Amusement Park Tour Advice?

ziplock

Hello KIC,

This late July, I am planning on taking a summer amusement park tour to four different parks with my dad. Two of the parks, Cedar Point and Six Flags Great Adventure, I have already been to and know most of the basics on having a successful trip. However the other two I will likely be visiting, Hersheypark and Dorney Park, I have never been too, and know very little about.

I have a few questions for anyone who has been to Hersheypark or Dorney Park. Are there any strategies on attacking these parks to make the most of my day? What are the must-rides, and the rides that could be easily skipped? Where are the best places to eat at these parks? I will only be able to spend one day at each park and am hoping to experience most major attractions. I will also most likely not be getting any kind of line skipping pass for either park. However I will be getting one for both Cedar Point and Six Flags Great Adventure.

Here is the schedule for my trip to help give you a sense of what day I will be visiting each park;

Saturday July 21: Drive from Middleton, Wisconsin to Sandusky, Ohio/ Go to Cedar Point that evening

Sunday July 22: Go to Cedar Point all day

Monday July 23: Drive from Sandusky, Ohio to West Babylon, New York

Tuesday July 24: Workshops for my dad's fitness equipment business in West Babylon, New York.

Wednesday July 25: More workshops for my dad's business/ Drive from West Babylon, New York to Hershey, Pennsylvania

Thursday July 26: Go to Hersheypark all day

Friday July 27: Drive from Hershey, Pennsylvania to Alllentown, Pennsylvania early in the morning/ Go to Dorney Park all day

Saturday July 28: Drive from Allentown, Pennsylvania to Jackson, New Jersey early in the morning/ Go to Six Flags Great Adventure all day

Sunday July 29 to Friday August 3: Workshops in Asheville, North Carolina

Saturday August 4 and Sunday August 5: Watch the West Virginia Miners in Beckley, West Virginia and go drive back to Middleton Wisconsin.

We have Platinum Passes and Six Flags Season Passes, so the only admission we will have to buy is for Hersheypark. Are there any places we can get a discounted admission ticket?

I would really appreciate your advice for these parks, and plan on posting a trip report as soon as possible after my trip.

Thanks,

-ziplock

This would be my ideal plan.

Get to know both parks. Try to find the most efficent route to each ride from another ride. Try to plan each move of your day (that's what my friends and I did for Universal Studios). Do this, and you're likely to make the most of your day.

You can never know for sure what crowds will be like. Make sure you check the weather forecasts for your planned days in advance (try checking as close to your dates as much as possible to get an accurate reading).

For once, I actually echo railroader19's thoughts to a certain degree. Try to get to the parks at ropedrop, and then hit up the low capacity rides first thing, then wait in line for the higher ones later. Low capacity rides at each park that I highlighted are:

Dorney Park:

Stinger: This is the exact same ride as our Invertigo. If you haven't ridden ours, then ride. If you have, skip.

Voodoo Possessed: This is a very fun style ride, like Wicked Twister. However, instead of a curved spike at the back, it has a straight spike. I would reccommend sitting in the back row for this ride, as it makes for a looong ride down while riding. I'm not sure if the holding brake is operational on this ride, as it is disabled on Six Flags Great America's version (structural fault), but if it is, added bonus.

Screamin' Swing: With only 8 passengers total, this line will probably move slow. HOWEVER, this is a pay-per-ride attraction, so lines may be shorter.

Demon Drop: I don't know about this ride-- It does seem ot have low capacity, but there are many cars moving at the same time, so lines could be moving swiftly.

Wild Mouse: I don't think I have to explain!

Hershey Park:

Roller Soaker: Not only have I heard about capacity nightmares, but it also is not well received by the public, so I would just skip.

Wild Mouse: Again, I don't need to explain.

So there ya go. I would also recommend reading MF2000CMH's Excellent PTR that includes Hershey Park.

• Like 1

Hersheypark has always been one of my favorite parks. My recommendation is to be at the park at ropedrop and head to any of these rides; Storm Runner, Fahrenheit, Roller Soaker, and Skyrush. These rides have the longest waits in the park. All other rides should have minimal waits, due to high capacity and the great operation done at the park. Lightning Racers is a walk-on all day, everyday. It is one of my favorite wooden coasters and I recommend taking advantage of the lack of a line to ride it multiple times. Roller Soaker is the only of its kind still remaining, for good reason. Low capacity and a generally boring ride bring it down to one of my least favorite rides ever. If you wish to ride, be there the moment it opens, otherwise it just isn't worth it. Fahrenheit, Storm Runner, and Skyrush are all fantastic Intamins (although I have not ridden Skyrush, but from what I've read, it is fantastic). Storm Runner is my favorite ride in the park with a great, short but sweet layout. When you ride, the front seat is worth the extra wait.

Also, the area by Sidewinder and Storm Runner has some very tasty food. The pasta dish I had was great! Have fun at Hersheypark, I know you will!

• Like 1

Thanks for the help everybody! Another question though; On the average July day, how do these parks' crowds and waits compare to that of other parks like Kings Island and Cedar Point? That is assuming there is perfect weather and no other special events are occurring these days.

The 2 trips I have taken to Hershey Park have shown that the waterpark draws the biggest lines, ridiculous waits for an average waterpark. The main park usually isn't too bad, except for Skyrush, Fahrenheit, and Storm Runner. These rides draw the longest wait, but the longest I've had to wait would be 30 minutes.