Silver Dollar City 2013 Coaster

IMO if the supporting structure is made of wood, then it is a wood coaster. Case closed. If the supporting structure was steel with a wood track (hypothetically speaking) I would consider it a Steel coaster.

Folks, Adventure Express is now a wooden roller coaster!

• Like 2

IMO if the supporting structure is made of wood, then it is a wood coaster. Case closed. If the supporting structure was steel with a wood track (hypothetically speaking) I would consider it a Steel coaster.

Folks, Adventure Express is now a wooden roller coaster!

I'm guessing if you asked the average person attending King's Island if Adventure Express was a wooden coaster or a steel coaster, you'd get 90% or higher tell you that its a wooden coaster. Few attendees actually care what any ride is classified as, only if they find it fun to ride upon.

• Like 5

What is this King's Island place, It's Kings Island, drives me nuts when people put the 's in Kings, and this is coming from a fan site, the people who should know how to spell it. Sorry just ranting.

I consider Adventure Express a steel coaster, and rides like the Voyage a wooden coaster.

• Like 2

The GP would mostly think of Gemini as a wood coaster. I mean to just look at it you'd say its wood.

I'm going by what Hammbone is going by.

And, it's *their. Sorry. I hate when people mess up the "there"'s and "to"'s!

EDIT:

I would say whatever the train rides on, if it's a wooden track then it's wooden, if it's a steel track it's steel.

The track sits upon the support structure, no? If it is so, I think the structure accounts for what it should be called.

If it doesn't, well, I'd like you to explain that to me! :)

So by default, Voyage is steel, Adventure Express is wooden, and the New Texas Giant is a wooden roller coaster...ok.

Basically judging them by there supports?

♫No matter wooden or steel

Flying or suspended style

You're on the right track baby

You were built to be wild♫

• Like 1

I think (at least for enthusiasts) it's all about the ride experience which is determined more by what type of track the train rides on than the structure. Ignoring the structure, could you really imagine riding Gemini or AE and thinking that are traditional wooden coasters. It's all about trying to classify an experience.

Topper track is just another evolution in the science/art of building coasters and confuses the classification issue. It's truly not wood or steel but a hybridized way of building a coaster.

Edit: I really wanted to say about Joncars pic., On topper track, they have the train wheels roll over bolts to simulate that old time wood coaster roughness :)

So, El Toro FEELS much more like steel than wood. A well running John Allen, before Dinn got hold of it, could glide and feel much like steel. (Racer was like this when it opened).

And the cars do not run over bolts on Topper Track. The Georgia Cyclone is smooth as glass in the Topper Track sections. The major purposes of Topper Track are to improve the ride experience while reducing maintenance. Running over bolts on purpose to roughen up the ride would greatly detract from both goals.