Should Kings Island Change Their 2013 Season Pass Prices?

Joncars05

Simple poll. Should Kings Island change their prices for a season pass?

If you Vote please comment as I like to hear opinions of what should/could be done from others:

If you say yes, how much should the increase/decrease be?

If no, say why you think they should stay the same.

I for one would love to see a hefty increase in prices. I'm only 25 but sound like a grumpy old man when I say that I believe there are too many little kids (10-15) that are just dropped off at the park and left for the day. These kids are the one running, cursing, line-cutting, just generally bad acting kids. I don't like the fact that basically anyone can get a pass that includes parking and entry to both parks for $69. Now I do know the value of the Gold Pass because I have one. It's great because it is cheap but I think the pass is so cheap that it was oversold this past fall at the discounted price and it has led to overcrowding at the park (mainly from young kids).

My Vote is yes and I would like to see the price increased to $119.99 with the fall sale price at $99.99 instead of the original $69.99 fall sale. I think that the Gold Perks that are included now should stay included with this increase. I also think the increase in price will keep some of the younger (drop-off) kids away from the park.

The thing is I believe it will not happen as KI is headed in the family park and a family of 4 could struggle with justifying spending $400 for KI. So there is a fine line that needs to be walked here. But If you compare other parks such as HW their fall special was $129.99 plus a $30 add on for their Halloween events. Totaling $159.99 per pass.

Well I don't know how they are doing economically but $69.99 is not very much money to pay to be able to go to Kings Island anytime you want and be able to go on rides early, as well as join the FUN Perks program. It should be $89.99 for the fall sale, maybe even just $79.99.

I agree with jdawg.

However, Joncars05, not all teens are misbehaved when dropped off at the park. I know I'm not. But I also see your point of the argument. I can not begin to tell you how many time's I've gotten flicked off on The Racer, told to f*** off on The Beast, heard "THE BLUE RACER SUCKS!" when younger kids are clearly in audible distance, etc. In short, I think that there are "good" people who get dropped off, who do not line jump, who don't curse, and who don't run.

So, I say increase in price to about $90 for a renewal of Gold.

I've never bought a gold pass during the fall sale, but that seems a little cheap. But then again I don't know why I'm complaining about the prices, because with the cost of food, lockers, or etc the park will still be making a lot of money.

The fall sale will continue to be a drastically discounted price due to being "free revenue".

What I mean by that is: we buy our season passes 6 months before we can use them. In turn, CF holds onto that money for 6+ months before any return to the customer is necessary and does what they please with it during the slow season (probably invests a large portion of it).

As a customer, we need to determine if the discounted cost of the pass is worth it for that money not being in our account.

I have no problem with a 13 year old being on their own at the park as 13 is generally considered a "legal" babysitting age. Younger than 13- absolutely not. Now that does not mean a 13 year old is mature enough to be alone in the park, but there needs to be an unsubjective standard.

As far as the cost goes, I am happy with where it is at.

I know I do pigeon hole some of the teens into categories of being bad. Some actually are well behaved (even better than some of the "adults" that are in the park) but the ones that act out are the one that stick out the most which is why I tend to group the good with the bad.

It's usually the wannabe "gangsters" that cause all the trouble. They think they're all bad because they can walk around with a flat billed hat and sag their pants. They also think it's cool to walk like an idiot with their arms out like they're about to hug a tree. I saw a group of them try to pick a fight with a 40 year old man, until they found out he was an ex Navy Seal.

• Like 5

Im kinda Torn on the Subject. The Stingy Side of me wants to say Lower it Simply because it seems like every year, they tend to add more "Pay Per" attractions to Kings Island.Im still a major opponent of WhinePass, Dinosaurs Alive, Go Karts, Slingshot. Plus the removal of the Gold pass parking perk, While not entirely that big a deal, was a removal. Then the other half says keep it the same because all in all, it really is a good bargain for kids and family entertainment for the summer. Yet if Upping the Price 10 bucks per pass means the Major renovation of a Certain "Zone" in the Park and a decision made on an Unnamed wooden coaster of which we do not speak about, I would be fine with that too.

Plus the removal of the Gold pass parking perk, While not entirely that big a deal, was a removal

Except that they lengthened the morning ride times and added FUN Perks. And let's face it, gold pass parking wasn't much of a perk anyway- the WindSeeker parking (old gold pass area) doesn't fill up until pretty late in the day, it seems like.

Not to mention, Invertigo parking is really just as good as WindSeeker parking. I almost always park there. Something I never thought to do back when the gold pass lot was fenced off. Just get there early, and you'll find a good spot just as well.

Not to mention, it seemed like last season, they'd start letting anyone park in the gold lot as you got later in the day.

• Like 1

You honestly don't think the parents that drop off their kids for the day, so Kings Island will be their babysitter won't pay the price increase? I highly doubt it, I'm sure they would easily pay the price increase to keep their "babysitter" around. Also, I'm sure the higher ups at Kings Island don't mind it being "overcrowded", especially when the same parents that drop their kids off for the day, give them say...20 bucks to spend for the day.

It seems like when Americana and Fantasy Farm were around, they got a lot of the "rough" crowd or the "wannabe" gangstas. Once they closed and Kings Island became more affordable, it seems like they've all flocked there.

Back in the 80's when my mom and dad split, my dad would get my sister and I Kings Island passes, but my mom couldn't afford those so she would always get passes to Americana. She'd jokingly say that Americana brought in the "Kings Island rejects". Seems as though those people are no longer Kings Island rejects but part of the everyday crowd.

I'm not too thrilled with some of the people that attend now...you know who they are. They want to smoke in line (or anywhere else for that matter) and cuss and cause a scene, act gangsta or ghetto and just simply ruin the atmosphere for people like my girlfriend and I, or families who are trying to have an enjoyable time with their kids.

I say lets raise pass prices ever so slightly and open Americana back up. Maybe this will balance things out again the way it used to be in the 80's lol.

• Like 1

I dont really get why adults hate younger kids. I get dropped off each time i got to KI and i dont misbehave and line cut. I dont like when people generalize that they dont like younger kids. There are most of the time well-behaved kids. Unless you have kids with friends and there tryin' to act cool, so they cuss and misbehave.

I think $89.99 Is a better price for the fall sale and after the fall sale it should be 109.99 for a Gold pass after the fall sale, because I mean, the perks you get with Gold are GREAT and people should have to pay extra for them. Regular passes I do think should include parking, but nothing else. They should have these avalible in the fall for 74.99 and next year for 89.99.

I also think that Haunt should be a separately ticketed event. If your like me, you wouldn't mind paying a little extra if it means there will be better quality haunted trails and houses. I also think that if they do this they should allow only Gold pass holders to add on a season pass to haunt for 29.99. But October and September weekends without Haunt can just be regular admission and should allow Regular passholders admission into, but at 5PM just like Knotts does, close the park for a little and then re-open shortly later for Haunt people.

I think these are very reasonable prices considering what you get.

A lot of the "wannabes" are rich, spoiled brats. If they want something all they do is ask their parents and they'll buy it for them. But when park security or a ride operator tells them that they can't do something, they'll start whining. I see it happen all the time.

• Like 2

The problem is twofold, and the park does deserve part of the blame. At least in the past, we've all seen inappropriate clothing, smoking outside smoking areas, and line-cutters left without a word said to them. The idea being that if Kings Island put out a sign that said 'Smoking outside of designated smoking areas is cause for immediate and unrefunded dismissal from the park, no exceptions' and then actually followed through with for a few weeks, word would spread and it would no longer be an issue.

If the park had enough trained security staff who were not "uncomfortable" approaching and confronting "gangsta" teenagers, that, too, would end, and they'd take their inappropriate clothing back home.

As far as pricing, I agree that Gold Passes should be $20 more. $20 is not a lot for the benefits you receive. I think another important aspect of that (which many will disagree with) is greater stratification of passes. Maybe don't even discount the Gold Pass in the fall - let people get Regular passes from day 1, and have those be $90. Further, make the Platinum Pass something that people want for Kings Island. As it is, the Platinum Pass holds no value unless you plan to travel. Why not make it have a few perks even above the Gold Pass - free Skyflier weekdays from 10 AM - 2 PM, free Dinosaurs Alive on Wednesdays and Thursdays, flat 20% off food (with Gold Passes getting 10% off instead of the c0ckamamie "deals" of the past)... If the Platinum Pass were an actual level above the Gold Pass, people seeking that "VIP" experience that Fast Lane provides could pay $200 for it.

• Like 1

I also think that Haunt should be a separately ticketed event. If your like me, you wouldn't mind paying a little extra if it means there will be better quality haunted trails and houses. I also think that if they do this they should allow only Gold pass holders to add on a season pass to haunt for 29.99. But October and September weekends without Haunt can just be regular admission and should allow Regular passholders admission into, but at 5PM just like Knotts does, close the park for a little and then re-open shortly later for Haunt people.

This has always been a hot topic my friends and I discuss around this time, and even during the run of Haunt. Most of us agree Haunt would be better off as a separately-ticketed event, as the best theme park haunts in the nation are separately ticketed (Kings Island being the black sheep of the family according to last year's Golden Ticket Awards). The only real issue here is closing down and re-opening on a Saturday, as normally, crowds tend to increase right around the 5:00 mark. It's been done before on the first Saturday Haunt is open with a private event going on in the daytime, but it may be a bit more difficult with a regular crowd. Now would it automatically mean haunted attractions of a higher quality? It's doubtful that it would start off that way the moment they immediately start charging, but down the road it would/should increase with more money being put in from sales.

• Like 1

I paid 169 for my Cedar Fair Platinium Pass, I wouldn't not want to see the price go higher. I do feel that I get a great value though. I have been to KI and CP about 5 times each, plus used my pass at Soak City at Cedar Point. I have used my pass 11 times this year so far, my pass is more then paid for, and we about half way thru.

The problem is twofold, and the park does deserve part of the blame. At least in the past, we've all seen inappropriate clothing, smoking outside smoking areas, and line-cutters left without a word said to them. The idea being that if Kings Island put out a sign that said 'Smoking outside of designated smoking areas is cause for immediate and unrefunded dismissal from the park, no exceptions' and then actually followed through with for a few weeks, word would spread and it would no longer be an issue.

If the park had enough trained security staff who were not "uncomfortable" approaching and confronting "gangsta" teenagers, that, too, would end, and they'd take their inappropriate clothing back home.

As far as pricing, I agree that Gold Passes should be $20 more. $20 is not a lot for the benefits you receive. I think another important aspect of that (which many will disagree with) is greater stratification of passes. Maybe don't even discount the Gold Pass in the fall - let people get Regular passes from day 1, and have those be $90. Further, make the Platinum Pass something that people want for Kings Island. As it is, the Platinum Pass holds no value unless you plan to travel. Why not make it have a few perks even above the Gold Pass - free Skyflier weekdays from 10 AM - 2 PM, free Dinosaurs Alive on Wednesdays and Thursdays, flat 20% off food (with Gold Passes getting 10% off instead of the c0ckamamie "deals" of the past)... If the Platinum Pass were an actual level above the Gold Pass, people seeking that "VIP" experience that Fast Lane provides could pay $200 for it.

I completely agree. Making the Platinum pass have even better perks than the Gold pass might encourage people to buy it even if they don't plan on traveling.

Sunday night at the park, I walked into the Convenience Corner (beside Guest Services). There was a surprisingly young (as in within two years in either direction of 9 years old) boy standing at the register. I don't know if he was purchasing something or not, but the employee asked him if he knew where his parents were. His response? "Oh, they didn't come." When the wide-eyed employee questioned that, he added, "They dropped me off." That's the first and only time I've ever witnessed proof of people treating the park like a day-care center, and I was floored. People realize bad things can happen at parks, right?!

I'd like to imagine pass pricing would help weed this trend out significantly, but it almost feels like there should be a minimum age for passholders to enter alone. For instance, if a 9 year-old walks up to the gate alone, could it be required that an accompanying adult vouch for the child until he reaches a certain age (like 13 or so?) I don't know if that's unethical or something, but I was floored that someone so young is allowed to enter apparently with no qualms at all.

• Like 2

Gold pass renew price should go to $99.99 and buying gold should go to $130. 1 day ticket $65 and $75 for two day.

I think to help with the bad kid problem, i think every job at KI should be pushed up to being 2 years older. ex. ride op assistant should be at least 18 and not 16. I feel like none of the staff cares really about what happens in the park. If the price is set high enough thier won't be so many teens (granted i'm one my slef).

Sunday night at the park, I walked into the Convenience Corner (beside Guest Services). There was a surprisingly young (as in within two years in either direction of 9 years old) boy standing at the register. I don't know if he was purchasing something or not, but the employee asked him if he knew where his parents were. His response? "Oh, they didn't come." When the wide-eyed employee questioned that, he added, "They dropped me off." That's the first and only time I've ever witnessed proof of people treating the park like a day-care center, and I was floored. People realize bad things can happen at parks, right?!

I'd like to imagine pass pricing would help weed this trend out significantly, but it almost feels like there should be a minimum age for passholders to enter alone. For instance, if a 9 year-old walks up to the gate alone, could it be required that an accompanying adult vouch for the child until he reaches a certain age (like 13 or so?) I don't know if that's unethical or something, but I was floored that someone so young is allowed to enter apparently with no qualms at all.

The parents would go through the gate with them, then make a u-turn and leave. Because, of course, the rules don't apply to them.

I voted to increase the price. And not to deal with any kid age problem.

I just think that KI has over discounted the Gold Pass to the point here it isn't the right business decision. Somewhere in the past I showed how I paid ~$95 each for my family of 4 for 2007 and it has steadily moved all the way down to ~$49 each for 2011 & 2012 (fall discount plus buyout day $20 off).

I'd propose a fall price in the 85-90 range as fair.

• Like 1

I don't know if he was purchasing something or not, but the employee asked him if he knew where his parents were. His response? "Oh, they didn't come." When the wide-eyed employee questioned that, he added, "They dropped me off." That's the first and only time I've ever witnessed proof of people treating the park like a day-care center, and I was floored. People realize bad things can happen at parks, right?!

Being a parent of kids near the same age, and knowing how my kids will answer a direct question without being 100% clear, the child may have been with another adult that was not his parent.

One can only hope that was the case here.

i think every job at KI should be pushed up to being 2 years older. ex. ride op assistant should be at least 18 and not 16. I feel like none of the staff cares really about what happens in the park.

You think so? I've met a few Kings Island ride-ops who actually care about the guests and their safety. Granted, they aren't 16 (but has anyone met a ride-op who is?).

Rock bottom pass prices were a staple of Six Flags in past years. The idea was to pack 'em in. Once they're in, they need to pay, eat, shop, buy front-of-the-line passes, use family driers, fire water cannons at rapids riders, buy soft drinks from soda machines... How'd that work out?

GYK, who very sincerely enjoyed his day at a Six Flags park last summer and would easily have returned for a second day's admission, second day's food, second day's Flash Pass, etc. if it weren't for the absolutely ludicrous $20 parking fee. I can see how, if you bought a $50 pass, you'd think "Hey, let's go to Six Flags today!" then forget that it's another $20 before you can even step out of the car. Maybe that's the point!