Back lot Stun Coaster

SonofBaconator

I was on a couple of the other Cedar Fair Park websites and I realized something. Kings Island is the only park that changed the style of their cars. Like how each train is just one color. But in places like Canada's Wonderland and Kings Dominion have the same blue, red and white car stile to each train. Your feedback?

1. You're making a lot of new topics, none of them all too useful.

2. How do you know that they are all like that? Is each picture up-to-date? Probably not.

3. *Backlot *Stunt

He is new here, so let him make new threads. If you dont like a thread, dont comment in it. Be nice to everyone and everyone will be nice to you. The guy had a question about a coaster... where would he have put it?

• Like 5

2. How do you know that they are all like that? Is each picture up-to-date? Probably not.

3. *Backlot *Stunt

He is new here, so let him make new threads. If you dont like a thread, dont comment in it. Be nice to everyone and everyone will be nice to you. The guy had a question about a coaster... where would he have put it?

While I agree about being nice, it is also helpful to provide constructive feedback to new posters sometimes. Helping them realize that joining the community doesn't require creating new threads constantly, and following the Terms of Service and taking the time to correctly spell and punctuate is important. Also, it helps build repect if you don't disagree and ignore reality when provided with facts by long time/respected members.

So yeah, be nice and welcoming, but also help the new members become productive members is my theory.

• Like 1

3. *Backlot *Stunt

While I agree about being nice, it is also helpful to provide constructive feedback to new posters sometimes. Helping them realize that joining the community doesn't require creating new threads constantly, and following the Terms of Service and taking the time to correctly spell and punctuate is important. Also, it helps build repect if you don't disagree and ignore reality when provided with facts by long time/respected members.

So yeah, be nice and welcoming, but also help the new members become productive members is my theory.

Agreed, but I remember when I was a new member that feedback was given to me in private messages. Not called to stand out in front of everyone.... Seriously, why doesnt KIC have a spell check button on here anyways? ;)

Terpy, you are correct. It would just aggrivate me.

Side Question: Is there any place in Kings Island that sells Dr. Peppers or Monsters? I seem to have a taste for them while I'm at Kings Island

The last time that I was there, I saw a guy standing by one of those large coolers, and he had dr. peppers, and sprite.

• 2 weeks later...

The agreement with BMW ended. All the cars were modified on all three coasters.

I thought they were Minicoopers.

BMW Owns Mini, therefor when the agreement ended with BMW, they were not allowed to use the mini name anymore..

Edit: Darn you Crypt.. Ya beat me. :)

3. *Backlot *Stunt

According to RCDB, you're right... Circumstantially.

If the original poster is still lurking around unregistered, just know: our Stunt Coaster is by far in the best condition of the three. By far. Kings Dominion's Italian Job Turbo Coaster (that was really its name!) stops on the midcourse brakes where there are no flames, no sound effects, no helicopter, nothing. You just sit there and listen to the clicks where the pilot lights would normally plume. Wonderland's doesn't even stop on the midcourse brakes if it doesn't have to, cruising right on through (why should it stop, after all, when none of the effects work?).

• Like 1

Kings Island is the "family park" with the "World's Best Kids Area!" Backlot Stunt Coaster is a really great "family" coaster. I think that may have something to do with it.

And some portion of that may be power given to local authority instead of corporate mandate. The same season Backlot was refurbished, The Crypt had substantial work done to its queue including expensive lighting fixtures, sound effects, and construction work. We also got the mid-priced family WindSeeker and the family-oriented Dinosaurs Alive exhibit. I can't imagine that Backlot & The Crypt's work was something demanded by Sandusky... Seems more like something prioritized by Mason... But I don't know.

Yes. Flight of the Valkeryes (or however you spell it) still plays, the machine guns fire as well as the fire, and the LED's are working. We have the same new police sirens as last year, as well.

GYK, I just looked up a recent POV taken 3 days ago from Kings Dominion (to see what it's like), and my God do we have it good! They have 2 police cars (no third), minus the sirens, and the helicopter arm is snapped back, and at the MCBR, it's just a "stop and look at what was!". Also, you won't believe this, but there's a comment saying:

"Actually, some of the effects still work. During busier days, Kings Dominion still turns on the helicopter attack (with sound effects), fog covering the tunnel, fire from gasoline pumps, and large fire above the tunnel. It's one of the only parks to retain most of it's effects."

Bolded for emphasis. Meanwhile, I'm just facepalming.

3. *Backlot *Stunt

According to RCDB, you're right... Circumstantially.

If the original poster is still lurking around unregistered, just know: our Stunt Coaster is by far in the best condition of the three. By far. Kings Dominion's Italian Job Turbo Coaster (that was really its name!) stops on the midcourse brakes where there are no flames, no sound effects, no helicopter, nothing. You just sit there and listen to the clicks where the pilot lights would normally plume. Wonderland's doesn't even stop on the midcourse brakes if it doesn't have to, cruising right on through (why should it stop, after all, when none of the effects work?).

When I was there this past Friday, there were sound effects, along with the lights lighting up where the bullets are shot out of the helicopter. The only thing missing was the explosion. It also has a splashdown, whereas King Island's was taken out.

But I did manage to see a roll-back on it at KD while I was there also. While, knowing that it is launched uphill and is completely possible, I had never seen it to be an issue. Have any of us here ever seen this happen at KI?

It's happened at Kings Island. I think The Interpreter said he saw one. And if I recall what he said, the process to get the train back into the launch position requires physical pushing...

Roll-backs can happen on any launched coaster, so why accidents like Pony Express' aren't planned for is totally bizarre to me. Of course, they're more common on cooler days, windy days, and after long periods of nonuse. Be on the first train of the day on Top Thrill Dragster in the morning on a cool, misty October Sunday...

From Canada's Wonderland's Backlot Stunt Coaster Youtube video:

"Canada's Wonderland let this ride go...weeds everywhere and they even programmed it to skip the helicopter scene. Kings Dominion and Kings Island still have the scene with the fire and fog. The two maintained the "Hollywood Backlot" theme much better."

:huh:

Gyk, I don't know where you happened to be last Friday, but it was anything but cool and Windy. Hot, Dry, and Stagnant would be better adjectives.

But yeah, they had to physically push the train back into the ride station. It was an interesting thing to stand and watch. Mrs. Kingsrattler and I were in the front of the first train that re-launched... hoping it failed again. It did not.

• Like 1

The

of Kings Dominion's taken this week replicates my ride experience perfectly. Even the "billboards" along the edge after the overbanked turned are almost entirely faded from the sun, peeling and stripping more and more each day. As I said, you can hear the "clicks" where the sudden burst of gas is supposed to ignite the flames and the helicopter is cracked backwards on its arm. It looks like it's not even ABLE to move, but I'll take your word for it, kingsrattler. Literally the only effect I saw working there was half of the splashdown (it only splashed on one side).

For what it's worth, Backlot is one of my favorite night rides anywhere. I love the sirens, the billboards, the streetlights, the parking sign, the flames, etc. all illuminated. I waited until 9:30 at Kings Dominion last season to ride it. It was pitch black, and not a single light turned on. Not one. No sirens, no spotlights, no billboards, no flames, no gunshots... And they think people don't notice this? Look at the comments on that video... People recognize when something isn't how it used to be. Maybe not incrementally, but when literally everything stops working?

• Like 1