General Son of Beast Discussion

Gordon Bombay

I think i posted this in the last thread a while back,but we rode S.o.B the last day it was open and my wife was freaking out that something was wrong and i didnt notice anything and was laughing at her,guess who has the last laugh now? Everytime we ride Flightdeck she points at S.o.B and says "told you so"! Its really starting to get old by the way, her teasing and him sitting there motionless.

The last day it was open nothing went wrong with it. The woman who claimed to have a busted blood vessel in her head was the cause for the most recent closure. Then of course the Head man in charge stated that he was not happy with how the ride was preforming and thus is not open...

There are 25,437 people who made the "last day" of riding the SOB now that it is 2012.

Similarly, in Cincinnati, there are now 242,871 people who were at the Freezer Bowl, 142,905 people who were at Tom Brownings perfect game, 345,823 folks were were at Riverfront for hit #4192, and so on.

The last day it was open nothing went wrong with it. The woman who claimed to have a busted blood vessel in her head was the cause for the most recent closure. Then of course the Head man in charge stated that he was not happy with how the ride was preforming and thus is not open...

There are 25,437 people who made the "last day" of riding the SOB now that it is 2012.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are saying...

I believe he is calling me a liar. :rolleyes: I didnt see or feel anything wrong with it other than its normal shaking you to death,but cant tell her that because it hasnt been opened since.It was closed very shortly after our ride.I should add that she never reported anything to the park,we just noticed it was closed shortly later after our last ride.I still dont think anything unusual was wrong with S.o.B its last day.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are saying...

The number of people who were at certain "events" multiplies many times over the actual folks who were there for said event as time goes on.

Thus the silly numbers for folks attending Riverfront Stadium events (held approx 52,000 people).

The "problem" in 2009 had nothing to do with the failure in 2006, but that is beside the point.

She didnt claim she had a busted blood vessel, she did have a busted blood vessel. As previously stated, just because this incident happened, did not mean its the reason it closed. See the very first post.

Did the woman show medical records to the park, or did the park automatically believe her?

Well since the park settled out of court, I would assume (just my own opinion) that she did have medical records. Because if she didnt, the case would have been thrown out of court....

My personal view of SOB? I really enjoyed it when it had the loop. The cars were a bit uncomfortable (I didnt like the trapping of my feet), the lift hill was very loud, and I was confused about pictures being taken before the first lift (I would have assumed it was on the first drop or even before/after the loop. But I did enjoy the ride in its first version. The first hill was one of the scariest moments I have had on a ride. It was fast (riding in the front seat was crazy!). The final turn before the loop was always exciting because if I remember correctly, it slowed down just a bit? But then the loop was great. The second Helix was better than the first. But it was a good ride. But after the loop was removed it just felt like it was rougher to me (later I found out that the trains were changed). After the removal of the loop the ride felt like it bounced side to side more. It was just not as enjoyable from that moment on. It actually was a ride I would skip because of the poor ride.

• Like 1

I think that if people are so siked about SOB being torn down, then Kings Island should have devoted fans sign a waver and pay some money to tear it down. but they wouldn't because of a death risk, but a good idea.

Devoted fans of tearing it down would have to sign a document where they waive a right and pay a fee in order to tear it down? How could tearing down the ride create a death risk? If a demolition is controlled and done properly, not even a scratch should occur. Plus, a major decision would not be made at the park using a petition or vote.

• Like 1

I was on the SOB on 7/9/06 shortly before the train that caused the injuries (as oblivious as I am it could have been that train). It was my first time on the ride, I remember hearing a cracking noise at one point during the ride and noticed it was extremely rough ride. When the ride came into the station it was not the cheering you usually hear but more of a quiet nervous sound as if something wasn't right and heard some others complaining of pain. I felt weird but then got an ice cream, walked on to Vortex (literal walk on, the gates opened as I got there), then we left just as the first responders were arriving on the scene. So I was one of the last riders to experience the loop which was the best part of the ride. Next couple of days I was sore with symptoms close to whiplash but nothing major. I also would agree that when the ride came back online it wasn't as rough but still did not find it to be a fun ride.

I think your story is interesting. The cracking sound was that loud? Was it from the Rose Bowl? I hear conflicting stories about where the damage to the passengers actually occurred. I do recall reading somewhere of an architect watching the structure sway laterally as the cars made the round. The roughness increased after the crack? I wish of the riders of your car were available to add to this.

According to the investigation done by the state, a cracked vertical timber in the "Rose Bowl" caused a deviation between two track joints which created a "bump." As the train navigated the course and came into contact with that bump, it injured the riders, but the ride was able to complete its course. When those riders returned to the station with visible injuries, the ride crew took action and stopped operation - stopping one train on the lift hill so that it would not encounter the problem in the Rose Bowl as well. Those riders on the lift hill were evacuated and the ride then shut down.

As for the ride swaying, if you stood in Top Gun's line and looked at the right angle you could se the lift hill sway. This wasn't a flaw, it was supposed to have some give as most tall structures do.

Thank you. So the noted sway was the same as what I see on the lift supports of DB, which is oddly comforting to me, for some reason. I guess I'm reminded of Bruce Lee's quote, "Be like water."

I just don't think they will do anything with it because it's too expensive to tear down or repair from what my uncle said when he inspected the supports on the ride. plus, it holds too many world records.

What qualifications does your uncle have to inspect a roller coaster for repair and/or demolition? When did this inspection occur?

And what world records that are beneficial to Cedar Fair/Kings Island does it hold?

There are just some inexperienced people that could cause an accident.

There are just some inexperienced posters that could cause confusion. Seriously, slow down and think before you post.

• Like 3

Some one asked for a straight forward response on their Facebook page today and this is how K.I. responded.

We've provided the straight-forward answer countless times: No decision has been made concerning the ride's future. We'll let everyone know when there are any new developments concerning the ride.

https://www.facebook.com/visitkingsisland

Maybe I should go to Ford's web site and ask when are they going to bring back the T-Bird? But really, do these people that keeps posting and asking upper management at Kings Island or even Cedar Fair to confide in them and reveal their secret plans (at risk of their career in the amusement park industry)?

• Like 1

In my opinion, they have made up their mind; Kings Island and Cedar Fair and are keeping it secret until it's time to announce plans at the end of the summer. This is usually when a lot of parks start announcing new rides anyway so this leads me think that's what they're doing. :)

In my opinion, they have made up their mind; Kings Island and Cedar Fair and are keeping it secret until it's time to announce plans at the end of the summer. This is usually when a lot of parks start announcing new rides anyway so this leads me think that's what they're doing. :)

the only thing is if something was going to happen to SOB for next year wouldn't you think work would of already started? How should I know the suits don't talk to me. , :(

^And the suits don't talk to anyone else here, either.

I dont know, I talk to many people in suits daily... and I am sure there are some people on here who talk daily to higher ups in CF but those higher ups may not be wearing suits....

generalizations...

I'll betcha Don reads all these posts before he goes to bed each night just to get a good laugh.. :) imagine being him? My guess is he and everyone else in upper management know what the fate of SOB is. Don seems like an interesting and funny guy. Imagine being a Public Relations manager and having to keep a secret like that. I don't know if I could do it.

• Like 1