Carowinds Windseeker Malfunction

Carowinds has had an episode, Saturday, involving the sudden shutdown of WindSeeker and a two hour delay in getting people off the ride stuck at a height believed to have been 300 feet. Some other parks with WindSeekers have experienced similar issues.

The Charlotte Observer has this story:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/07/14/3382885/tallest-carowinds-ride-malfunctions.html

The fact that there were only 25 people on it on a busy Saturday morning indicates a condition.

The fact the paper did not go into how the guests were evacuated or treated by the park (see even The Sandusky Register, a notorious homer, by comparison) is quite instructive.

This type of event is not something any park or ride manufacturer wants.

Also, don't miss the comments.

A somewhat more detailed article:

http://wap.wsoctv.com/site.htm?targetUrl=http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/WindSeeker-malfunctions-carowinds-riders-stuck-air/nPs9J/

• Like 1

Like Terpy said, the fact that only 25 people were on is a little odd...

I was looking at the clipboard that they use to assign seats last time I was at KI, and they do have to balance it depending on capacity and wind speed, something along these lines:

0-10 mph: If less than 64 riders are in line, fill the opposite colored sections, skipping every 8 pods (32 riders, max I think...don't take my word on that though)

10-20 mph: Fill at least all of the outer seats

20-30 mph: 64 riders minimum.

30 mph+: Ride cannot operate.

So it seems like 25 isn't enough...no matter what the wind speed was... :wacko:

I have read several stories on WindSeeker rides being shut down. I was wondering, is this ride too high, for safe operation?

The wind at 300ft. is always whipping around, unlike on the ground. I was on The Eifel Tower and the wind was really strong up there.

I could only imagine what it woud do to The WindSeeker.

I am not against this ride, I have been on Cedar Point's version, just wondering??

I was at Kings Island in June, and the ride was open and closed several times during the day.

^^ reminds me of the scene in Jurassic Park where Ian Malcolm states that "Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether they could that they didn't stop to think if they should."

Just because you can build a 300+ foot tall swing set or a ride that can go 150 MPH, does that mean you should do this?

• Like 1

^^ reminds me of the scene in Jurassic Park where Ian Malcolm states that "Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether they could that they didn't stop to think if they should."

Just because you can build a 300+ foot tall swing set or a ride that can go 150 MPH, does that mean you should do this?

Ian also says this:

"God help us; we're in the hands of engineers".

Mike B.

The swings were always my favorite as a child. Growing up... the swings got... not as fun. On the way home from KI one day I thought It would be so cool to make a super high swings. About 2 years later... POOF! The wind seeker was born. I Swear some one hacked into my mind or somthing.... because I never told anybody about that. :ph34r:

When something that's not supposed to happen happens, it's news. (The old man bites dog story).

Surely people aren't supposed to be stranded midair on an amusement ride for hours on end.

but the young man bites dog story is not good enough for news? :) love me some commas....

But in seriousness, why have the WindSeekers, company wide, appear to be stranding guests in the air...

The fact that there were only 25 people on it on a busy Saturday morning indicates a condition.

The fact the paper did not go into how the guests were evacuated or treated by the park (see even The Sandusky Register, a notorious homer, by comparison) is quite instructive.

This type of event is not something any park or ride manufacturer wants.

Also, don't miss the comments.

A somewhat more detailed article:

http://wap.wsoctv.co...tuck-air/nPs9J/

Full version of that article, with video: http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/WindSeeker-malfunctions-carowinds-riders-stuck-air/nPs9J/

• 1 year later...

^ The comments on that article are interesting. If the comments are to be believed, they shut down all the other rides, continued to sell tickets and let people in without telling them none of the rides were open, and ejected a family from the park because they tried to tell people in line to buy tickets that the rides were closed.

If those statements are true (and I take anything in newspaper article comment sections with a heavy dose of salt), that is downright... what's the word here?... slimy to refuse to allow guests to know that the rides are all closed until they are inside the park.

I hate that the reporter used the term "accidents" on the video from Terp's link. No-one was hurt, no damage, etc. not an accident.

Edit: I understand the standard definition of an accident. To call it an accident in light of recent events where no one was hurt and no one was killed, seems a bit much. I find the term accident implies injuries or death.

Wonder if they brought out the yellow contraption. If so it still took two hours to get them down... I cant imagine if the wind was strong enough to shut it down at 30 mph, stops the ride, and then increases to 50 or 60 mph with tornado-like conditions. These things should automatically lower if high-wind is detected.

Getting it up is the easy part

Getting it back down seems to be difficult

Insert pun here

Ugh...this is what happens when you go with a company that's built a prototype of this caliber and has never built anything this dynamic before...epic fail

Also edit: from the mondial site, I wonder about this lol

The Mondial Quick Response Service is well known throughout the world.

All Mondial machines are designed to limit the amount of down time to a minimum, but in the unlikely event of any

problems, the Mondial Quick Response Service Team solves the problem in the shortest possible time.

• Like 4