"Behind the Scenes" Tour

jzarley

Ok, first off, I realize that a lot of active readers/posters on this site are PKI employees, so I know the idea of a "behind the scenes" tour wouldn't hold a lot of allure. But, would it for the general public?

I did the "Keys to the Kingdom" tour at the Magic Kingdom at WDW a few years back and it was one of my best days ever! It was a guided tour of the park, including the "backstage" areas. The tour guide was really good and had lots of trivia & cool facts about the history and operations of the park. We also got to go to the front of the line at a few of the most popular attractions (like Space Mountain). It was expensive (if I remember correctly...around $200), but included admission to the park. The tour was pretty long (four hours?), but went really fast.

I wonder if a similar program would work at PKI? Personally, I'd pay $150 or so for a guided tour of all the "secret" areas of the park, the chance to go to the front of the line at a few of the major rides, and the opportunity to ask Jeffrey Siebert questions for a few hours <G>.

Of course...I may not be the norm either. What do you guys think?

Joel

Well, the park has somewhat already done that. On the Boomerang Bay Construction tours, they took us past the Admin. offices, and the HVAC departments as well as several maintenance buildings including the signs building, for free. Now it would be cool to actually go inside the maintenance buidlings, such as the parts crib where they keep all the spare wheels and parts. It would be cool to go through the behind the scenes areas like the show on SFMM did. However, I don`t know if I would pay $150 to go behind the scenes. As far as going to the front of the line, if you have a gold pass and get to the park for ERT, you can already go to the head of the line. Additionally, if the park were to offer this tour, I highly doubt that Jeff Siebert has the time to give a tour everyday the park is open. He is a pretty busy guy.

I have done ALL of the "Behind the Scene" Tours at WDW, they host them at all four WDW parks, The Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney MGM Studios, and Animal Kingdom. All of these are indepth tours about the way the parks run smoothly and how everything and everyone works together as one large to team make everyday at Disney a magical one. They also go into alot of the rides and shows to really give you a good feel of how all the rides operate. One of the best parts of the tours are the "jump-aheads"( the offical Disney name) in the queues. The time does fly when touring so it is really great and interesting to see some of this stuff.

Yes, these tours are pretty expensive, but well worth the money. As far as PKI goes, i honesly don't think there is too much that we don't know about the park. Maybe if there is a tour inthe morning when th maintance crews come out and a group actually walks onthe ride getting a good look at it then at the very end of the tour they get to ride the ride. That would be cool. I am sure people would do it if it was available.

Could someone that is going to Beastbuzz take some pics? I wish I could go (this is the second year I cannot go do to vaction), but I am leaving for Orlando. I have a question in reguard to the WDW tours. How do you sign up to take these?

I think that you guys would like to watch block tests, or probably parking trains. I've seen the inside of PKI's communications HQ and security HQ, that was kinda cool. Maybe you'd be a little impessed by the PLC rooms. Other than that, though, there really is not that much to see in those oh-so-secret "Authorized Personell Only" areas. Unless you like dumpsters.

On Son of Beast, all that's really back there is grass - grass thats about as tall as I am.

I agree with "Penguin"... there really isn't much to see where it says authorized personnel only (in sight of the visitor). just a bunch of dumpsters and people in blue and white shirts hangin out and buying food. although there are some old ride parts in front of pkiu that I found fascination in.

I think that you guys would like to watch block tests, or probably parking trains. I've seen the inside of PKI's communications HQ and security HQ, that was kinda cool. Maybe you'd be a little impessed by the PLC rooms. Other than that, though, there really is not that much to see in those oh-so-secret "Authorized Personell Only" areas. Unless you like dumpsters.

On Son of Beast, all that's really back there is grass - grass thats about as tall as I am.

The view from the rosebowl is nice.

As a longtime Kings Island visitor (my first visit was way back in 1974), I'd be very interested in something like this, but I'd also like to tour the Kings Island offices as well. I'd also like to see the Discovery or Learning channels do a show on how a seasonal park like PKI gets everything ready for winter after the park has closed, and how they prepare to open the park each season. I plan on visiting June 18th and 19th.

As a longtime Kings Island visitor (my first visit was way back in 1974), I'd be very interested in something like this, but I'd also like to tour the Kings Island offices as well. I'd also like to see the Discovery or Learning channels do a show on how a seasonal park like PKI gets everything ready for winter after the park has closed, and how they prepare to open the park each season. I plan on visiting June 18th and 19th.

Well, the offices are really not very different from any other office you might see - computers, keyboards, phones, all that nice stuff. The area manager's office can get kinda hectic sometimes, though.

I think Discovery Channel did something like you were talking about on Cedar Point.

And yeah, it is kinda cool in the rose bowl.

Discovery did a show on Cedar Point's daily operation, but they didnt really cover anything on off-season preparation. I would like to see something like that as well. Personally, I am fascinated by the workings of an amusement park. I would probably be the first in line to take a behind the scenes tour.