First Roller Coaster

fanofFirehawk

Wabash Cannonball was actually stored at Old Indiana for a while. Six Flags owned it and had planned on reopening the park from what I heard. I heard they sold the land for a nature preserve. Not sure where the coasters went, I believe they had 5 or 6 stored there.

• Like 1

Wabash Cannonball was actually stored at Old Indiana for a while. Six Flags owned it and had planned on reopening the park from what I heard. I heard they sold the land for a nature preserve. Not sure where the coasters went, I believe they had 5 or 6 stored there.

Sadly, most of the coasters stored there were scrapped. I read somewhere that a car from Wabash Cannonball was seen in a park in Europe.

I was devastated to find out Opryland had been closed....to build a mall.

My first roller coaster was the Shooting Star at Coney Island! I rode it on the very last weekend at Coney Island in 1971 before they opened Kings Island.

I'm glad to see someone around my age on here. my first was the Teddy Bear at Coney Island. My family lived in Louisville at the time and we didn't make it there in '70 or '71 so I never got to ride the Shooting Star.
  • Like 1

Mine was technically the Great Pumpkin coaster (I think it was the Scooby Zoom back then?) and my first non-kiddie coaster was Adventure Express. But I always count my first "big" coaster as the King Cobra, because that's when I started to really get over my fear of them.

Taxi Jam (was that what it was called?) It was my first ride. It still looks like a fun little ride! ...don't judge. :ph34r:

Edit: Or was it Les Taxis? Both names pop out in my mind for some reason...

As Goodyellowkorn pointed out, the ride started off as Scooby Zoom, before being renamed Top Cat's Taxi Jam, then Fairly Odd Coaster, and now the Great Pumpkin Coaster. I'm not %100 sure, but I think that Les Taxis may have been the Rivertown side of the 'tiques.

*Sometimes it does look like a fun little ride; the only coaster that could easily fit in my backyard! :P

I believe that it was never the Fairly Odd Coaster, that was the name for the original Scooby Doo coaster, aka The Beastie. Wasn't it Little Bill's Giggle Coaster?

yes

Well, this is embarrassing....

It's like my family, I've got so many siblings that we are often mixed up with each other in names.

How could I not forget those faces on the front of the former Beastie's trains?

Yea.......

Hoosier Hurricane, Indiana Beach, Summer 1999. Rode it 3 times with my father. Loved it. I had probably been on small roller coasters at carnivals and such prior to that, but Hoosier Hurricane was my first full-scale coaster at a "decent" sized amusement park.

Then, 1 year later (August 2000), we went to Kings Island, and I was scared to death at just at the mere sight of gigantic rides such as Drop Tower and Son of Beast. Then, not knowing what airtime was, I was scared a bit by The Beastie, and then Blue Racer scared the daylights out of me. I guess my ride on Hooiser Hurricane must not have had airtime...it would be 9 more years before I returned to Kings Island, rode Beast...and became a coaster nut.

My dad took me on The Beastie when I was around 5 or 6 and my mom was furious about it! She yelled at him about it because she thought it was "too scary" for a little girl, but I loved it! And I still love coasters to this day. I'm glad my dad didn't give up and kept taking me on coasters throughout the years. :D (My mom and my older brother unfortunately hated roller coasters.)

• Like 1

My first coaster was the Screechin' Eagle at Americana.I rode it the first year that I was tall enough to get on and I can remember being so scared that I was trembling! I've been hooked ever since.

This was my first adult coaster, it was called the Space Rocket or something similar to that. It had the old buzz bars that actually weren't locked in the station they were locked by an arm on the back of each car that got flipped by a worn out piece of plywood as it rolled out. Needless to say they didn't always lock and the one in my car didn't, and my buddy was quick to show me that the bar wasn't locked. I was scared to death but he was loud enough about it that the OP stopped the lift and came up and locked it. Those were the days like Jeff Foxworthy says "when the kids weren't too good to fly out the windshield with rest of the family".
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...