Beast Incident 06-26-2012. Height Requirement Issue?

Cody

Did anyone catch the accident that happened on The Beast today(6-26)?

Little guy, about 6-7 years of age came off the ride with a bloody mouth/nose and bloody shirt.

Felt sorry for him, apparently on the 360, his nose smacked against the restraint causing his nose to gush blood.

You guys feel the height requirement was an issue?(this kid was short) Discuss.

(FYI, The Beast opened 20minutes later after the incident)

It reminds me of the time I was stupid enough to look back at my friend in the car behind me on the helix, and I slammed my mouth into the seat.

But this sounds worse...like dudecoasterman said, I really hope this doesn't make him afraid of coasters! These things don't happen often, someone needs to reassure him!

I'm sure he was tall enough to ride. The ride ops wouldn't (purposely) let him on if he wasn't. He probably just bent forward or something? I don't think his height would be the issue though, since countless other people just meeting the height requirement have been on, and you don't hear about this happening too often.

On a side note, my sister and I were riding Adventure Express one time and we had our hands up, and through one of the turns her hand bumped my nose, not even hard at all, and it started bleeding lol. They had to shut down the ride and spray down the train

I say they shut it down like they did to SOB and not open it for a while and give a broken record answer for if it will ever reopen.

Father like Son except vise versa.

SOB has had problems for years. The Beast hasn't. Not sure why people won't let the SOB issue go anymore.

• Like 1

News flash folks - sometimes rides go down, sometimes people bang something and bleed on rides, sometimes people throw up on rides, sometimes people grey out on rides.

Let's not get too worked up about it - I felt perfectly comfortable letting my 48", 6 year old ride The Beast last night, even after he complained of a rough ride earlier in the day because it is a safe and fun ride for him.

No he is not the kid in the OP.

On a side note, my sister and I were riding Adventure Express one time and we had our hands up, and through one of the turns her hand bumped my nose, not even hard at all, and it started bleeding lol. They had to shut down the ride and spray down the train

You should have sued your sister. I bet she did it on purpose. :D

I say they shut it down like they did to SOB and not open it for a while and give a broken record answer for if it will ever reopen.

Father like Son except vise versa.

Another apples & oranges comparison?

First Universal & KI, now SoB & Beast?

2o6h.jpg

That is awesome

I am sure that they are investigating what caused the boy's injury-I think we should wait for the investigation to be completed before speculating that the ride caused the injury.

What exactly are you waiting on, a press release?

The ride would not have opened 20 minutes later without them knowing what had happened. Chances are most of the delay was waiting for first aid to come out and clean the blood out of the train.

I think some are making this a bigger issue than it actually is.

This is not an un-heard-of incident on Beast.

I, as a former Beast ride Op, personally saw it happen a number of times. More than likely the kid didn't "lean" with the 360, rather against it, and he face planted on the front side of the car. That, incidentally, is why there are small pads on that part of the train behind each seat.

208857_10151172281698368_2020691827_n.jpg

It had nothing to do with the kid not being measured, or not being tall enough. It has everything to do with the kid simply not knowing to avoid leaning toward the side of the car.

Shaggy

• Like 2

Having to ride in a certain position to avoid injury = having to ride defensively. Even if said position is the traditional "head back, facing forward, and holding onto lap bar".

^But there's also the policy of 'ride at your own risk'

Lawyers quite clearly don't care about that. If they did, people wouldn't sue because they got injured on a roller coaster (see: Son of Beast).

EDIT:

I've broken my nose twice, once on Vortex, another time on White Water Canyon.

How the hell do you break your nose on WWC?!?

Edited by jcgoble3

Having to ride in a certain position to avoid injury = having to ride defensively. Even if said position is the traditional "head back, facing forward, and holding onto lap bar".

Per KI Safety Guide:

• Face forward and remain seated in an upright position

with your back and shoulders against the seat back and

hold on until the ride comes to a complete stop.

http://www.visitkingsisland.com/images/uploads/file/2011_Riders_Safety_Guide.pdf

^So you're saying that he was injured because he didn't know to ride defensively? Unfortunately, in this day and age, lawyers could have a field day with that!

^So you're trying to put me on the defensive?

Ok then, I'll bite. I didn't say that. I was simply speculating of what *likely* happened since I saw it happen myself from time to time while working on Beast crew.

I had the same thing happen to me 30 years ago on the long-defunct Glissade coaster at BGW prior to your even being born. http://www.rcdb.com/1116.htm?p=23320

I bent down and to the right when the coaster made a hairpin turn to the left - hitting my head on the side rail of the car in the process. What I recall was that my embarassment was far worse than my injury. It wasn't my fault, nor was it his, nor was it the park's... it was simply an unfortunate accident. I feel bad for the kid.