Bad Time To Ride Vortex

xXDrummerKiDXx

Vortex is not rough, yes it's an Arrow Coaster, and yes maybe some of the transitions are not the best, but I have never felt like I have been beat up after a ride on Vortex.

Right up your alley. I ALWAYS am laughing and smiling after each ride on it. I just love every sight, sound, experience and even the smell of the lift chain grease on Vortex. Needless to say, I just love Arrows. :wub:

• Like 1

It just hurts your head, that's really it. I love the ride. Not as rough as wooden coasters.

You really need to ride El Toro.

Yes, I've heard about El Toro. Someday I really wish I could ride it, just to ride a smooth wooden coaster...oh, and ride Kingda Ka!

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I would have loved that! I hate that stupid brake run right before the corkscrew.

Yes! I would have LOVED to ride Vortex by myself!

My, how times have changed. The headache Vortex gives me now isn't worth it anymore.

For those who can tolerate it, ride on. :) As for me, I will probably watch from the sideline from now on. :P

(Thanks to Terpy for bringing this post to my attention by "liking" it. :))

• Like 1

I enjoy Vortex since I started re-riding this year.  No headaches, but I get some nausea and sometimes my shoulders hurt.  It is a one or two ride per visit limit for me.  However, since I started re-riding it, I have come to love it...the sights, the sounds and the smells.  I really like the lift hill sounds.  Sounds like you are on a bizzaro woodie.

• Like 6

I'm in the minority for sure here, even MrsNC won't ride it often. But, I have redeveloped a true love for this coaster.  

It's well documented here that 5-1, or 7-1, give the best rides, and I agree. 5-1 is the smoothest, 7-1 is....awesome! At the risk of sounding repetitive in my reviews of this particular coaster, in the last 3 years it has become so much more re-rideable. To my knowledge, there have been no major changes to it, but it has been absolutely enjoyable for me. Even Mrs.NC got off after VortesBFF's 300'th ride, amazed that she was intact, though still claimed a slight headache. We did have to ride in 4-2 though, as 5-1 was occupied after we held 1-1 for said 300th rider. 

• Like 5

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the numbers refer to the car and row rather than the actual seats. For example, 7-2 stands for the 2nd row of seats (back row) in the 7th car. Again, these numbers do not take into account the actual seats (left/de-boarding or right/onboarding), but just rows and car number.

• Like 5

I would have loved that! I hate that stupid brake run right before the corkscrew.

Yes! I would have LOVED to ride Vortex by myself!

My, how times have changed. The headache Vortex gives me now isn't worth it anymore.

For those who can tolerate it, ride on. :) As for me, I will probably watch from the sideline from now on. :P

(Thanks to Terpy for bringing this post to my attention by "liking" it. :))

So sorry to hear that, jcgoble3! :(

But I'm sure it's worth it anytime a fellow rider celebrates a milestone. ;)

As for being the only one on Vortex, that's happened with me a few times this year and also in 2010. I LOVED. EVERY. MOMENT!!!!!!

• Like 5

I have, at various points, had zen rides on all of the Arrows at KI and a couple at CP (Mine Ride and Corkscrew, specifically). I enjoyed all of them. Except Mine Ride because, while that particular ride was no better or worse than any other ride on Mine Ride, I find Mine Ride in general to be about as interesting as a bucket of lukewarm dishwater.

In response to jtro223's post above, row 5 and row 7 are not what you want. When we say 5-1, we mean row 1 of car 5 (which would be row 9 overall on the train). Likewise, 7-1 would be row 1 of car 7, or row 13 overall on the train. I have never noticed a discernible difference in ride comfort with regards to sitting on load or unload side of the train. I am squarely in the 7-1 camp, I think it is the most thrilling and smooth seat on the train. Many here prefer 5-1. I've met some people who swear by 1-1. Given that there is not a universal consensus, I say try them all. Vortex offers different experiences in each row, so try them out and see if you like one better than the rest.

As another aside, in terms of ride comfort, I find 5-1 and 5-2 to be identical to one another, as are 7-1 and 7-2. However, for taller people, the back seats of a car have much less legroom and that is a problem for me. Don't know if it would be for you.

• Like 7

The only Arrow I've had a zen ride on is The Bat. That is also the only coaster I've noticed a severely great difference in which seat (left or right) you pick. The seat closest to the exit (left) gives a "normal" ride while the seat closest to where riders board (right) gives a crazier experience (especially in the back). Try it sometime!   :D

• Like 5

As another aside, in terms of ride comfort, I find 5-1 and 5-2 to be identical to one another, as are 7-1 and 7-2. However, for taller people, the back seats of a car have much less legroom and that is a problem for me. Don't know if it would be for you.

If you are short like me (I'm 5'2"), I discovered that the back seats of The Vortex cars work better. I can plant my feet on the floor just under the front seat and brace myself so my head and ears aren't hitting the OTS. It allows me to ride without too much pain for my 1-2 rides a season.

• Like 4

I prefer to keep it simple, the backseat on provides the best thrills on most coasters, while the front is more scenic. Definitely love the airtime you get on Vortex on the first drop in the backseat.

This is the best drop in the whole park imo. Congo Falls is pretty good too, but really underrated. 

• Like 2

Suggestion to those around to 5'5 to 6'0 range, sit in the front of any car (no matter what) and press you foot up against the front of it (INSIDE obviously.) and you should be able to lift your self up, Its minimal headbanging (Not by a lot, but it'll help your head live another day, and your neck doesn't take the beating a whole lot if you are paying attention. I don't even have fun on Vortex, I pay attention to the ride more than I do actually enjoy it.

Yes, the possibility of whiplash is higher, but it has never occurred to me yet, so I will continue to do this to save my self a headache later. 

1. No rider who meets the height requirements should have to actively employ defensive techniques to ride a coaster. If they do, then the design of the coaster is inherently flawed, and lawyers would probably have a field day if a rider was injured as a result of that flaw.

I don't even have fun on Vortex, I pay attention to the ride more than I do actually enjoy it.

Another reason for me to retire from riding Vortex. If you're not enjoying it, then why are you bothering to ride it in the first place?

• Like 3

Another reason for me to retire from riding Vortex. If you're not enjoying it, then why are you bothering to ride it in the first place?

Why, to celebrate a friend's mi-

Okay, I'll stop now. :P

Plus, I fully understand your reasoning. Not everyone enjoys a coaster like Vortex, so I obviously don't expect everyone to love it. You can APPRECIATE others' love for it even if you don't SHARE it! :)

• Like 6

Why, to celebrate a friend's mi-

Okay, I'll stop now. :P

That was what made the last train of the season enjoyable for me. ;)

• Like 4

It's the only ride in the park that can still get a little adrenaline pumping for me. Even though I know it is perfectly safe, there is something about its construction looking like an Erector set that makes it feel a touch dangerous.

The last time I rode it (row 13) I got through it without being "punched" even once. I was pleasantly surprised. There is one spot where I almost always get clocked in the jaw by the restraints, even in that row.

• Like 5