Bad Time To Ride Vortex

xXDrummerKiDXx

^I firmly believe that Flight of Fear's corkscrew is slower than that of Kings Island's Vortex. Vortex @ Kings Island should have opened with lap bars instead of OTSR's. On a side note, I think that Flight of Fear just gets going again after the MCBR right as the final brakes hit. I think that's just a shame.

• Like 1

You mean you wouldn't fall out during the corkscrew? (I'm seriously asking)

Do you fall out on Flight of Fear?

But that's a lot faster...with the hangtime on Vortex it feels like you'd easily fall out.

Sometimes there are park maps, coins or other debris on the floors of Vortex trains. Each of those items survived at least one trip on the ride without restraints and did not fall out.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I did think I was going to die once on Vortex. We were going up the lift hill when all the sudden my shoulder restraint popped up. This was in the days before seat belts. I kept pulling it down and it kept going back up! I have to admit I was scared and so were the people around me. As we got almost to the top it finally locked back down. It scared me for sure!

We were going up the lift hill when all the sudden my shoulder restraint popped up. This was in the days before seat belts. I kept pulling it down and it kept going back up! I have to admit I was scared and so were the people around me. As we got almost to the top it finally locked back down. It scared me for sure!

^I can't believe that actually happened to you!! I would actually be nervous if it happened to me....but now it's not likely. :)

EDIT: oops double post sorry I thought my first one disappeared cause I clicked the Back button on my browser.

Edited by VortexBFForever

I did think I was going to die once on Vortex. We were going up the lift hill when all the sudden my shoulder restraint popped up. This was in the days before seat belts. I kept pulling it down and it kept going back up! I have to admit I was scared and so were the people around me. As we got almost to the top it finally locked back down. It scared me for sure!

Holy crap! I probably would've wet myself! :o

I rode the back seat on Vortex yesterday- it was the roughest ride on Vortex I've ever had. maybe my last- it really wasn't that enjoyable. As I'm getting older the quick turns get me more disoriented than I used to- which I can handle, but getting beat up in the process- not going there.

Makes one wonder how many more years are left on The Vortex tank. Steel coasters don't last as long as wooden ones. And there's usually people on it, but seldom a line. I'm guessing that it's maintenance is pretty decent, but wonder how much irritation it would take for KI to wind it down.

• Like 3

I rode the back seat on Vortex yesterday- it was the roughest ride on Vortex I've ever had. maybe my last- it really wasn't that enjoyable. As I'm getting older the quick turns get me more disoriented than I used to- which I can handle, but getting beat up in the process- not going there.

Makes one wonder how many more years are left on The Vortex tank. Steel coasters don't last as long as wooden ones. And there's usually people on it, but seldom a line. I'm guessing that it's maintenance is pretty decent, but wonder how much irritation it would take for KI to wind it down.

I rode the very front seat a few weeks ago and it beat the crap out of me! I was seriously messed up the rest of the night. I had to walk over to first aid and get some ibuprofen for my head before I could start to enjoy myself again. Not sure if it was the seat I was in, or if it's just the ride (or myself) getting old, but dang did it hurt!

• Like 1

So my question(s) is have you ever felt like you were gonna die(experience my problems) on The Vortex? Have you ever ridden it at night by yourself?

Yes - well, my son and I... a few years ago we had Vortex all to ourselves at night. We had ridden roller coasters before by ourselves, but I fully agree there is something unique about riding Vortex at night by yourself that adds a bit of psychological thrill to it.

• Like 1

I rode the very front seat a few weeks ago and it beat the crap out of me! I was seriously messed up the rest of the night. I had to walk over to first aid and get some ibuprofen for my head before I could start to enjoy myself again. Not sure if it was the seat I was in, or if it's just the ride (or myself) getting old, but dang did it hurt!

I've been wondering...I don't see how Vortex hurts, even in the front or back seats! I could ride ANYWHERE on the train and not have a problem with it. B) It's a guess, but maybe you're tensing up too much during the ride. Back in '08 I was told that you should try to relax during the ride, because if you tense up, you will feel even worse. Also, focus on the advantages of the ride, like hang time during the corkscrews or savoring the positive G's of those loops.

Just a thought. :) Unless it's the ride itself, which I kinda doubt it is. ;)

• Like 1

Um... Lol No.

• Like 1

Um... Lol No.

No what?

You rode in the back seat.. Of Vortex... At Kings Island. What were you realistically expecting? The smoothest ride in the world? If you want to ride a great and smooth ride on Vortex, ride 5-1.

Sitting in the back on Vortex and complaining you had a rough ride is just plain stupid.

• Like 2