Memories of Hanna-Barbera Land

Voicetek

It broke my heart the day that GatorGirl told me that Dora, Diego and Spongebob weren't real, and that they were just people inside costumes.

That is a sad day when it comes...it's also hard when you have a slightly older one that knows "the truth" and a younger one that doesn't. It's hard to keep the magic going as long as the older one enjoyed for the younger one because the older one wants to spill the beans. :(

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

My first trip to Kings Island was in 1984 or 5. A few things that I remember that first year that are no longer around in Hanna-Barbera Land is The Smurf Ride of course, the elephant fountain, they also had these little robotic animals that had some kind of controls on them to change direction, they didn't work too well, McScrappys Farm, and an interactive fountain that I cannot find any pictures of. It is one of those pay a quarter and shoot water at the target kind of thing. This had Huckleberry Hound, and Quickdraw, Yogi and others. It was taken out when Splat City came in.

• Like 5

Late 80s was my first trip to King's Island so some fo the stuff mentioned wasn't around at that point. But I remember the Smurf's ride, I loved riding it, was one fo my favorites. Was really sad to see it leave (though Phantom Theatre was one of my all time favorite rides there ever. So at least had a great replacement.)

I also remember riding the handcar train things. Have some photos of me on it somewhere I'll have to try to find.

Also miss The Beastie being The Beastie. I miss the haunted look and all the trees and stuff over by it. Plus was nice having a junior version of The Beast to ride until I was big enough to ride the real one. And I also greatly miss the vine tunnel as others have mentioned as well. That really needs to be brought back somewhere in the park.

Also loved riding the Character Carousel. I also rode on Jabberjaw

• Like 3

I remember the vine tunnel quite well. I always called it the choo choo train tunnel.cause mom and dad would always go through it when we were headed for the train. From what I was told one of my favorite rides growing up was the smurfs enchanted voyage although I don't remember it at all. I do however remember when phantom theater went in and being scared to death of it. I suppose it was because all of the ghosts we're blue and I thought they killed the smurfs

• Like 4

When I was little I used to love the Top Cat Coaster, and The Beastie. But for some reason when I rode Scoobys Ghoster Coaster, I always closed my eyes, but I loved the Rugrats Runaway Reptar coaster, I used to love waiting in line and watching the episode the ride is based on. The Wild Thornberries ride used to scare me a little because of the giant snake with steam coming out of its mouth. I always thought that the Character Carosoul was very unique, and I had never seen anything like it, I used to ride the Dino or the Scooby Doo, or the car with Fred Flintstone hanging on the back. The Nickelodeon Emergency Slime Shower, I enjoyed, because I remember my brother and I got splashed by the buckets. I also remember the Nickelodeon Store which my parents bought me a Hey Arnold! hat. I always thought that the Pixie and Dixe swings were a mini Zephyr, and I really liked that. I wish my parents took more pictures to conserve these memories.

• Like 1

Here are a few more photos of HB Land. My earliest memories are much like those already mentioned. I loved riding the Smurf ride and the witches cauldron. The Flintstones bumper cars were well themed and a great ride as well! Enjoy these pics :)

Oh wow. Those are terrific pictures! Those were my two favorite attractions as a kid.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

The Blue Elephant fountain was in front of the restrooms in HB Land and adjacent to the landing of Scrappy's Slide. It was added when Scrappy's slide was installed.

The elephant fountain was actually added before the slide was moved. The fountain made its debut in 1982 with the Hanna-Barbera Land expansion, the slide was relocated in 1986 with Coney Mall's expansion.

^1983?

1983 was first year for Smurfs.

http://www.KICentral...ry/timeline.php

I also vividly recall the signs all around Cincinnati promoting the addition of the Smurfs to HB land in 1983. "The Smurfs are here!" proclaimed at least half a dozen billboards.

The Smurfs made their debut at Kings Island in August of 1983 for a two week special preview, but Smurf's Enchanted Voyage didn't open until 1984.

My first trip to Kings Island was in 1984 or 5.  A few things that I remember that first year that are no longer around in Hanna-Barbera Land is The Smurf Ride of course, the elephant fountain, they also had these little robotic animals that had some kind of controls on them to change direction, they didn't work too well, McScrappys Farm, and an interactive fountain that I cannot find any pictures of.  It is one of those pay a quarter and shoot water at the target kind of thing.  This had Huckleberry Hound, and Quickdraw, Yogi and others.  It was taken out when Splat City came in.

Here's a picture of the fountain. It was added in 1982 as part of the Hanna-Barbera expansion.

8LN5nBn.png

It featured four control stations that allowed guests to alter water flow and control Yogi on a unicycle, Boo Boo climbing a tree, Scrappy Doo circling around on a carousel, and Jabberjaw plunking into the water. In the center was a jet stream of water that "supported" a ball. a jet stream of water that “supported” a ball.

• Like 7

My first trip to Kings Island was in 1984 or 5.  A few things that I remember that first year that are no longer around in Hanna-Barbera Land is The Smurf Ride of course, the elephant fountain, they also had these little robotic animals that had some kind of controls on them to change direction, they didn't work too well, McScrappys Farm, and an interactive fountain that I cannot find any pictures of.  It is one of those pay a quarter and shoot water at the target kind of thing.  This had Huckleberry Hound, and Quickdraw, Yogi and others.  It was taken out when Splat City came in.

Here's a picture of the fountain. It was added in 1982 as part of the Hanna-Barbera expansion.

8LN5nBn.png

It featured four control stations that allowed guests to alter water flow and control Yogi on a unicycle, Boo Boo climbing a tree, Scrappy Doo circling around on a carousel, and Jabberjaw plunking into the water. In the center was a jet stream of water that "supported" a ball. a jet stream of water that “supported” a ball.

Holy crap I remember this!  I honestly had forgotten all about this thing until just now when I saw your picture.  This was something I used to do all the time at the park when I was younger!  Wow...thanks for the picture and letting me remember a great memory from that time period at the park!

• Like 5

^ I used a Wally Gator one for years but decided to change it up.  I originally wanted to be incognito on this site, and was for a few years, but once I started to meet people from here and working Haunt, I decided to start using pictures of myself too.  I'll still use Wally from time to time, just not constantly like I did when I first joined.

• Like 4