Tips for First Time Coney Visit

Usually you won't encounter long lines at Coney. The only exceptions I've seen are for Balloon Glow or other major events (such as last year's anniversary celebration). If there's a big concert at Riverbend/PNC Pavilion, you might also encounter long lines, but it depends on who's playing and how soon the concert starts (obviously as you get closer to concert start time, the park will get more crowded, up til about an hour before the concert starts [when Riverbend's gates open]).

As others have said you usually won't encounter too long of lines, provided there are not a lot of group picnics at the park. Obviously if you are going to do Sunlite pool, you would want to leave some more time.

Definitely make sure to hit up both Tempest and Rock O Planes, as they are both very fun and unique rides. Admission prices are relatively cheap. $21.95 pool and rides combo ticket, Rides are $11.95 and $7.95 after 4pm.

Hope that helps.

Tempest, Python, Sunlite Pool, Lake's paddle boats, and Rocko Planes are great, sit back relax, enjoy the day, its a great park, and very nicely shaded. Great for Family fun.

If there are lots of group picnics, the lines can get long.

My advice go early always better.

I'm not about early at all, but at parks I go when the gates are opening.

• 11 months later...

I went up last year with the kids on a weeknight after 5pm because they had the special pricing. My entire extended family ended up trickling in after work and we didn't wait for anything, rode our hearts out for 3 hours, and I thought I was going to die on the Super Round Up. My 4 year old loved the Python, my Dad loved telling me where everything was before KI opened, we had fun races on the slide, and Dad tried to kill me on the Rock O Plane. What a horrible little thing that is! :P

It's good for a couple of hours with all age groups, but you really should take my Dad with you to tell you about the history of the place. hehe!

• Like 2

Glad you had fun when you went.

As a side note, we are two days away from the 14th annual LaRosa`s Balloon Glow. This Wednesday, July 3rd is the day. The Balloons glow from 8-10pm. Admission to see the balloons is free, and there is a Rozzi`s fireworks show at 10pm. Sunlite pool stays open until 9:30pm, and the rides stay open until 11pm. Expect large crowds, and if you go, be sure to get there before 2pm, as parking goes from $8 to $10 at that time.

• 1 year later...

Bringing up an old thread...sorry! :D

I possibly may be making my first trip to Coney this Sunday. I noticed the park is open until 9. We (three total newbies to Coney) would be arriving by 4ish which I noted has pricing of $8.95 for rides. How long would would it take to get through the park and do everything on the Sunday after a holiday?

Anything that we should do? I know we'll def. ride Python and Whipeout.

Thanks for any/all input!

But I'm sure CoasterGeek101 still wants to know some tips about his first visit to Coney!!

Maybe

A thread EXACTLY two years old!

Neato.

Lol, yeah "neato." I see you've picked up the East Coast lingo!

I didn't want to start a new thread, really for one question that wasn't asked in Alex's original post and people may have changed their minds about what shouldn't be missed :)

We're going there tomorrow before the Cincinnati Pops concert at Riverbend.

Definitely ride Rock-O-Planes, it's one of our favorite rides there. I like Coney's Scrambler better than KI's. The Flying Bobs and Tilt-A-Whirl are also lots of fun. As many times as I've been there, I've never ridden the Dodgem's but I hear they're good. I plan on finally riding them tomorrow.

• Like 3

Had a great time at Coney! Didn't realize that Alice Cooper and Mötley Crüe were in concert on Sunday night...didn't have to pay to park, which was nice!

I really enjoyed the feel of the park. Python was a fun and interesting little coaster. The Dodgems were good! I liked and I didn't like Wipeout. I am glad I experienced it. I thought there were a ton of spinny rides which I didn't enjoy really. Although Tilt-A-Whirl is always a must ride when I see them.

We didn't ride everything but had a great time. My last ride of the night was on the Rock-o-Planes. I liked it, but I was kind of irritated. The cycle lasted way too long. After getting off, a friend who didn't ride said he saw the ride operators playing on their phones the whole time. That really made me mad. Anywho. Nice park! Thanks for the suggestions!

Edited: To change the spelling of the Band's Name to: Mötley Crüe

• Like 5

Yeah. The auto spiel on River Runner is very mono-tone, and not very enthusiastic. But it is what it is. On Wipeout, our operators have typically been doing spiels about loose articles, and not to touch the restraints as they will come down automatically. But the set up of the ride makes it difficult to spiel with riders on the ride, without a microphone and speaker. Especially if only one op is running it.