Flyer Rumor

Express44

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also rode S:UF at SFGAM and was unimpressed.

Very uncomfortable, not very exciting and definitely not worth a three-hour wait. (Plus, this being Six Flags, our stuff was stolen while we were in line...)

It was something different but not something that gave us that "let's do that AGAIN!" feeling that The Beast still gives after 20+ years.

I'd love to see a floorless at PKI though, like Batman at SF, someday.

O.K. yes I thought the barrel rolls were good.The first drop was also good.

but other than that,It was very ho hum been their done that.Maybe if PKI put in a flyer and themed it unlike SFWOA's where in they droped it in the parking lot.The one time I was there it was so funny they had a vagrant walking around under the ride collecting loose money and they had to call security. (I still think a Flyer or and Invert over the lake behind the antique cars would be a great idea feet dangeling over the water or face down over the water)

• 2 weeks later...

PKI won't put a coaster in the parking lot because unlike SF parks, they need their parking lot. If you look from the Eiffel Tower at the parking lot on the weekend in summer, then you will see that the lot is packed and almost filled! I don't think it would be a bad idea if PKI added extra parking spots.

Skatefanjeff, I have been searching for about and hour and a half with no luck finding the article. I only visit a few coaster sites like coasterbuzz, guidetothepoint, virtualmidway, pki-central, and pkiunlimited. I know that it is located somewhere within the CP websites or the coasterbuzz website, I just can't seem to find it. Basically, the article was with I believe Monty Jasper, whom is over construction at CP. The article stated that Intamin made the claim that they have the technology to go 700ft. Wish I could find that f'n article. I'll keep searching and hopefully be able to post a link soon. Back to the topic at hand, I would like to see a flyer. Many enthusiasts say it is rather boring, but I'm not gonna be convinced until I get the chance to ride one.

I remember hearing also that they have the technology to build a coaster well over 500 ft and with multiple inversions and such.But the person that was being interviewed said "Its a matter of what the human body can withstand" so I'm willing to bet that a 500 ft plus is not that far away in the future.Its just a question of who wants to spend the money to claim the worlds tallest fastest to only have another park a year later take the status away with something taller.

I think we as coaster enthusiasts are living in a great time with all the technology thats out there.And we all should be thankfull for all these new rides.

Yeah, a 500ft. coaster would be awesome for PKI! Actually, I am beginning to re-think my earlier choice and want to go with a B&M inverted coaster. Those rides are real smooth and it's amazing what can be done with them. I would like to see one built that would utilize the landscape. I don't think very many of them already out there do this. And PKI has plenty of landscape with which to work with. I'd like to see an inverted put in over by FOF and somehow stick with the space theming.

That article or whatever I read about coasters going to the 700ft. mark, true or not, brings up a very good question. What do you guys think that the height limits the body can handle for a coaster? In other words, somewhere, there has to be a line drawn on the maximum height and speed a coaster can go without the G forces causing you to pass out. What do you think this would be?

I apologize, I kind of strayed :offtopic: . As I said earlier, I would rather see an inverted than a flying coaster go in at PKI.

Limits on how high is the money and the max speed has to do with terminal velocity, it will only go so fast no matter how high. loss of consciousness may occur if a Gz onset rate of approximately 1G per second is sustained for more than 3 to 5 seconds. It is known that G-LOC occurs in normal people and is the normal outcome if the right circumstances prevail. visual symptoms of grey-out followed by black-out which often precede G-LOC are well known. These occur as the arterial blood flow to the retinae of the eyes is progressively reduced. Grey-out is a partial loss of vision, commencing with peripheral vision, while black-out

results in total loss of vision.

I'd say that due to wind resistance and friction on the wheels, hitting the terminal velocity would talke a lot more than 500ft. The G force is a problem, though. Military pilots as well as astranauts have unbelieveable G forces on them. Of course, they have a medical check done before each experience. A ride that tall would probably cause heart attacks in a lot of people, so the likeleyness isn't that great... then again, two years ago, I probably would have said the same thing about 420 ft...

Here is one talking about a Arrow fish hook. Drop of 750 ft to only get back up to 415 ft so you will never see a second hill over that with out power to take it on over. I think you can see why 420 ft and 120 mph at Cedar Point.

Designed for the new generation of roller coaster venues. This ride can be attached to cliffs, mountains, canyons and sky-scrapers. The ride is so called because it is shaped like a giant fish hook. Riders are lifted out of the station at the lowest point and are pulled to the top of the giant vertical lift hill, which can reach well over 750ft if need be. The ride's car which seats 12 people in three rows of four are dropped to terminal velocity of 120mph before rocketing through the station and up a 415ft hook section. The car then moves up and down the two towers for a number of times until it comes to a stop in the station. The first version of this ride is due to be built on the side of the Stratosphere tower in Las Vegas, but the future could be bright! The Grand Canyon?? The Niagra Falls?? Anywhere that has a natural high vertical plane cans support one of these machines, which are suprisingly quiet given the enclosed cars and quiet wheel assemblies

http://www.coasterforce.com/information/fu...arrowinfo.shtml

I don't know but I think seen someplace terminal velocity would be  around 120mph and we are at that with  TTD.

It's different with TTD, that's a launch, not gravity driven.

Its gravity driven on the down side it just about stops at the top and goes 120mph down it.

The point is that if it will only go 120 mph no matter how high and that speed is acheived at 420 ft what is the need to go over that.

Like I said I don't know but if this is so a 750ft coaster will only coast the same distance as a 420ft coaster. A 750 ft coaster can only get over a 415ft second hill same as a 420ft coaster.

Some of you here are going to school to learn this stuff and should know how to figure what max speed is and the height to achieve it +or- a little.

Yes I think you need the weight of the train and the front surface area.

If he wants to just pick a train he knows the weight of and tell us how fast and height.

I don't know but I would think they all would fall about the same + or - 30 mph.

You'd also have to figure in the compound used to make the wheels. That costs a lot of friction loss.

At this point, I would like to see a flyer, but will be happy with any decision they come up with as long as it's a coaster. The drought has been too long. The only coaster I wouldn't want would be something short or low capcacity.

At this point, I would like to see a flyer, but will be happy with any decision they come up with as long as it's a coaster. The drought has been too long. The only coaster I wouldn't want would be something short or low capcacity.

Well you're in luck, but you'll have to wait for 2005 to come along.

• 1 month later...

Hate to tell you all, but Wildcat at CP pulls more G's than TTD. This is a fact, not an opinion. Look it up. Anyway, I will have to ride a flyer for myself before deciding if it's worth the wait. I'm thinking now that PKI will probably add a nice steel hyper to their base and it will be loads of fun. That's what people seem to forget, having fun. They are more interested in what kinds of records will be broken. Not every coaster has to be a record breaker to be a quality coaster. Especially these days with the wooden coasters. I think that it has been proven that with wood coasters, higher and faster definitely does not mean better.