Memories of Hanna-Barbera Land

Voicetek

I started going to Kings Island back in the early 80's, probably around 82. My earliest memory from Hanna-Barbera Land was the old Enchanted Voyage ride before it was the Smurfs. What are some of your memories of Hanna-Barbera Land? What rides/attractions were your favorites? If you have photos, feel free to share those too!

• Like 1

One time I was in Hanna-Barbera land, standing to pose with a mascot, I think it was Cindy Bear. Then Captain Caveman came along and bumped into her and she kind of pushed him back. Then they started to make "pfft" sounds (like blowing a raspberry) at each other, and then finally, Cindy Bear put her face right on Captain Caveman's nose, paused, and went "pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffftttttt" for a really long time. It was hilarious. But I think you kinda had to be there for it. :lol: I have a picture of the two of them somewhere, maybe I'll scan it sometime.

I also liked the elephant fountain. And wasn't there a place in Hanna Barbera land where you could sit and eat with a bunch of vines overhead? I may be thinking of the Columbus Zoo though.

• Like 1

Wow... I have so many vivid memories of the original HB land from back in the day...

My most favorite is the "Puppet Tree" which I wish I could go back in time to see again. But I also recall fondly...

The Beastie - before it was The Beastie. It was the Scooby Doo Coaster and had manual hand brakes and was painted yellow.

The Balloon Girls that frequented the area in ruffly bright colored dresses holding huge bunches of balloons with the HB characters and KI logo on them.

The UNCOVERED and miserably hot loading platform and queue for Enchanted Voyage.

Winsome Witches Cauldrons - the original multi colors on the cauldrons that were later painted black with flames and were terribly hot to sit on in the summer!

The House of Cards

Sunshine Turnpike and the distinct gas/oil smell those cars had.

The "Stone" Flintstone benches

The Flintmobile replica

The Rainbow arch entrance to "The Happy Land of Hanna Barbera."

The large "tarp" that covered a few of the smaller round-about rides.

and...

oh I'll let a few others chime in...

• Like 9

I also liked the elephant fountain. And wasn't there a place in Hanna Barbera land where you could sit and eat with a bunch of vines overhead? I may be thinking of the Columbus Zoo though.

I liked the elephant too! I would stand there as a kid and wait for it to blow water out of it's trunk and try to get splashed a little. It's cool that he sits out by Jungle Jim's now so I can still see him! And yes, there was a place where you could sit under vines. It was a tunnel that connected 2 of the walk ways and it was right over by the entrance to Hanna-Barbera Land. It would bring you out by the log flume over in River Town. I loved walking through there. It's a shame it's gone!

• Like 1

Wow... I have so many vivid memories of the original HB land from back in the day...

My most favorite is the "Puppet Tree" which I wish I could go back in time to see again. But I also recall fondly...

The Beastie - before it was The Beastie. It was the Scooby Doo Coaster and had manual hand brakes and was painted yellow.

The Balloon Girls that frequented the area in ruffly bright colored dresses holding huge bunches of balloons with the HB characters and KI logo on them.

The UNCOVERED and miserbaly hot loading platform and queue for Enchanted Voyage.

Winsome Witches Cauldrons - the original multi colors that were later painted black with flames.

The House of Cards

Sunshine Turnpike and the distinct gas/oil smell those cars had.

The "Stone" Flintstone benches

The Flintmobile replica

The Rainbow arch entrance to "The Happy Land of Hanna Barbera."

The large "tarp" that covered a few of the smaller round-about rides.

and...

oh I'll let a few others chime in...

Shaggy, what was the House of Cards exactly? I remember that there was some type of fun house. I was pretty young, but I seem to remember like slanted floors and crazy mirrors. Was that by chance the House of Cards? If not, what was it and does anyone remember the name of the fun house?

Not sure if "House of cards" was what it was called... but it was at least decorated to look like one. It wasn't very big... it was more of a decorator peice located beside the Puppet Tree and McScrappy's Farm. It did have some fun house mirrors in it and there was a "jungle gym" type attraction next to it with a Shaggy theme, I believe.

• Like 1

Not sure if "House of cards" was what it was called... but it was at least decorated to look like one. It wasn't very big... it was more of a decorator peice located between the Puppet Tree and McScrappy's Farm. It did have some fun house mirrors in it.

Yes that has to be what I'm remembering cause it was right around that area cause I remember McScrappy's Farm being close. Gosh I had forgotten all about that! Thanks for the reminder!

Like many others here, my favorite memory of HB Land is The Enchanted Voyage...I can still remember how (literally) cool it felt inside on a hot summer day. :)

I can still remember entering the building and seeing Gargamel to the right. The inside of that ride had a very distinctive smell to it also!

I remember the big slides..... those were a good time. I recently saw a post on here about a blue elephant fountain. Where was that at?

I'm trying to remember where exactly that elephant fountain was. It seems like it sat near some restrooms.

Like many others here, my favorite memory of HB Land is The Enchanted Voyage...I can still remember how (literally) cool it felt inside on a hot summer day. :)

I can still remember entering the building and seeing Gargamel to the right. The inside of that ride had a very distinctive smell to it also!

But do you remember the original EV before the Smurfs?

I personally like the original better.

• Like 3

But do you remember the original EV before the Smurfs?

I personally like the original better.

I do remember this! I have literally just a split-second memory of this left, but I'd be willing to bet this was one of my first rides ever at the park! Do you know the year it was removed?

The Blue Elephant fountain was in front of the restrooms in HB Land and adjacent to the landing of Scrappy's Slide. It was added when Scrappy's slide was installed.

You can see a glimpse of the pool it sat in to the far right of this picture.

ki87slide.jpg

One of my most fond memories of the Hanna Barbera would be The Beastie roller coaster, and or the baba louies buggies. I always remembered the Fred Flinstone and Yogi Bear statues at the enterance of Hanna Barbera.

I have a crazy story from Hanna-Barbera Land! My sister and I always took a ride on the Hanna-Barbera carousel when we visited. I was a Scooby-Doo fanatic so of course I always had to ride on the Scooby. She preferred Dino, so she always picked him. Well I remember my mom lifted my sister up on the Dino and made sure she was holding on and secure. My mom took a few steps forward to put me up on the Scooby (Scooby-Doo was located right in front of Dino) and while she was getting me on Scooby, my sister let go of the bar and she slipped off of Dino, fell off completely backwards, and totally hit the metal platform floor. I remember my mom freaking out and us having to leave the ride and take her to first aid. Crazy day!

Handcarts.

For employees, having to work that ride was the equivelent of being sent to hell.

Why is that? Did they have to push the kids around the track if they got stuck or something?

Yep, or if they tipped over, or the kid got off and ran around, or if the kid stopped turning the wheel... etc, etc, etc.

Handcarts.

For employees, having to work that ride was the equivelent of being sent to hell.

Why is that? Did they have to push the kids around the track if they got stuck or something?

Yep, or if they tipped over, or the kid got off and ran around, or if the kid stopped turning the wheel... etc, etc, etc.

Oh gosh I never thought of that. Yeah that wouldn't have been fun at all!

I was working third shift security in the park back then. Best memory I have is walking through the Enchanted Voyage doing the checks....I just knew one of them characters were going to come to life in the glow of my flashlight.

• Like 1

I was working third shift security in the park back then. Best memory I have is walking through the Enchanted Voyage doing the checks....I just knew one of them characters were going to come to life in the glow of my flashlight.

Wow that's awesome! I've always wanted to walk through a dark ride when it wasn't running. I'm assuming this was after it was shut down for the day?