First Roller Coaster

fanofFirehawk

My First Roller Coaster was the Big Dipper at Camden Park. I literally grew up right across the street from the park.

That was my first as well! At least, it was the first I remember. I'm sure there was a Little Dipper sometime before, but I very much remember the first time I rode the Big Dipper...that was in 1986 ;)

~Josh

The first roller coaster I remember riding was The Beastie. I might've ridden Top Cat's Taxi Jam before that though. But I don't know, I probably was too little to remember. Anyways, my first-time experience on The Beastie to me was so scary! Especially back then when there was a tunnel at the bottom of the first hill. I was so freaked out and in almost tears I was that scared, but I managed to toughen up enough to ride the ride. And you know what, that very instant I experienced that first drop of The Beastie (now Woodstock Express) is the exact moment that I became a coaster fanatic. It's that marvelous, wonderful, extraordinary, astounding, first drop that allowed me to experience the incomprehensible joy that only the thrill of a roller coaster can provide.

So anyways, after that ride on The Beastie I became completely hooked on roller coasters. I remember in that same day I ended up riding The Beast, The Racer, Adventure Express, Top Gun (Flight Deck), and Runaway Reptar (Flying Ace) all for the first times too. What a memorable day that was... ^_^

• Like 3

My first was Adventure Express. I rode it twice with my mom while my brother, sister, and dad rode the then-new Son of Beast, and King Cobra. Quick question, did those co-exist for one season or two?

The first coaster that I really remember my first ride on was the then-named Pepsi Ripsaw at the then-named Camp Snoopy in the Mall of America.

My first roller coaster was at a little family park called Pee Wee Valley in the Reading area of Cincinnati. It was similar to The Great Pumpkin Coaster. It seemed very big to me at the time. ( Since I was little-lol.) My first adult coaster, of course, was the Shooting Star at Coney Island. ( One of Terpie's favs. ) It is so sad that they could not save that ride-I would certainly include it with my top fav wooden coasters.

• Like 1

Don't laugh, but my first coaster at Kings Island was Son of Beast. It's a miracle I still enter the place.

Don't worry TTD - I won't laugh. The Beast was my first coaster too! I wanted to ride the Shooting Star at Coney, but was too short. When I was finally tall enough, Coney closed and KI was born. The Beast is still my absolute favorite! :D

• 4 weeks later...

My first time was when I was 6 years old at the 1982 worlds fair in Knoxville Tn. I was so excited to be tall enough I could hardly believe I was getting on. I have searched forever for the name of that coaster but I can't find anything. I remember it being something like the Python at Coney. When the ride was over I went running down the exit ramp towards my parents. It was very hot that day and with the combination of adrenalin and dehydration I passed out. Lol. Only time in my life I have ever fainted. I woke up in an on-sight clinic. But I was hooked! I now live in Mason and ride as much as I can. You can find me at K.I. Almost every weekend. With my 8 year old son of course.

• Like 2

My first coaster was probably The Beastie at KI. From there I worked up to the Adventure Express, then Racers, then Beast, then Vortex. I was a late bloomer when it came to coasters. I was always scared of them for some reason, but the more I rode them, the more I loved them. I'll pretty much ride anything now.

• Like 2

^Same here! I loved watching them, but RIDING them was another story. I didn't ride a single coaster until I was 8. I started on Great Pumpkin Coaster and Woodstock Express in '07 and '08, then Flying ACE in '08 and early '09, and then on to Diamondback later in '09, and Vortex in 2010 (and BEYOND!!...). I did ride The Beast, Adventure Express, Drop Tower, Delirium, The Racer, and Flight Deck in 2008 (when I was 9), but it wasn't until 2010 after I started to ride Vortex that I returned to AE, Drop Tower, Delirium and FD and started regularly riding them as well, along with returning to The Beast in '09 when I started riding DB, and also (finally) returning to Racer in 2011 and this year, 2012, after I decided it was more than "just bumpy and mediocre." (In '08 I was still "scared silly" of riding all those bigger coasters--I was a bit "paranoid", I thought it wouldn't take much to get sick on even a small(er) coaster like AE. I eventually realized that I actually have a very strong stomach, and there is no need to worry about anything like that now.)

...Wow, I have a detailed history of my intro to roller coasters... :rolleyes:

• Like 2

First, reading some of these posts makes me feel so old, lol.

I grew up with a father who loved roller coasters. I, however hated them until I was 10 or 11. My first was the Scooby Doo (Beastie, Fairly Odd Coaster, Woodstock Express),when I was 4, and as a youngster I was forced onto all the coasters by my dad. The one coaster he never got me on (and I seriously regret this now) was The Bat. My first looper was Screamin' Demon (later, just Demon). I got the fever when we went to Geauga Lake and Sea World and I rode the Double Loop. Once I rode it, I was hooked. My oldest didn't like coasters until he rode Vortex, then he became a rider. My middle child is not much of a rider, though he keeps saying he will ride. Surprisingly, something always comes up. <_<

My 3-year-old daughter is a rider. She finally got to ride Woodstock Express. took her front seat for her first ride. She LOVED it. She would ride it over and over again if she could. She also very badly wants to ride the "loopty-loop" (Vortex). She just has 8 more inches to grow, lol.

• Like 2

My first coaster came at the age of 13. I was horrified of the things. My mom tricked me into going on Flight of Fear to break my coaster-virginity. She told convinced the group in front of us to tell me that it was just a room that spins around a whole bunch. Which was partially right. But I got off of it and was in love. So naturally, my dad threw me on Son of Beast without even batting an eye. Cause thats a good idea.. needless to say, it beat the snot out of me. I LOVED it. lol. Shocking right? Its just one of those things where adriniline took over and I got an attachment for the coaster. More so than Beast actuallly.

But thats how my addiction started.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...