees bobbing there heads up and down constantly. They're not trying to get cricks out of their necks, they're scanning the pool for any problems. If they see a problem, I betchya they're on it like stink on poop.

To the best of their abilities, yes. I don't think the OP is knocking the personnel or their training. I think the point here is that someone can get trapped under a raft of tubes and in the conditions, if you can't get up, the lifeguards will have a tough time getting to you. They won't be skipping across the pool using peoples' heads like stepping stones to pull you up by the scruff of your neck like a cartoon hero.

I went to Soak City for the first time ever last friday and I have to admit, I was a bit underwhelmed. Perhaps I have just been spoiled by Splashin' Safari, but there was something missing from Soak City that I couldn't quite put my finger on. While I understand why they do things like making people get out of the lazy/action/packed in like sardines river after one lap, it really takes away from the overall experience. Perhaps it was the fact that the park was insanely packed, but the park just didn't do it for me.

to put in perspective- I think the main drive of the SC expansion was to bring the waterpark into the broader brand alignment of the other CF Soak City properties (naming and color schemes). as someone who has kids and has spent a deal of time in the kiddie pool section i have to say the BEST off-season project was the addition of the new sidewalks behind the kiddie pool area! doesn't take much to please me there.

Dying? C'mon man, I think that's a bit dramatic. If you look on each side of the pool there are many employees bobbing there heads up and down constantly.

You seem to be complaining about getting soaked in the river at "Soak City", I don't know how to reply to that.

If you want to chill out in the water, try sitting at the edge of either wave pool. Many people do that and seem to be enjoying themselves.

Yes I guess I should've changed the word from dying to drowning. I have seen it twice small kids 8-10 year old kids get swallowed by a pack of the 4 or more friends on tubes creating a ring. I have fallen victim to it as well. A wave gets you under then you come up for air and bam you're under a ring of tubes and you have to flip/fight them to get back to the surface. I'm sure the lifeguards are great at their jobs but as mentioned earlier they would have to also fight though those tubs to save someone. I just say if you are going to make it a "tube wave pool" add more tubes so more people can ride on them.

The second comment that you couldn't respond to was actually mentioned in the first sentence of that paragraph. "2. "Action River"- Now I will preface this with I like getting "soaked" in the water park. Heck that is usually the point of going to the water park." My complaint is that I don't like having to get shot in the face with water and buckets dumped on my head. Now the water elements that are throughout the ride are mostly optional but the other two ARE NOT. So you must take shots to the face to go along the lazy/action river.

BTW you are 100% correct I could go to the other wave pool which I will have to next time I visit to avoid those tubes.

I have been to several waterparks and KI Soak City is my least favorite. I agree with Joncars on being blasted in the face when entering action river,i could see a fight happening there.The last time they were not working and we were very happy not to have to turn our heads sideways to avoid having an eye or ear injury. My kids even hate them,unless there the ones shooting them! I also dont like the slow lines to get food and drinks,but thats all over the park.There slides are rather boring except Monsoon whatever,and there is way to much walking involved.They should have more than one entrance to action river as well.My wife would like an adult lazy river,like Zoombezi Bay,nice to get away and relax.I think the waterpark could have been designed much better from the start and there stuck with the terrible layout.I do enjoy the train ride there and back! I should add the changing areas and bathrooms arent the greatest either and locker prices just add injury to insult.

While I have to agree with the lockers, Kings Island staff does it's best to keep locker rooms clean. The slides are pretty fun seeing as Kings Island is REALLY an amusement park and not a water park by itself. Lazy River, yeah it;s really annoying to us older people but it DOES get enjoyed by younger kids, maybe not yours, but others and KI is a family based amusement park.

I think they should have left the old lazy river intact, and bulit a brand new Action River, like they have at CP, and other waterparks.

That would have been perfect. When I went to HW for the first time I thought having 2 lazy rivers and 2 wave pools was a bit silly. But when I went to Soak City for the first time and had to wait my turn to get into the lazy river/Action river I appreciated HW's two lazy river attractions. I think they should add another lazy river (that's actually lazy!) but I'm not sure where they would put it. I think they need some shade for the lazy river.

• Like 1

My family really enjoyed our time at SC.

We all hate getting sprayed in the face at the start of Action River but really enjoy the rest of it. Maybe the people spraying you could aim for something else but... knowing that's just not going to happen CF should really take them out.

I would love to have another good family slide that we can ride together.

Lockers are expensive and we're low on funds this year.

Otherwise, we had a great time.

I knew that Soak City was going to be a dissapointment the day they announced it. It's way overhyped for the fact that they haven't added any new waterslides and that the new wave pool isn't really more exciting than the old one. The water's warm, the intertubes are annoying, and the waves push you back and forth horizontally.

Well looky here a topic i can like!

2. PVC pipe with glue running down them, seriously?

If the # 2 worst complaint you can find is seeking out glue runnIng down PVC, which is not uncommon, SC is doing rather well!

And more for your enjoyment!

3. The AR was clogged today, and they still put in more tubes!

4. The water sprays were messed up to where they would not spray properly

5. Many repainted structures are chipping off, like the Didge erm water thingys are chipping.

I dont hate it infact its nice to have a new H2O park, new experiences new ideas new theme set (Yes i have gotten over the whole switch), theres just some improvements are needed. One improvement I have seen was of the SS having a bit of chipping, but was gone the next, I believe the complaints were just minor fixes that could be made.

1. Havent got to my sig. will sometime

2. It was sent to me as a buddy, he said it was a good idea for all my profile pictures on the sites, as a joke for my buddies.

Well looky here a topic i can like!

2. PVC pipe with glue running down them, seriously?

If the # 2 worst complaint you can find is seeking out glue runnIng down PVC, which is not uncommon, SC is doing rather well!

And more for your enjoyment!

3. The AR was clogged today, and they still put in more tubes!

4. The water sprays were messed up to where they would not spray properly

5. Many repainted structures are chipping off, like the Didge erm water thingys are chipping.

Paint chipping?

Wow.... I had NO idea..... It is simply amazing on what can be found if you look long enough.

Thanks for spending your money at KI! As a patron, I am glad to have people like you spend so much of their day looking for glue & chipped paint instead of in line for rides!.