General Son of Beast Discussion

Gordon Bombay

I wish they would re-open it. But most of you are right, it IS risky. It was a great ride and I remember it with and without the loop. I was a huge fan of this ride though.

IF they decide to tear it down, I hope they build something bigger and almost as good as SOB (Nothing is better than SOB, I said BETTER, not SMOOTHER).

They don't OWE us a new ride but I at least hope IF they tear it down, build something new.

I saw a shirt at the park yesterday that had to have been a custom-printed shirt. It said "Son of Beast First Rider" and gave a date that I assume was the original opening day in 2000, then "Son of Beast First Rider" and gave another date that I assume is when it opened back up sans loop in 2007, and finally "Son of Beast First Rider When It Reopens". I think he's being just a tad optimistic.

It has been said that after the 26 people injury incident, Kings Island apparently "bandaged" the wound on SOB in stead of completely repairing it.

Not only said, but quoted:
In a video interview, Rick Schmizze, who investigated the 2006 accident for the Ohio Department of Agriculture, said owners of the amusement park have known since 2000 there were problems with the ride.

“They would fix them in a Band-Aid style and then wait and see what happened,” he testified. “They never really stopped and said ‘we’ve got a problem with this ride as a whole.’ “

http://www.springfie...east-a-1/nMqCb/

Tggrr - unfortunately that link goes to an article that doesn't exist, bu it is my recollection/understanding:

- the video referenced relates to a case from the 2006 incident

- the expert (who worked for the Ohio DoA and investigated that incident) is stating that KI knew of problems but had only done Band Aid fixes between 2000-2006

- I do not believe he is talking about fixes after 2006 which did not have relevance to the case at hand

Perhaps If we can find a current link we could confirm.

I rode SOB several times in its' original form. I remember one season, my brother and I went and rode it. When we came back to the station, there was no line, so usually when that is the case, you can re-ride without going through the line again. The ride ops would not allow us to do this. I think that speaks volumes for that coaster. My assumption is that the ride ops were told not to allow anyone to re-ride. Did anyone else have this kind of experience with SOB ride ops? My wife never got to ride SOB with the loop and she was only moderately impressed with the ride. I tried to explain to her how much cooler the experience was with the loop in. She agreed it probably would have been cooler, but she didn't convince me that she would have loved it that much more.