Silver Dollar City 2013 Coaster

A picture is up on ACE's facebook page of the next few track pieces/supports...it's not a zero-g roll...and it may or may not be an inversion. IMO, from that photo it does appear to be completely upside briefly.

Pic: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151884726330576&set=a.10151884701990576.872593.125717780575&type=3&permPage=1

^ The downside, however, is that it's still not finished.

Anyway, kinda resembles a cross between both a zero-g roll and a Stengel Dive. This takes the extreme overbanks from The Voyage and (almost completely) turns it on its head.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm very hesitant to call this ride a wooden coaster, and it's pretty much because the entirety of the material that actually contacts the wheels and directs the train is steel.

For you folks saying (or about to say) that wooden coasters normally contact steel only: Topper track's different from the steel laminate on normal wooden coasters. Typical wooden coasters use a strip of metal mounted on a couple wide wooden boards, and the boards themselves are what give the track strength. Even if it may not be its primary purpose (and I don't know what the specific primary purpose of the steel laminate is, so this is conjecture-ish), the steel does keep the wheels of the train from presumably shredding the wood. The steel acts as a protection for the track, but it's not the track--no more than you'd say the oil on a bowling lane is the bowling lane. The top few layers on a wooden coaster are what directly influence the motion of the train, and, for me, that's what's determining the classification of this ride.

So, in my opinion, topper track is a very convincing steel substitute for wooden coaster track, but it's still steel. This ride's as much of a steel coaster as Adventure Express and Gemini. When used on specific trouble spots on rides (like the Silverwoodies or Rattler), it's one thing, but building an entire ride where the primary component of the track is steel makes it a steel coaster to me.

• Like 2