Soak City Disappointment?

Joncars05

At least they ordered new chairs and got them the other day. Sure we would love a Holiday world water park, or even a Disney, or what I like a Dollywood with a coaster for H20 fans coming in 13.

But for Kingsisland and harking back to Coney it is to get you wet and enjoy! From Sunlite Pool to what is now Soak City.

went there today.

the water park is very nice. the improvements over last year are good and useful. that being said, it doesn't fit the hype it spurned. Wasn't it supposed to have doubled in size? If its doubled from years past, i'll give you a crisp George Washington dollar bill. Action River is OK- though from the marketing of it I was expecting water park white water tubing. I think they added an entrance, removed another, and added a bunch of water lines to squirt yo in the face.

It reminds me of the year that they were building DB, 2008- if not mistaken there wasn't anything new that year and the marketing engines shifted into high gear touting that the "Backward Racer" was being turned around so that it would be more like it was... thereby getting back to the original feel of the park. Everything was to be geared towards that... meanwhile they drained Swan Lake (is that what it was called?).

Either way, the water park is a great asset. i have no complaints for the most part. working as a Marketing consultant for several types of widgets, its intriguing to see how hyped up the message was over what was essentially new paint, a new entrance, a new wave pool, and a BUNCH of new tubes.

I think that Soak City is indeed new and improved. The new wave pool's waves are absolutely spectacular ( great exercise for me ) and although the lazy river is not really a lazy river any more with all the splashing, who cares? Its hot out and the extra splashes feel great. Also love the band by the bar which plays the calypso music. All and all, cannot think of a greater way to spend a hot, 90 plus day.

• Like 1

... All and all, cannot think of a greater way to spend a hot, 90 plus day.

I can. Ice cold beer, a big lake and a pontoon boat.

Beer actually will cause you to get de-hydrated on a hot day. Ice cold water is the best thing.

• Like 1

The only thing I can see being a problem at Soak City is the new wave pool. Either get rid of the tubes all together, or make them mandatory if you are more than 3 feet deep.

I am 6'6", 235 lbs, and being out there without a tube in the 5-6 foot section is flat out dangerous, and someone of smaller stature than myself is going to wind up drowning.

People act like fools, kick you, hit you, will flat out run you over, as they are not paying a bit of attention.

• Like 1

I am only 5'7'' and have already came close to drowning out there. I got pulled down by a wave, so I swam down to the bottom of the pool. Then when I was swimming back up I ran into this huge blob of tubes. I couldn't find an opening so I just pushed to tubes apart. And then when I got up the lady in one of the tubes started yelling at me because she could have "drowned".

If you've ever experienced dehydration, or have seen someone during it, you wouldn't say that. It is a very serious medical crisis.

Happened to me once, probably the worst I have ever felt.

I think Soak City is good, while it has never been the best waterpark, it is a great way to spend a few hours. My only complaints are they had too many tubes in AR and too little in the new wave pool. It was impossible to get a tube in the wave pool, and the tubes were all right next to each other in the lazy river.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I spent portions of the last two days in Soak City. A few impressions and thoughts:

1) Love the big waves in the new wave pool. My first day I thought the tubes were a serious problem. Not as bad today, and I truly did see a few times where guest were in peril, although nowhere near drowning. Lots of feet to the head and face. I thought about the pros and cons of this situation long and hard and really can't think of a great solution.

Volleyball courts and people using them. Good to see.

2) Love the new paint, everything looks sharp, clean and new.

3) New entrance. Nice

4) Band by the bar. Again, nice touch.

5) New path. Greatly needed and a great addition to the park, but WHY in God's creation did they WALL OFF THE OLD PATH? Couldn't they have just kept both paths intact? To me this was a boneheaded move.

6) Lazy river = action river. I see both sides of this argument and truly see the merits of both. I personally thought the old lazy river was nice, but needed a few more OPPORTUNITIES like the waterfall to get wet. The mandatory beating that you take in many sections is totally obnoxious though. Clearly a second river would have been a much better solution. As it is, I don't think any particular need is met. (ie. Not enough action or wetness for one crowd and very difficult to avoid it for the "lazy" crowd.) Many of the new water effects are already broken or have been disabled by the park, either way it reflects poorly on what was billed as a brand new attraction. Also, I believe that the original entrance should have been retained IN ADDITION TO the new one, as well as the original path as previously mentioned. Another boneheaded move in my opinion.

7) Changing rooms. I can't vouch for the womens, but I have an opinion on the Men's. The main changing room doesn't really have any private changing area. You have benches in a giant room and if you use that area people look at you like you are a pervert for being naked there. Other options are shower stalls and the most popular option of people changing in a toilet stall. I have two problems with this: 1) I don't want to change on a wet floor in front of a toilet in a men's room for what I hope are obvious reasons. 2) I actually needed to use a toilet on Sunday, but was unable to because the stalls were full of people changing their clothes instead of using the toilet.

The changing stalls connected to the bathrooms by the new lockers closest to the new wave pool..... they are a fenced in, empty room with a FILTHY, STAINED concrete floor. PLEASE pressure wash this area! Would it be difficult or unreasonable to think there might be a bench or chair in that area?

8) Stairs going up the Pineapple Pipeline are extremely slippery and are desperately in need of a new coat of slip free surface. They appear to have some mildew on them obviously due to the proximity of the nearby trees which contributes/causes the problem.

• Like 3

In the Action River, or Splash River as it has been somewhat appropriately dubbed, sounds like a huge dissappointment to general crowds this year. The could still have the water effects, but instead of powerwashing you, just a light pour. You don't need Shoot-the-RidersRapids style blasters, but a gentle spritz. That is where the spitting beagle would best fit!

• Like 1

I think they need to expand the dining area where the bar is (I have no clue what it's called) because it's pretty pointless to have a band play there when there's no room for people to sit. At least that's how it was when I went. I wanted to listen to the band but there was no room to sit.

• Like 1

I wish they would put some shade near the entrance of Action River. Waiting in line to get on that is terrible. Plus it doesn't help when someone decides to steal your flip flops and you're stuck walking on 100+ degree concrete.

I would rather just take my chances leaving my stuff in the field than paying for the lockers.. which by the way, needs more attention IMO. The hay is gone now and so are the seeds from what I can tell. I miss the grass to walk in/ lay out/ or leave things in. I'll just be patient with nature.

But all in all.. I'm not real happy with the new stuff aside from the new pool. It's only problem is the horizontal pushing and the over bombardment of tubes. I've had so many times people bump into me without even realizing it.

I wish the water wasn't warm like it is, but I went to the water park on a cold-ish day once, so it's not ALWAYS a bad thing ;)

I'm kinda disappointed in the "action" aspect of the river, it's not enough to get excited about, and it's too distracting to relax. But it's okay, I suppose.

I wish the path beyond Pineapple Pipeline wasn't closed off, I'm going to have to use the action river just to get to the other side now.

On a side note: Why don't they allow metal bearing swim trunks to be worn on body slides?

• Like 1

On a side note: Why don't they allow metal bearing swim trunks to be worn on body slides?

That happened with me too. The life guard made me put green caps over all the metal. I never had to do it before....

They can cut grooves or put scatches into the fiberglass, which makes the formerly smooth surface not so smooth. Now the next guest goes down the now damaged slide and gets scratched or a rough and uncomfortable ride. This has already happened to the point where many of the slides are somewhat painfull to go down.

• Like 1