Flyer Rumor

Express44

Lately I've been hearing a lot of rumors about a B&M Flyer coming to PKI for the 2005 season. If you think about it, it actually makes sense. In 2001, PKI was supposed to install a Vekoma flyer instead of RRR. Since Stealth at PGA was a piece of crap, Paramount broke off the contract with Vekoma for the two flyers (The other was going to PKD). Those two flyers ended up at two SF parks and were named X-Flight and Batwing. So now PGA already had a flyer and PKI and PKD were supposed to have one but didn't. Next year PCW will get a Volare flyer and PC will get Stealth from PGA. So if Paramount hadn't broke off the contract with Vekoma, every Paramount park would've had a flyer. That leads me to believe that Paramount liked the idea of a flying coaster and wanted every park to have one. Now if Paramount wanted a flyer at everyone of their parks, what is stopping them from outting in a B&M flyer at PKI? This seems like a good idea for the park, but it may turn out to be a mistake since flying coasters have not yet proven themselves yet. Many of the reviews of the Superman flyers have not been too impressive. I've heard that the B&M flyers are pretty boring except for Pretzel Loop. So now, what do you guys think? Do you think PKI will add a B&M flyer? Do you think it would be a good move? Do you want them to? Let this be a thread to speculate.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard the rumour about us supposed to get a flyer form vekoma and said something about it on coasterbuzz and some guy called me a troll..... :censored:, but anyway I think a custom flyer would be great. I could maybe see the timeline theme used for a flyer, but I do agree I want to see B and M flex the inversions a little more with there flyers and add more elements.

Why is everyone hooked on this timeline movie as the next theme for a coaster? I'm not sure it has even done well at the box office. Or, is it just that it is a Paramount movie and from now on, every Paramount movie made is going to be suggested for a new ride to be themed by. You know, it may very well be that PKI won't theme it to any movie. Last ride built...Delirium. No movie themeing there. The only coasters named after movies are Face/Off and Top Gun. The majority are not named after movies.

Back to the flyer topic...

Where is the proof that Paramount ever wanted fliers in all their parks? Many people have stated this but it is always "I heard somewhere" or "somebody told me". There has never been proof. Also look at the timing of all the coasters. In 2000 Paramount opened Stealth and SOB. Then SFWOA put in X-Flight in 2001. In Stealth's first year, was it so problematic that Paramount said "no more" and Six Flags was able to pick it up, clear land and have it ready for 2001? So was Paramount going to install the flyers in PKD and PKI in 2001 along with Hypersonic XLC? The timing just doesn't fit.

Also how many of you have ridden a flyer? I rode S:UF at SFGAM and I was not impressed. It had nothing to do with the layout. Flyers are just below average inverted coasters with a gimmick. And that gimmick quickly wears off. Flyers are the new stand-ups. Nice at first but not as good as a sit down or regular inverted.

This is a low spending year for all the Paramount parks. The flyer at PCW is cheap. At PGA, Bommerang Bay will draw more families than Stealth did. There is also very little water park competition in northern CA. PKD is getting Scooby, installed in an already existing building. PKI is probably getting the most exspensive install but I would guess it is going to cost a lot less than a major coaster. PCW is getting a relocated ride. Although it could always change, I highly doubt we will see a new B&M or Vekoma flyer at any Paramount Park.

Little tid bit. The vekoma story IS true. Hypersonic was destined for PGA not PKD. The deal was Paramount Parks had exclusive rights to the Flying dutchman design for X number of years. (S&S does this with there towers but theres is by mileage).

When Paramount recieved a very problematic ride in Stealth they canceled the contract. PKI's was going to get one to replace King Cobra and PKD was getting one but I am not aware of its location. Keeping good relations with Vekoma though the park did buy 2 of there new "prototype" Kiddie Inverts(which are nothing more than inverted rollerskaters). Vekoma having designs on the table allready then went to Six flags. Who for some reason opened them close to the Paramount Parks were they were orginally going.

Stealth also left a VERY bad taste in the publics mouth over at PGA.(it made the SOB problem look like a bad day at the park). The public could of cared less about its removal. Stealth recieved new chassis for there trains this year. They helped alot of the problems but that rides fate was sealed. At PC it should be decently reliable because the trains were getting overhauled.

While a B&M flyer would be nice. It does not fit in with the locaton thats given for the next coaster. The Flyer at PCW is pretty full proof in itself but its a boring ride(theres a model of it that opened at a SF park to really lackluster reviews).

Seeing how PKI does not trust S&S any more, I highly doubt that they would build one. And, just because S&S designed one, doesn't mean that anyone will buy one. By the way, how tall is this supposed to be? From what I have read, Intamin has the plans and the technology to build a 700ft+. coaster, which will probably wind up being the last coaster built at Cedar Point when Dick Kenzel retires in '07. So, if it's not bigger than that, the record won't last long.

I think that Paramount still trusts S&S. It was really Paramount who shortened Hypersonic XLC. The drop originally went all the way to the ground, but when Paramount moved it to PKD, they had to shorten the drop so that they could put it over the midway. By doing that, the only good part about Hypersonic is the launch.

I think that Paramount still trusts S&S. It was really Paramount who shortened Hypersonic XLC. The drop originally went all the way to the ground, but when Paramount moved it to PKD, they had to shorten the drop so that they could put it over the midway. By doing that, the only good part about Hypersonic is the launch.

Wrong the I heard the Air Time on Hyper Sonic was great at the top of that hill

The real question is, who would want to name a flying coaster after a box office flop like timeline? Oh, wait a minute, PKI already named a ride after a box office flop...Drop Zone. Before you say it, I know that DZ is a good name for the ride, I just wouldn't have associated it with that awful movie. I also thought that Hypersonic XLC had a lot of potential and was wasted. What bothers me is many people bash Top Thrill Dragster for being a short ride and a two trick pony, but you never hear anyone bashing XLC, which is a short ride and a two trick pony itself. I guess it's easier to bash something that is not located in your favorite park chain.

First I think the flying coasters are a fad just like the stand up coasters were.Ive rode X-Flight at SFWOA 3 times and I think it sucks.The "flying position" is very uncomfortable.The restraints are a time comsuming pain in the butt not to mention painful on your legs.The ride itself is quite impressive to look at not to mention the automation on each train looks really cool.(im sure to a lay person like me it does,but to a park tech im sure its a nightmare) The ride was very disorienting the flip you over onto your back to go through the loop then back over into the flying position for the rest of the ride "I felt like a darn omlet!" Cant they make a loop that the train rides on the outside of the loop instead of the inside? Not to mention the last time I rode it I was sitting out on the brake run for 15 mins on my back "I was starting to have an anxity attack!" While they were having problems with the train in the station.But Im sure if PKI got one I'm sure they would opperate it to its fullest potential unlike SFWOA. I was there 3 different times and they never had more than 2 cars running at one time and only one station opperating.The line for the ride was 60 mins plus everytime I was there.But then again SFWOA is always understaffed.

As far as bashing TTD I never rode it.But from looking at it I'm in no hurry to ride it.For that matter I'm in no hurry to ride Hypesonic. I neen more than height or speed.But as for people bashing it well it stands to reason. They are claiming its the tallest and fastest which it is.But its probably one of the shortest when it comes to ride duration.Not to mention the 3 hour wait to get on it.When you stake the claim you open yourself up to bashing.If I could ride any ride. I would be on the first flight to Japan and be riding Steel Dragon.But hey thats just my oppinion.

What I ment by the Flyers being like standups is this.

When the stand-ups came out everyone was all hyped to ride one.Every did and now there popularity has declined(kinda like the expresion been there done that next)So flyers in my oppinion are like that. Ive ridden a flyer and really didn't think it was all that and if I never ride another one I won't be upset.

Kinda like been there done that.