New Giga what?

xXDrummerKiDXx

the era of giga coasters... that ship has sailed; as has rumors about them.

Is there an end to Giga coasters? Why would that statement be true?

So, how many giga coasters reside in the U.S.? Have we got bored with them? Not me.

Inverted or stand-up coasters maybe, but I do not believe Giga coasters are at the end of an era.

I think he is referring more to the change in management and their focus on family attractions, rather than saying that there will never be another giga coaster. Ouimet has stated repeatedly that he wants to focus on families. I would expect to see more family coasters, dark rides, water rides, water park expansions, etc. over shiny new giga coasters. That being said, the only publicly confirmed new rides for next year are both coasters, the new GCI at California's Great America and Cedar Point's wing rider. I would expect those to be the two biggest projects next year as far as thrill rides go.

• Like 1

Speak up? I really think it follows his direction perfectly fine. In the next 5 years Cedar Point will be making some significant additions to the "family" market (not Camp Snoopy-esque kiddie rides), but Ouimet has also been perfectly clear in all his discussions that simply because the focus is going to placed more heavily on families, it does not mean Cedar Point is going to stop adding world-class thrill rides, including collosal coasters; that's Cedar Point's brand.

Think of it this way. Right now, the balance is overwhelmingly tilted in one direction: extreme thrill, with family rides virtually on life support. I would imagine that by 2020, that balance will be corrected, but not in the absence of any new coasters/thrill rides. From what I have heard from casual conversations with John H., however, expect another gap like the one from Maverick until now to be the new "normal". Cedar Point fans, up until Maverick, we're expecting, and for good reason, a new coaster at least every other year. That pace is what will be different; not all from Ouimet, but also since Cedar Point is a "mature" park with little need to add huge rides every year now.

A quick review for the 15 most recent people to sign up for an account here (and anyone who comes after), according to my own opinions on the topics and the terms of use for this site:

• You have to have to be able to name a source if you claim inside information or claim to know the future plans of a publicly traded company... But even then, be aware that ride workers, concession workers, and your friend's friends probably don't know anything about the multi-million dollar plans for the park / company. Only a select few people are actually aware of what choices the company has yet to announce, and those select view value their jobs and positions of prestige enough to not say more than they should.

• You can't have a post with just one word - it adds nothing to the discussion.

• The "Edit" button in the lower right-hand corner of your post allows you to go back and add any new comments you think of, which is why "double posting" isn't supposed to happen. Just click edit, add what you need to, and then move on!

• Bolding things unnecessarily, leaving the caps lock on, avoiding capitalization and punctuation, etc. are not ways to present your opinions or to gain respect. It's against the terms of use that we all agreed to when we signed up to "shout," which, electronically, means obnoxious bolding or capitalization.

• If you read it on the park's Facebook or heard it from a friend of a friend whose dad built Diamondback, it's best to not repeat it here, because it's probably not true and it only serves to get everyone worked up. Same goes for hearing it from "the suits" or through an electronic communication with the park that you refuse to post here.

• No decision has been made concerning the fate of Son of Beast, unless you believe one has that they're not ready to share. Either way, cool it?!

Just trying to make my experience and yours better! Together we can have an informed community with respect and knowledge-backed opinions aplenty!

• Like 5

Thanks GYK,

I do, however want to share what I learned after a conversation I had with a suit (specifically Greg S.) during my last visit to the park. It began when I saw Greg and two others slide up the exit for a ride on Beast at 9:30pm. I was waiting for my boys - so I nodded my head and said hi, he nodded back I think. Then, after the fireworks, we watched the 10 pm Hot Summer Nights show and sure enough, the same 3 suits were there watching next to us. During the show, several other suits showed up. Things I overheard included:

- "He's a good singer"

- Something about "selling cotton candy" at which point someone went and talked to the cotton candy salesperson

- "Good crowd"

After the show, I stopped Greg and we had a quick conversation. He asked me and my boys how our day was, I thanked him for what he and his team is doing saying I thought the park was doing well this year, he wished us well and thanked us for visiting, we shook hands, and we went on our way to the exit.

I guess, this is what I expected as a guest interacting with the park GM ;)

What I learned, he is a nice guy.

• Like 2

So we know that Kings Island probably won't be getting a giga any time soon, and people here say it'll look awkward in the skyline to have something taller than the Eiffel Tower. Correct? Well, how does Kings Dominion have a giga coaster, a Drop Tower, a WindSeeker, and an Eiffel Tower, without it looking odd?

In my opinion, a giga can work, so long as it does not overpower the Tower (like Intimidator 305)