Son of Beast/ Flight Deck Over Haul

logandmeredith@gmail.com

So the other day while visiting the park I overheard a man in a black polo with some BUSNIESS name on the shirt, talking about the "future plans" for the Son of Beast and flight deck, he was saying somthing about it has been costing more to upkeep the ride then people are using it (flight deck) and there was some talk of demolition of both as to take place for a very large coaster and a (updated look) to Action Zone, as well as adding a loop to the Delirium and extending the unpopular water ride in Action Zone as well to better attract riders inside of Action Zone, KI has already started to get ahead of the game with a complete repaint of "Invertigo" which then started to make sense, I began to look around as almost everything was washed up and outdated... this is all rumor as of now, but it does make some sense concitering those are all of things I would love to see come of that side of the park, but when was the last time you waited more than 10 minutes for a majority of the rides up for redo?

first let me be the first to welcome you to the forums!

the news one might hear at the park can be missleading. i'm not saying yours is but it could be something that has been passed around or even just someone wearing a company t shirt and really be just a guest talking about how the park could be improved.

I hope it isn't true becuase well i like SOB.

This "rumor" aside, Flight Deck does typically have low rider rates, however if SOB was up and running, I think that ride would be as busy Vortex on an average day (or at least close to it)

It faces the challenge of being in the back of the park, with few attractions around it to draw you to the part of the park. Its not a "must ride" coaster like The Beast or Diamondback, it doesn't hit you in the face the way The Racer does as you walk thru the park, many people that would ride it won't go on Drop Zone or the skyflyer upcharge, so it ends up out of sight, out of mind.

Now, on to the rumor, there are a ton of holes to punch there. They're not adding a loop to Delirium, why would you extend an unpopular water attraction (amazon falls)? More importantly, where would they extend it to? If they did anything they'd tear that sucker out of there. That's a ton of information to "overhear". All that would fit into an extended conversation (who was he talking to?) with some give & take, at some point the dude is going to look at you and tell you to get out of his business.

Unless his business is to stir up rumor and speculation about the future of Kings Island. In which case, mission accomplished.

A black polo in a park in summer? Hmmm. Some sort of business?

Terp, known to wear a suit and tie to parks on occasion, but not for leaking park information before its time.

This "rumor" aside, Flight Deck does typically have low rider rates, however if SOB was up and running, I think that ride would be as busy Vortex on an average day (or at least close to it)

It faces the challenge of being in the back of the park, with few attractions around it to draw you to the part of the park. Its not a "must ride" coaster like The Beast or Diamondback, it doesn't hit you in the face the way The Racer does as you walk thru the park, many people that would ride it won't go on Drop Zone or the skyflyer upcharge, so it ends up out of sight, out of mind.

Now, on to the rumor, there are a ton of holes to punch there. They're not adding a loop to Delirium, why would you extend an unpopular water attraction (amazon falls)? More importantly, where would they extend it to? If they did anything they'd tear that sucker out of there. That's a ton of information to "overhear". All that would fit into an extended conversation (who was he talking to?) with some give & take, at some point the dude is going to look at you and tell you to get out of his business.

I went there on a Saturday and stayed on the train for Flight Deck. Thats how very little people ride it.

I believe that the man you overheard was indeed a parkgoer. He may have looked like a business man, but I doubt he was.

I think that a Flight Deck/Son of Beast demo is a possibility that is on the Cedar Fair table. That would leave quite a bit of new room that the park could use. But in my eyes, I don't see Cedar Fair taking down Flight Deck unless there is mechanical wear that they know (or downtime issues) of that would cause problems in the next 5-10 years. Which, there very may could be that we are not aware of.

But if I were a betting man, I'd say no. SOB may have lived it's last days though.

I don't remember where I heard it- but the -then- Top Gun roller coaster was being measured for removal when GWL was built for a possible north entrance. i don't remember where I heard that- look at my posts from 5-6 years ago and I might have put that, i'm not going to look. I does sit back by itself and they don't go out of their way to make it look nice.

I'm not lending credibility to the original post of this thread- but I think that it does fall in line with what has to be brewing. Whether or not those conversations took place or not is irrelevant... any park-going patron knows that something is going to happen to SOB sooner or later and that its removal will likely be coupled with some broader project in the area. Back in May, while in AZ, I watched from afar as a CF entourage looked over SOB in plain view of anyone walking by making hand gestures. then as they walked by I overheard "we have several months before that announcement will be made." They could have been referring to announcing that they were going to fix pot holes in the parking lot for all I know- but if I were a betting man I would bank on an announcement regarding AZ coming- and it will probably include information on the future of a certain 200 foot wooden structure.

• Like 1

I think he was refering to the large crowds that Saturday brings in comparison to the lack of crowds you experienced on Flight Deck.

Yeah I figured that..... thats why I was so surprised. I think the main reason why nobody rides it is because its hidden and its a very short ride!!

While we're doing some speculating here, IF SoB is removed, I really don't think that anything will go in its place. I look for there to be development in other, sort of underrated spots (see Diamondback) in the park. I can see the "footprint" of the park just being moved away from that area, especially if FD is ever removed (which I would hate to see, because I really enjoy it).

• Like 1

I don't remember where I heard it- but the -then- Top Gun roller coaster was being measured for removal when GWL was built for a possible north entrance. i don't remember where I heard that- look at my posts from 5-6 years ago and I might have put that, i'm not going to look. I does sit back by itself and they don't go out of their way to make it look nice.

I'm not lending credibility to the original post of this thread- but I think that it does fall in line with what has to be brewing. Whether or not those conversations took place or not is irrelevant... any park-going patron knows that something is going to happen to SOB sooner or later and that its removal will likely be coupled with some broader project in the area. Back in May, while in AZ, I watched from afar as a CF entourage looked over SOB in plain view of anyone walking by making hand gestures. then as they walked by I overheard "we have several months before that announcement will be made." They could have been referring to announcing that they were going to fix pot holes in the parking lot for all I know- but if I were a betting man I would bank on an announcement regarding AZ coming- and it will probably include information on the future of a certain 200 foot wooden structure.

No idea if an announcement would be made about SOB in the comming months, and I have no idea what Cedar Fairs typical time of official announcment for new attractions are, but it makes sense to me that you would typically announce any large new attraction for a park around August to help generate season pass renewals as people start to make their last visit to the park for the season. it also gives the family that only makes 1 or two trips a year something to be excited about and put another trip to the park on their calender for next year.

Then on top of that, as has been noted by many, Action Zone is the last area of the park that hasn't received a significant facelift/improvement in the park. its obviously due, so any annoucnement this summer/fall is likely going to impact that part of the park.

I've mentioned by RC3 (ie perhaps unrealistic) plans for Action Zone before, including taking out Timberwolf, SOB, the go karts and amazon falls. Adding in some sort of upcharge zipline and rock climbing wall, a new large flat, and several coasters to the area utilizing the land currently around Action Zone, and behind SOB. Obviously it couldn't all be accomplished in 1 (or even 5 seasons), but I'd love to sit in on a long term planning meeting to get a feel for all the ideas they have going forward for the next 10+ years.

Hey I wear a black polo with some company's name on it.

And I am in mexico where it is cooler than the midwest right now.

Does that mean I know inside information on Six Flags Mexico?

It would be nice to have an overhaul of Action Zone but this has been talked about for years just like Son of Beast.

And just to introduce myself, I am "TheBEASTunchained" and I have rode The Beast over 1000 times in the last 5 years and I am glad to finally

be a member of KIC!!

I read over the forums here quite often but Ive just never got around to becoming a member.

Really? An inverting Delirium? Unpopular ride through the Congo? Pah! I went on a weekday and it had a line throughout most of the day. And how exactly is a gyro drop, an inverting roller coaster, a swinging roller coaster, and a thrilling pendulum outdated?

It would be nice to have an overhaul of Action Zone but this has been talked about for years just like Son of Beast.

And just to introduce myself, I am "TheBEASTunchained" and I have rode The Beast over 1000 times in the last 5 years and I am glad to finally

be a member of KIC!!

I read over the forums here quite often but Ive just never got around to becoming a member.

Welcome to KIC, enjoy your stay!