What is good theming?

KIfan1980

Lately there have been lots of topics and discussions about theme - of individual rides, of areas of a park, of theme v amusement for a total park.

My question is - for you, what would be good theming?

My answer: I like an area of a park to be themed: buildings, food, music - with rides lightly themed to fit in (for example King Cobra in the then animal/safari area)

I have very little need/interest in highly themed individual rides.

• Like 2

I consider theme something that really sets the place. For example, Port of Entry at IOA, perfect theme. I needs to be immersive (sp?), to make you really question if you are in Florida/Ohio/US.

I was going to say the same thing but with The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. It looks so realistic and amazing. You can't even see the rest of the park!

^In regard to Hogwarts, I loved how you know that the castle is relatively small in terms of scale, but you still are tricked into believing it is a full scale replica of Hogwarts, just on a hill (perspective). IoA does an incredible job with everything they do, and I can't believe it took me so long to experience it!

I agree with LongliveKingsCobra, the ride and/or area has to make me feel as though I am in that setting, or else it just doesn't work. Flight of Fear does an ok job with the theming, they even have real government equipment (computers, monitors, etc!)! I just wish they cleaned the mirror. A LOT.

Good theming to me is something that makes you feel like you've walked into a whole new world and not just an amusement park. Take places like Busch Gardens, Universal, and Disney for an example. Or even Kings Island in it's earlier years. I tend to have a lot more fun at parks with great theming, good shows, and family friendly experiences than I do at parks with just tall coasters and concrete. (One reason why I don't want a giga coaster at Kings Island.) I love going to parks with a lot of coasters, but I'd still take a nicely themed ride over a tall,fast ride placed in a parking lot.

• Like 1

theme the heck out of everything! instead of mickey heads in the reasurants, make them effiel towers with KI in the middle of them.The Beast and possibly SOB (if reopened) have what looks like a shadow of something big running around in the woods get some trees to shake back and forth and in the tunnel have something roar at you in thier and when you get back to the brake run right before the station thier is a gaint beast. up-scale BLSC with all new state or the art technology. transfrom the dino walkthough into a FREE water ride or like a safri ride were at the end you get chased by a t-rex. a movie light laser firework show all combine for a great end of the night show. Boo's blaster's back to Phantom Theater and Snoopy to Nick again. future attractions will kick it up a noch by trying to rivail with uinversal and Diseny.

• Like 1

What purpose does Kings Island have to compete with parks like Universal or Disney? Completely seperate markets.

Also, the concrete in the 2nd tunnel of The Beast sounds like a beast roar, so why play a useless sound that will be drowned out by riders' screams and the roaring of the train in the concrete?

Good theming to me is something that makes you feel like you've walked into a whole new world and not just an amusement park. Take places like Busch Gardens, Universal, and Disney for an example. Or even Kings Island in it's earlier years. I tend to have a lot more fun at parks with great theming, good shows, and family friendly experiences than I do at parks with just tall coasters and concrete. (One reason why I don't want a giga coaster at Kings Island.) I love going to parks with a lot of coasters, but I'd still take a nicely themed ride over a tall,fast ride placed in a parking lot.

Hear, hear!

Good theming is not just about an immersive experience, it's about creating a reality that is so believable that it defines your basic perception of what is real at the time you experience it. Good theming falls along the lines of a concept known as "hyperreality." Parks in the realm of Disney and Universal tend to create an atmosphere that is so realistic, you believe it. All of it. There are many factors that play into this concept, including technology, though at its core, good theming simply transports you elsewhere. The story isn't just told; you literally walk into it.

I have memories of my first trip to KI, and the HB kiddy part. The street lights were flowers, and the benches had the characters faces on them, the rides were geared to the characters. That was great theming. I still have the mental picture of my visit.

To me, theming is a decorated area, to stand for some sort of time period/area/place, making you feel like you are at that time period/area/place. A good place with great theming would probably be any Disney park, Universal, and any sort of Paramount park (pre-CF era KI). I could expand more, but Fusion got the definition on the dot.

I do not need over the top individual ride theming either. I prefer an area themed and the rides to appear to fit into that area, even if it only means that the paint scheme & the name "fits".

I also like it VERY much when the music in each area is distinctive...it sets the mood. :)

• Like 2

forgive me for saying this but more of the older genaration is not for change/technology. an old man might ask what is texting? he dosen't even know or care about it but a young kid will go insane if they don't get texting. simalr rules aply here. some people want the park more like it's earley days, some like it the way it is and some want something competely new and differnt. i fall into competely new and differnt. i feel like every CF park is growing closer and closer ex. WS. i want a competely differnt experince at each park i vist not something that is simalr. anyone else think it is time to turn over the rock?

I agree with a lot of what is being said here. One of the most incredible themes I've seen just opened up. Cars land at DCA looks absolutely amazing, especially at night:

http://thedisneyblog...in-the-details/

I just saw behind the scenes of Cars Land on TV last week during the airing of "Cars". I was completely blown away by the detail that was put into this! It looked just like Radiator Springs and the rides even fit within the theme, the didn't feel separated or like they were an afterthought. I love how Disney incorporates all the elements into their park and that makes for amazing theming. I really wish KI would do something like this. Not necessarily as detailed as Cars Land, but something that brings the space together so it's not just a collection of stand-alone, individual rides.

forgive me for saying this but more of the older genaration is not for change/technology. an old man might ask what is texting? he dosen't even know or care about it but a young kid will go insane if they don't get texting. simalr rules aply here. some people want the park more like it's earley days, some like it the way it is and some want something competely new and differnt. i fall into competely new and differnt. i feel like every CF park is growing closer and closer ex. WS. i want a completely different experience at each park i visit not something that is similar. anyone else think it is time to turn over the rock?

Compared to a majority of the Disney Parks, Cedar Fair's (and even the former Paramount's) ride cloning is miniscule. Minus Kings Island and Kings Dominion (with the Eiffel Tower & International Street), at least Cedar Fair doesn't copy entire theme parks and paste them into different locations across the country. Need I remind you of the five Magic Kingdoms - Disneyland, Magic Kingdom, Disneyland Paris, Tokyo Disneyland, Hong Kong Disneyland - and the multitudes of cloned attractions, such as, but not limited to, it's a small world, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Tower of Terror, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, etc?

That's who i think is talking about to. can't wait to see what this CEO has to offer! Might turn into a family park and not a teeny bopper park! as long as we get a ride like Test Track and Tower of Terror i will be happy and SOB to come back from it's coma.

I actually think of Kings Island as a family park. And just a heads up, you won't see anything like Test Track and Tower of Terror. As awesome as it would be, I just don't see it happening.

forgive me for saying this but more of the older genaration is not for change/technology. an old man might ask what is texting? he dosen't even know or care about it but a young kid will go insane if they don't get texting. simalr rules aply here. some people want the park more like it's earley days, some like it the way it is and some want something competely new and differnt. i fall into competely new and differnt. i feel like every CF park is growing closer and closer ex. WS. i want a completely different experience at each park i visit not something that is similar. anyone else think it is time to turn over the rock?

Compared to a majority of the Disney Parks, Cedar Fair's (and even the former Paramount's) ride cloning is miniscule. Minus Kings Island and Kings Dominion (with the Eiffel Tower & International Street), at least Cedar Fair doesn't copy entire theme parks and paste them into different locations across the country. Need I remind you of the five Magic Kingdoms - Disneyland, Magic Kingdom, Disneyland Paris, Tokyo Disneyland, Hong Kong Disneyland - and the multitudes of cloned attractions, such as, but not limited to, it's a small world, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Tower of Terror, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, etc?

I don't mind "cloned" parks if they're spread out all over the world. I think it's nice that Disney brings their attraction to people all over the world. It lets more people be able to experience their amazing rides! I'm hoping that Disney will eventually bring Cars Land to Florida because I doubt I'll ever make it out to California.