New Giga what?

xXDrummerKiDXx

No its not. It has the same design as a hyper coaster. There is a difference in track design. Giga coasters have like a triangle shaped track while hyper coasters don't. For example look at Millenium Force then Look at Leviathan.

Bwaa haaa haaa haaa. ROFL!!!

I would love a new giga but i have a soft spot for flightdeck. I think they would have plenty of room for a giga if they were to remove SoB, and if they do need to remove a ride that is completly functional ride, i'd vote for AE.

Remove Adventure Express? Are you serious? Heck no! That ride is a classic and is great for families! Son of Beast..yes, Adventure Express...NO!

• Like 1

Son of Beast? NO! (Re-open please?)

Adventure Express? Ehh, Nahhhh. Although it IS boring, it's for families and people who don't enjoy roller coasters AS much

Top Gun? YES!! This thing is a peice of crap. It isn't the WORST ride, but the walk to get there is longer than the ride. No one rides it.

And if you think about it, if CF decides to fix and run Son of Beast, it's going to draw a bigger line than most rides out there, especially Top Gun/Flight Deck, Adventure Express and correct me if I'm wrong, but Vortex as well.

And if you think about it, if CF decides to fix and run Son of Beast, it's going to draw a bigger line than most rides out there, especially Top Gun/Flight Deck, Adventure Express and correct me if I'm wrong, but Vortex as well.

Length of line does not determine popularity as there are too many variables effecting length of wait.

Well, when Son of Beast was even open (2000-2009), it did get long lines...though not all of that had to do with popularity, as it was the ride's capacity. Son of Beast was designed to run 3 Premier Rides 6-people-per car, 6-car trains. Had this worked, SOB would have had GREAT capacity. However, RCCA screwed that (among many other things) up and the ride could only run two of those trains. Then, in 2006, they reduced the trains from 6-cars to just 5. And then came the 2006 accident. And then, with the loop gone, the "current" (?) trains were added- Gerstlauer trains that had 4 passengers per car, and 6 cars...for comparison, that's 24 riders per car. Racer's current trains take 30 per car, and The Original Beast can take 36 per train (similar to original SOB). Son of Beast was running trains that were more in line with a small, 80-foot, 3000 or so foot long wooden coaster....not a 200', 7000-plus-foot-long wooden hypercoaster that takes 3 minutes to run its course. The result? Son of Beast often ended up with a 45 minute or longer wait on most days- not just longer than Vortex or Adventure Express, SOB would often have longer lines than its higher-capacity father...maybe even longer than Diamondback!

If SOB does re-open, the "fix" had better include longer trains- because, imagine if SOB's fix does work, and causes it to actually be popular...but they don't change the trains length (it stays 6-car, 4-seater) at all...imagine the wait time you're looking at! :o

I've also got something to say on the whole "hypercoaster" topic...but I'll do that in another post...coming shortly...

Haha, yes it is an opinion. But I can honestly say that a lot of people at Kings Island seem to want SoB to stay up. From what I hear. I always love to join those conversations. That is until someone says "Didn't someone die on that ride?" and I'm forced to tell them that no one has ever died on Son of Beast.

But yeah, when I join those conversations, people seem to say they wish they would just fix it.

Now there has been times when people would say "TEAR THAT POS DOWN!!" but that's not to often

A lot of people who come to Kings Island don't know about the incidents. They see a huge wooden coaster and assume it's going to be awesome. There still are quite a bit of people who know about the incidents, but I've noticed that there are a lot more people asking questions like what coaster is that and why isn't it open.

But yeah, when I join those conversations, people seem to say they wish they would just fix it.

Now there has been times when people would say "TEAR THAT POS DOWN!!" but that's not to often

I wonder how many of those people that want SoB "fixed" actually have been on SoB.

Back in 2000, I can remember many days I also wanted SoB open. Then I finally rode it and was upset that what I wanted caused so much pain.

Son of Beast? NO! (Re-open please?)

Adventure Express? Ehh, Nahhhh. Although it IS boring, it's for families and people who don't enjoy roller coasters AS much

Top Gun? YES!! This thing is a peice of crap. It isn't the WORST ride, but the walk to get there is longer than the ride. No one rides it.

Adventure Express is for everyone, not just people who don't enjoy coasters. I always make it a point to ride it at least twice every visit (meaning I rode it 6 times last week!). Plus, have you noticed the strong laterals and little pops of airtime? I betcha someone like TombraiderTy could say something more... ;)

When I went last week, I once waited about 20-30 minutes to ride Flight Deck. People don't ride it and don't love it? Pshhh

I beg to differ, I find Top Gun/Flight Deck to be short, but packs a punch. It is also a good family ride that I would bet will outlive Son of Beast.

• Like 2

I wonder how many of those people that want SoB "fixed" actually have been on SoB.

Back in 2000, I can remember many days I also wanted SoB open. Then I finally rode it and was upset that what I wanted caused so much pain.

Yes! I too was extremely excited to ride it. Then when I did, I could hardly bare the pain. Over the years I kept "trying" to ride it, but it just hurt to bad. Yeah it was big, fast and fun...but it really wasn't worth the pain that it caused so I eventually just stopped riding it altogether. Tear it down I say! Put up a new extreme steal coaster! LOL

And now...for the hyper/giga coaster questions I've been seeing...I'll clear the air on that one:

Hypercoaster: A full-circuit coaster that travels above 200' OR has a drop that is over 200' (Apollo's Chariot & Phantom's Revenge are not over 200' tall, but apparently qualify as hypercoasters due to their huge drops). A wooden hypercoaster does exist, but is currently SBNO. I don't think I need say which one that is.

Original: Magnum XL-200, Cedar Point, 1989, Arrow Dynamics

Gigacoaster: A full-circuit coaster that travels above 300', no coasters that are under 300' but have 300' drops exist...yet. Original: Millennium Force, Cedar Point, 2000, Intamin

Stratacoaster: A full-circuit coaster that travels above 400', again no coasters under this height have a drop that big either. No non-launched stratacoasters exist at this time. Original: Top Thrill Dragster, Cedar Point, 2003, Intamin

And here's pictures from all the companies that have built hypercoasters...

Arrow Dynamics (the original)

Magnum XL-200 @ Cedar Point

2c40iopegq5801cg02o006.jpg

B&M

Diamondback @ Kings Island

9dg4t000o3j35q38k2qr84.jpg

Intamin

Bizarro @ Six Flags New England (formerly Superman: Ride of Steel)

af0179001g7m6bk6h85tec.jpg

Giovanola

Goliath @ Six Flags Magic Mountain

hbh500o6g4po00610opegq.jpg

TOGO (Da-Da-Dum!!!)

Fujiyama @ Fuji-Q Highland

e1aidg2ac001g8m6bk6ha3.jpg

Morgan

Mamba @ Worlds of Fun

ei85f707ag00c2dhit1kag.jpg

Roller Coaster Corporation of America (Wooden)

Son of Beast @ Kings Island

e282vo14g000g9m6bk6h81.jpg

All of these are technically hypercoasters...all are over 200', but under 300'. And notice the diversity of track styles, trains, etc etc. Hope this shows people some things about hypercoasters...including how common they seem to be these days...Magnum XL-200, what have you done?!?!

Oh, and my comments on the two other "topics" (dang, this is a crazy thread):

Remove Adventure Express? F--- NO! It's a great family ride and has amazing capacity, and it still has MANY, MANY more years of service left. Cedar Creek Mine Ride, another Mine Train @ Cedar Point, opened in 1968. And is still going strong. AE is very young in comparison, having only opened in 1991.

Flight Deck's death "imminent?"- I can't be sure, but Big Bad Wolf @ BGW operated for 25 years (1984-2009) before it finally kicked the bucket. Based on that, Flight Deck's demise is due for...2018. We still have 6 more years, based on that...in fact, Vortex might go before Flight Deck does...however, popularity could be a factor in an early demise for either of these rides...I'm pretty sure BBW was very popular before it closed.

I was only like 20 when I first rode Son of Beast and it still hurt. However, I was the same height as I am today, which is approx. 6 ft. tall. So maybe not so much age, but height? I'd agree with height, but not age!

I must be a hyper junky. I LIKE(d) THEM ALL. OK, I have not been to Fujiyama, yet. Magnum, Diamondback, Bizarro are all on my top 10 steel list. Also, I really really did like Son of Beast although the time has passed to save this woody. Sonny's Revenge, anyone?

Not to be technical, Millennium Force was the first to open but second to be designed. Steel Dragon 2000 was the first to be designed. Due to extreme engineering requirements for Japan's building code (earthquakes), SD 2000 took longer to be built.

• Like 1

Cedar Fair is the only operating company that's shown a real dedication in maintaining Arrow suspended coasters. There's one left at Six Flags and a modified version in England. Cedar Fair's parks have three operating. In the past, many of us here imagined that either Kings Island's or Canada's Wonderland's would be sacrificed the moment Iron Dragon needed cheap spare parts - anything in order to keep the most coasters on Earth at Cedar Point! That appears to not be an issue anymore...

My sister, who is short, rode Son of Beast and loved it. My best friend, who is 6'0 and weighed about 275lbs (he's not super fat, but he is a big dude) at the time, hated it...hmm, perhaps there is a coincidence...uh-oh, I can see it now...(Warning: Joke ahead...)

Son of Beast re-opens after a quick fix-up!

Me: Yay!

(I run up to it)

Ride Op: Sorry sir, you are too tall and too heavy to ride.

Me: Huh? But I'm 5'11 and only 205lbs...

Ride Op: TOO HEAVY! You must be less than 5'8 and under 175lbs!

Me: WHAT!?!?

:blink:

And you thought Diamondback was restrictive...

I enjoy Flight Deck for what it is. A short ride that is actually quite intense. When it is a walk on, I always enjoy a series of 3 or more rides on it before I walk back. In fact, no ride has made me grey out as much as Flight Deck, for some reason it hits me more that most other rides.

A giga coaster would be nice...I have ridden a couple and one of my fav's is Millennium Force. But it seems to me that the giga coaster's all of them have a simple track layout and a short ride time...Same for hyper coasters I love the Diamondback buts its short on ride time.

• 1 month later...

McSalsa, you are ALMOST correct on your thinking of why SOB never ran 3 trains. The problem wasn't with RCCA, it was the original designs. Parks want an empty block (section of track that can only have one train in it at a time, normally ending in some sort of braking system to prevent two trains in that section,) in between each car, that way the ride will be a complete circuit and won't stop at a MCBR. The problem with SOB was that there were only 4 blocks programmed into the computer (front of station to top of lift, top of lift to MCBR, MCBR to final brakes, final brakes to station.) Given this slight issue, you could not run 3 trains because one would be continuously stopped at the MCBR, thus breaking the ride into two sections and not giving a complete run for those who were riding. Now, if the design included a secondary brake set before the station (I.E. Diamondback, Beast, or Vortex,) then the ride could have easily ran three trains. Alas, this was not the case.

Also keep in mind that designers will put the maximum trains they can put onto a track in order to make the ride seem like it will hold more people, which works great in principle, but when you start thinking in terms of reality, it rarely checks out.

• Like 1

It depends on the design of the coaster. Some are designed with two final brake runs, so that the trains can "stack" and not be stuck on the MCBR. Its neither typical to put one on or not. Kind of like designing a house with or without a designated office, depends on what the designer/buyer wants.