Cedar Point Questions

I know there are so many of these topics but I have some specific questions.

My friend just asked me if I wanted to come with him to Cedar Point next week so of course I said yes, and this will be my first ever time. But I have a couple of Q's:

1. Is Mantis a must-not ride? Or should I at least try it out?

2. What rides can you skip (specifically roller coasters) without missing out on a lot?

3. Is there any difference between Delirium and Max-Air?

4. What are some must ride flats at CP?

5. Will Top Thrill Dragster freak the heck out of me (the launch looks insane :P)!

Any other good tips would help me and my friend out (my friend and I?) when we're at the park. Like where to eat, what rides to ride first, etc. (we are staying two days so we don't really have to rush).

Ride Mantis it's a decent coaster.

Skip Iron Dragon. Skip Disaster Transport.

Delirum is same as Max-Air except larger.

Ride Cedar Fair Downs and Sky Hawk

Ride Top Thrill Dragster in the front seat. Big difference, it's like all the speed and being able to see so much overloads your brain. It will freak you out in the front, but it will all be over before you can have a heart attack so don't worry.

Call Maui Sands Hotel. You will be able to get a ridiculous good rate there for the type of room you will get.

Get to the park for early ride time if you have a pass or stay at a resort. There is also late ride time on Tuesdays for platinum pass holders, they alternate weeks between Millenium and TTD. I power rode TTD 4x in a hour an hour. Ride Maverick EARLY in the morning first thing. Park in the resorts lot in the back, tell the parking attendant that you want to park back there. Raptor and Wicked Twister will have short lines in the late afternoon - avoid the front of the park in the morning.

Go out to the beach.

Eat at Pinks once.

• Like 2

Many would recommend the second row on Top Thrill Dragster instead of the first. The stadium-seating still offers great views, but the patriots in front of you get all the bugs and whipping wind.

Don't skip Disaster Transport. It's a fun, unique ride that will no longer be there this time next year.

maXair and Delirium are the same, but the views offered are completely different. And with such huge capacity, a line spilling onto the midway still doesn't amount to more than 15 minutes so don't skip it. Skyhawk is incredible. You'll be there for plenty of time so don't plan to skip anything.

Literally almost every coaster there was the biggest / tallest / fastest of its kind at one time so riding them all as fast as possible can be exhausting and, frankly, awful. Take time to ride the flat rides, family coasters, etc. When time permits, spend a few minutes on the beach. It's not perfect, but it's very lovely and has spectacular views of WindSeeker and Wicked Twister (and yes, ride both). Camp Snoopy is even worth strolling through. Planet Snoopy is entirely relocated from Geauga Lake and done really well.

When you're on the brake run of Top Thrill Dragster, you'll probably think, "That was the best coaster I've ever been on." The same can probably be said of Millennium and Maverick (but you MUST ride Maverick in the front row to come off with a positive experience!). Have fun! Explore the nooks and crannies! It's a massive, massive park with much to offer.

• Like 1

And do what you want to do. Don't let others' advice keep you from trying things out for yourself. For many years, I ascribed to the conventional enthusiasts' wisdom at the time that Six Flags Great Adventure was dirty, dangerous and little better than a dump. Finally, against my better judgment, I went, only to find a delightfully wonderful phantasmagoria of seasonal theme park goodness mixed with the unexpected.

Go. Have a great time. And definitely ride everything you can. Some things won't be there next year. Heck, some of us won't be here next year. Enjoy all you can while you can.

• Like 6

I've been to Cedar Point a few times and loved it. Make sure to ride Maverick (my favorite roller coaster ever!), Millenium Force, Dragster (yes, it's a bit scary the first time, but it's sure to be a blast! :lol:), Raptor, and Magnum. Gemini, Wicked Twister and Disaster Transport are also good. Witches' Wheel and Power Tower (both sides) are great flat rides.

1. Definitely give Mantis a try. It may surprise you like it did me; I now rank Mantis above all steel coasters at KI, even DB. Front row is worth the extra wait (and that line moves four at a time, so it's faster than some other coasters' front seat lines).

2. If you've got two days, you've got time to hit all the coasters. Don't worry about it.

3. Same ride but different views. Also, I believe maXair typically doesn't have as long of a line as Delirium, so take advantage of that.

4. Skyhawk and Witches' Wheel. The latter was the first ride in nearly a year that I was truly scared on when I rode it about a year ago.

5. TTD is very, very intense and even more so in the front seat, but it's also over in the blink of an eye. As to whether it will freak you out, I can't answer that. I recommend you just give it a go.

6. Pink's. Pink's. Pink's. Did I mention Pink's?

7. If you can do ERT, I recommend entering through the Marina Gate if at all possible and hightailing it to Millie as soon as they allow you to. If you get there quickly, you can get a short wait for the front seat, which will have a significant line even during ERT. After that, go to Maverick, which doesn't build up nearly as long of a front seat line since they can put 6 of every 36 riders up front compared to just 2 of every 36 on MF. After Maverick, go wait in line for TTD so you're not faced with the longer lines later in the day (and this is another opportunity to potentially get a shorter-than-usual front seat wait, which can easily be an extra 30 minutes all day long). Raptor will likely have shorter lines in the evening and can wait until then.

8. Take a few minutes to relax on the beach. Get a handstamp at the Resorts Gate, go down to the edge of the beach, take your shoes and socks off, and just stroll leisurely down the beach to the Beach Gate. Or go the other way. Take the time to feel the sand between your toes. Wriggle your feet down into the sand and use your hands to create a pile of sand around your legs, then sit down and rest for a few minutes with your feet still buried. Maybe go down to the water's edge and wade through the shallow water (but only in the designated swimming area!) or even just lay down in the sand for a few minutes and rest. There are spray stations at each exit off the beach where you can rinse off the sand. A little R&R goes a long way toward keeping you going all day.

9. Above all, have fun!

• Like 2

My friend just asked me if I wanted to come with him to Cedar Point next week so of course I said yes, and this will be my first ever time. But I have a couple of Q's:

2. What rides can you skip (specifically roller coasters) without missing out on a lot?

5. Will Top Thrill Dragster freak the heck out of me (the launch looks insane :P)!

Any other good tips would help me and my friend out (my friend and I?) when we're at the park. Like where to eat, what rides to ride first, etc. (we are staying two days so we don't really have to rush).

1) If you haven't done a Stand-Up...yes it's a check it out ride. It's not my absolute favorite ride at the park, but will ride it if the queue is short and I've done just about everything else.

2) Corkscrew and Cedar Creek Mine Ride are the two that you can skip. I usually on skip CCMR.

3) Max Air's restraints are a little bit more friendly, and I believe it goes a bit higher, not 100% positive on that.

4) Cedar Downs....you must ride it. SkyHawk, WindSeeker (even if you've been on KI's, it provides a great view!), Calypso and the Cadillac Cars.

5) It depends on your "freak out" level. I enjoy TTD, the launch is intense, but I think going up, cresting and down the Top Hat are quite nice.

Park in the Soak City lot if possible. If you can get in with ERT, do TTD, then Maverick, MF, Raptor (if you have time). Do Raptor later in the evening to avoid the front gate rush. If you can swing it, eat at Midway Market, it's delicious!

Expect to wait an hour for Millennium, longer for Maverick, and 30 minutes - 60 minutes for Top Thrill Dragster. Sometimes longer, sometimes shorter, but you will wait unless you buy Fast Lane (which you won't need, especially with two days). Some days, the line for Mantis backs up due to the ride's loading procedure. Raptor's line is VERY long first thing in the morning and it's a really miserable line to wait in - in the evening, you probably won't wait longer than 15 minutes, so save it for then.

A strategy I use when I leave for lunch is to park at Soak City when I come back - easier access for night rides on Millennium, Maverick, and Magnum (all are fantastic night rides, so try to hit them in your two nights there) and easier to get back to the car afterwards. If the Starlight Spectacular is still going on (?) then don't miss it. It's extraordinary.

If they still have the Snoopy ice skating show, it's absolutely worth watching, young or old. It's actually a really cool show, and I didn't expect it to be.

Expect to wait an hour for Millennium, longer for Maverick, and 30 minutes - 60 minutes for Top Thrill Dragster. Sometimes longer, sometimes shorter, but you will wait unless you buy Fast Lane (which you won't need, especially with two days).

Well that's a ton different than Kings Island. Was thinking since I'm going on a weekday it wouldn't be so bad.

^^ Starlight is nothing like it used to be. There are still some lights on the frontier trail, but many have been taken elsewhere in the park. The music is gone, and lights no longer "dance" with each other.

On the other hand, Luminosity is a great new show that makes up for it.

That's a shame. Maybe they can send us some? :P

Weekdays in July are different from weekdays in late August or early May. Cedar Point is also a park that's a real destination park. People plan vacations and road trips around Cedar Point whereas Kings Island has a much more local, regional clientele. That's why Cedar Point has a "resort" feel with multiple on-site hotels. People go to the beach for a half day, then Cedar Point for a day and a half or two, then spend time on waterskis or boating...

You'll have enough time to finish everything, but yes: it's much different than Kings Island's crowd patterns & wait times.

I do not have a Platinum pass, so no ERT for me.

Assuming you have a KI pass, I strongly recommend that you take what would otherwise be put toward admission at CP and use it to upgrade your KI pass to Platinum (remembering that the upgrade must be processed at KI). Even if that doesn't cover the whole difference, the extra money spent will be well worth it between access to ERT and other perks, including useful and meaningful food deals. You'll be glad you did.

Assuming you have a KI pass, I strongly recommend that you take what would otherwise be put toward admission at CP and use it to upgrade your KI pass to Platinum (remembering that the upgrade must be processed at KI). Even if that doesn't cover the whole difference, the extra money spent will be well worth it between access to ERT and other perks, including useful and meaningful food deals. You'll be glad you did.

That sounds great, but it's honestly too much money, especially if I use it just for two days. Unless I have another trip to Cedar Point this year, I don't find the use in paying so much money.

Well that's a ton different than Kings Island. Was thinking since I'm going on a weekday it wouldn't be so bad.

That is not bad, for a weekday at CP.

Typically, CP is packed end of June through mid-August.

Yet with any park, it is difficult to near impossible to predict crowds. No matter how long the lines are, enjoy the views & scenery and enjoy your first trip to the Point!

• Like 1

Expect to wait an hour for Millennium, longer for Maverick, and 30 minutes - 60 minutes for Top Thrill Dragster. Sometimes longer, sometimes shorter, but you will wait unless you buy Fast Lane (which you won't need, especially with two days).

I myself like KI better then CP only becuase of the crowds. CP is busy almost everyday there open, you are just going to have to deal with the crowds. When ever I plan out a CP trip I usually have my day planned out to get the maxium amount of "fun" time. With two days there you should be able to ride everything and a few things twice, just plan on waiting in line. It's goes faster if you bring someone along with you that is a good talker, someone to take your mind off the long wait, it will go quicker!

1. If you've never been on a stand-up, I would ride it. If you have been on one, there's nothing really special about it.

2. Skip Corkscrew, everything else is worth riding.

3. I personally think maXair is better.

4. Skyhawk, I would say that's the most intense flat ride I have been on. I'd also do Cedar Downs, WindSeeker (great views from up there), maXair, Sky Ride and Power Tower (preferably the drop side). Also don't forget, a trip to Cedar Point is not complete without a ride on the train.

5. Top Thrill Dragster is the most intense 17 seconds of your life. Nothing can compare to that launch.

Do Millennium Force then Maverick then just work your way to the front of the park. My family always eats at the Coasters restaurant by Iron Dragon (good food and shakes). I'd recommend spending some time in the Last Chance Saloon too. Have fun!

• Like 1

That sounds great, but it's honestly too much money, especially if I use it just for two days. Unless I have another trip to Cedar Point this year, I don't find the use in paying so much money.

Remember that you don't have to pay the full $179 for the Platinum Pass if you already have a KI pass, just the difference between what you paid for your existing pass and the Platinum price. If you bought your pass during the fall sale last year, that's a difference of just $109, less if you bought it in the offseason or spring. A two-day ticket to CP is going to cost you $67 of that online. The extra $42 is well worth it IMO to get ERT and the food deals, plus you'll then have it available in case you get another chance to go to CP this year (and you never know what life may throw at you).

Remember that you don't have to pay the full $179 for the Platinum Pass if you already have a KI pass, just the difference between what you paid for your existing pass and the Platinum price. If you bought your pass during the fall sale last year, that's a difference of just $109, less if you bought it in the offseason or spring. A two-day ticket to CP is going to cost you $67 of that online. The extra $42 is well worth it IMO to get ERT and the food deals, plus you'll then have it available in case you get another chance to go to CP this year (and you never know what life may throw at you).

Thanks for explaining this, while it sounds like a great deal, I am travelling with my friend's family and I'm pretty sure they won't all do it with me.

But next year I am going to Cedar Point so I might do it next year.

Weekdays. Definitely.

Also, ride Mantis. Make sure you stand above the bicycle seat, and you'll have a great ride. I think you should try and ride maXair, only because of the different views of the midway, and because you haven't ridden Delirium in a long while. Also ride DISpatch mASTER TRANSPORT while you can. I also find Iron Dragon a relaxing ride, and the second half is very fun.

Ride Maverick in the front seat, or else it's not worth your time. If you waited 2 hours, what's 5 more minutes gonna hurt? I also heard Mean Streak is incredible this year, and Blue Streak is still offering great air time.

I don't know if anyone else wonders this, but if anyone "In the Know" knows the answer to this, but how does Wicked Twister's launch work? I don't understand how the same magnets launch and brake both ways.

Don't forget to eat at Pink's and Johnny Rockets!

Other than that, have a FUN day!

EDIT: Also, if you get ERT and Maverick is offered, make sure you knock that out if your list right away. If not, try getting to a ride for ERT that is near Maverick, then head straight to that 'Timmy in the back of the park. Also, if you should accept ERT, don't expect walk ons. You'll still wait for awhile.